Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

39 Paramount #A702

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

39 Paramount #A702

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 08:06 PM
pakman
ad hoc bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Schninn stamp was on Paramount and Superior cranksets.
Old 12-17-14, 09:01 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I tried to read the stamp on the crank:

and when I blew it up I couldn't help but notice the crack in the chainring that damn near killed me and required the frame be returned to Schwinn for repair.

I think the issue is one of handwriting style. No way would they overlook that. (I do have another chainring)
Old 12-17-14, 10:38 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
In my discussion with Curtis Odom I believe I remember him saying something about the mis-spelling being intentional because of some legal requirement. I don't remember the details, but maybe he'll chime in.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-17-14, 11:43 PM
kylarr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by St33lWh33ls
Another member posted this bike on the Craiglist thread last week. I want to eventually have a Paramount track bike from the 30's, 50's, and 70's; two down one to go. Its going to take some time to gather parts so in the meantime its back in the box and off to Waterford for paint.
That was me!

I am glad you got it. I was sorely tempted and it was just down the road from me.

I cant wait to see the after paint pictures.
Old 12-18-14, 07:13 AM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kylarr
That was me!

I am glad you got it. I was sorely tempted and it was just down the road from me.

I cant wait to see the after paint pictures.
Kylarr, thanks for posting it, I didn’t think I would have an opportunity to purchase a vintage Paramount closer to my size. My 1951 Paramount is a 20 inch frame, this 1939 is 23 inches so I was very happy to get it. The man who sold me the bike is one of the authors of “The Six-Day Bicycle Races: America's Jazz-Age Sport”, he has a well-known online museum of fantastic vintage bicycles including Alf Goullet’s 1923 Spencer Special. Some of those bikes are still on display in the bike shop there, if you get an opportunity you should go and see them if you haven’t already.
Old 12-18-14, 08:25 AM
Curtis Odom 

Bikes: BSA, Confente, Hetchins, Peugeot, Winter, De Rosa (modern), Schwinn, etc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
Cool, my favorite Schwinn trivia subject has been brought up. The "Schninn" was brought to my attention sometime in the late 70's. Seems very few people ever noticed this (I guess they were not meant to). The story I got from an old geezer back then was it was a type of import duty tax dodge. I have seen the Schninn stamp on hubs, cranks, brakes, brake levers, and maybe more. To me these all appeared to be British made parts.
Old 12-18-14, 12:22 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Curtis Odom
Cool, my favorite Schwinn trivia subject has been brought up. The "Schninn" was brought to my attention sometime in the late 70's. Seems very few people ever noticed this (I guess they were not meant to). The story I got from an old geezer back then was it was a type of import duty tax dodge. I have seen the Schninn stamp on hubs, cranks, brakes, brake levers, and maybe more. To me these all appeared to be British made parts.
That was it! Now I remember the details of our conversation at the 2012 NAHBS in Sacramento.

my bikes

Old 12-18-14, 08:38 PM
kylarr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by St33lWh33ls
Kylarr, thanks for posting it, I didn’t think I would have an opportunity to purchase a vintage Paramount closer to my size. My 1951 Paramount is a 20 inch frame, this 1939 is 23 inches so I was very happy to get it. The man who sold me the bike is one of the authors of “The Six-Day Bicycle Races: America's Jazz-Age Sport”, he has a well-known online museum of fantastic vintage bicycles including Alf Goullet’s 1923 Spencer Special. Some of those bikes are still on display in the bike shop there, if you get an opportunity you should go and see them if you haven’t already.
Yeah, I often stop in and see what is hanging on the walls when I am waiting for the Bainbridge-Seattle ferry. He also brings a spectacular array of bikes to the Seattle bike expo. He and Bob Freeman make that show something special. I am going to hunt down a copy of his book, I don't know much on the subject.
Old 12-18-14, 10:16 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by kylarr
Yeah, I often stop in and see what is hanging on the walls when I am waiting for the Bainbridge-Seattle ferry. He also brings a spectacular array of bikes to the Seattle bike expo. He and Bob Freeman make that show something special. I am going to hunt down a copy of his book, I don't know much on the subject.
There's a really good DVD too. The book and DVD complement each other.

Book Jacket

DVD Cover

my bikes

Old 12-19-14, 07:13 AM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
You beat me to it Scooper, yes the DVD is fantastic, lots of interviews with the riders and some very interesting history. When I figured out who I was buying the bike from I had him sign me a copy and send it along with the DVD, he threw in a couple other items as well, a real good guy. If you like vintage bicycles (even if you don't) you need to check this book out and watch the DVD, fascinating stuff.
Old 12-19-14, 08:07 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Thanks, I ordered a copy of both.

My next door neighbor raced on the board tracks pre-WWII.
We overhauled his old race bike in the basement when I was (barely) tall enough to pedal it.
My 1st "race bike" ride was on the real thing: wooden rims, fixed gear and no brakes. I was hooked.
>50 years on I wonder what became of that bike w/ his name on the top tube.......nice to see these machines still in service.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 12-19-14 at 05:08 PM.