Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame Painting In Michigan

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 12:17 PM
xaztec

Bikes: 1992 Trek 790, 1976/2020 Schwinn Superior, 2000 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Sarthe, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, 2017 Salsa Marrakesh,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Anyone know of anyone who does frame painting in Michigan? Preferably around the Detroit area. I'm customizing/restoring a Schwinn Superior (it was my bike when I was a teenager). There are a couple places that do powder coating but having trouble locating anyone that actually paints frames.

Thanks for any recommendations and sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.
Old 03-09-20, 03:50 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by xaztec
Anyone know of anyone who does frame painting in Michigan? Preferably around the Detroit area. I'm customizing/restoring a Schwinn Superior (it was my bike when I was a teenager).
I've been building and painting frames in Michigan since 1976. I'm in Niles on the other side of the state just above South Bend, Indiana. Matt Assenmacher in Swartz Creek (closer to you) has been doing it even longer than me. He runs a bike store so he usually does paint jobs in the winter. What age is your frame? Is it the age when Schwinn did candy colors or was it later when they did solids?

I'm not sure what kind of paint Matt uses now. We all used to use Dupont Imron (or PPG equivalent). I've found that the House of Kolor pearls + candies can replicate old Schwinn colors. I've been wanting to repaint a 1965 Schwinn Super Sport. If you want to help with the grunt work while I do the spraying we can work out a deal doing them at the same time.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 03-09-20, 09:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I would take Doug's offer up if at all possible. Besides a great paint job you'll have a blast and learn far more then you ever thought was needed.

Have you checked out any motorcycle shops for their painters? I would avoid auto painters if they have had no experience with a bike frame. The differences between spraying a broad and gently flowing shape (like a car body) and that of a frame made of tubing is rather large. The powder coater I have used also offers a wet spray job at about twice the cost of PC. Not up to the grade of Doug's work but local to me and less $.

Some (like Doug has to me) will say that of all aspects of a self built frame that should be splurged on the paint is #1 . Why? because the lay person will see the finish grade and assume the frame building is of the same level of skill. So a cheap PC or wet job will be stating the frame build is also of a cheap and cost savings manor. Andy
Old 09-30-20, 11:34 AM
Jackleelanau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 72 paramount in Traverse stripped to bare metal,looking for painter and ball

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I've been building and painting frames in Michigan since 1976. I'm in Niles on the other side of the state just above South Bend, Indiana. Matt Assenmacher in Swartz Creek (closer to you) has been doing it even longer than me. He runs a bike store so he usually does paint jobs in the winter. What age is your frame? Is it the age when Schwinn did candy colors or was it later when they did solids?

I'm not sure what kind of paint Matt uses now. We all used to use Dupont Imron (or PPG equivalent). I've found that the House of Kolor pearls + candies can replicate old Schwinn colors. I've been wanting to repaint a 1965 Schwinn Super Sport. If you want to help with the grunt work while I do the spraying we can work out a deal doing them at the same time.
  1. I have a 72 Paramount striped to bare metal in Traverse City looking for some one to paint it and a ball park price
  2. jack, I do not think Assenmacher is currently painting as I contacted them about painting my 70’s Viner
Old 10-08-20, 12:34 PM
xaztec

Bikes: 1992 Trek 790, 1976/2020 Schwinn Superior, 2000 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Sarthe, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, 2017 Salsa Marrakesh,

Assenmacher closed their Flint store which had the paint shop. They've only got the Grand Blanc store now and not planning to do any painting. He does great frame work though. He's done all the frame work on this superior so far.
Old 12-11-20, 05:59 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
Assenmacher closed their Flint store which had the paint shop. They've only got the Grand Blanc store now and not planning to do any painting. He does great frame work though. He's done all the frame work on this superior so far.
ahhhh... nuts. https://www.assenmachers.com/about/b...epair-pg66.htm

I have a couple of frames I would like to get wet-painted and not powder coated.

xaztec -- i would be curious to know if you found a local painter or went with Mr. Doug Fattic. Thanks.
as a passing thought: https://tedsliwinski.com/gldgld - out of Metropolis Cycles on Mich. Ave in Corktown. He seems to build more than just bike frames. I wonder if he paints or has a solid contact.
If I get serious I'll post an update. But it'll be next year.
Thanks.
Old 12-11-20, 06:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
I have seen examples of Doug Fattic's paintwork and it is highly recommended.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-11-20, 06:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
If it doesn't work out with Doug, send it to Franklin Frames in Ohio
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-11-20, 08:18 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
H&H powder coating/

did a 3 color fade w/metallic clear coat a few years past for $150.the owner knows his biz.https://hhpowdercoating.com/

Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-11-20, 08:55 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
did a 3 color fade w/metallic clear coat a few years past for $150.the owner knows his biz.https://hhpowdercoating.com/
Groovy! Thanks.
I was thinking powder for My trail bike.
I’ll check it out soon.
Old 12-11-20, 11:05 PM
xaztec

Originally Posted by mrv
ahhhh... nuts. https://www.assenmachers.com/about/b...epair-pg66.htm

I have a couple of frames I would like to get wet-painted and not powder coated.

xaztec -- i would be curious to know if you found a local painter or went with Mr. Doug Fattic. Thanks.
as a passing thought: https://tedsliwinski.com/gldgld - out of Metropolis Cycles on Mich. Ave in Corktown. He seems to build more than just bike frames. I wonder if he paints or has a solid contact.
If I get serious I'll post an update. But it'll be next year.
Thanks.
MRV, COVID put the kibosh on painting with Doug as he's on the other side of Michigan. I haven't painted it yet. Thinking of just clearcoating it as is...at least for now. I'll see how things are in things spring and hopefully Doug is safe and sound and still willing.
Likes For xaztec:
Old 12-12-20, 07:57 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

rattle can

This is me attempting to do a color fade on a $60 Facebook Bianchi- complete.
I am thinking of returning it to a proper Celeste green Probably a powder coat.
Its not a bad frame. 1990 double butted lugged made in Taiwan. Only clears a 2 inch tire but a better bike won’t speed me up on the trails.
The point- you can rattle can to protect the frame. It’s not as good as a pro. But sometimes it’s fine.
cheers

- funny my screen grab caught the mute message
Old 12-13-20, 06:23 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Thinking of just clearcoating it as is...at least for now.
I think I'd recommend a just a primer if you have a bare steel frame. My understanding - and I am open to correction - clear coating may not protect the metal as you are intending, or may not adhere well.
Take care and let me know how your painting endeavor works out.
Old 12-13-20, 06:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
clear coating looks cool for a while as the rust slowly takes over. After about a year you'll be sick of it and want paint

Last summer, I figured out what the car guys are doing for bare steel look and promptly forgot. Oil works pretty well. Boiled linseed oil covered in wax works okay. I have thought about using cold gun blue followed by oil and wax.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-13-20 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 02:32 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I've tried cold gun blue then a bit of WD40. Then let that dry and 2K clear. It looks pretty badass but it remains to be seen how well it will hold up.