Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looks like I may have been wrong about disc brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 01:12 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Last spring I posted a thread saying the disc brakes are here to stay, and becoming more popular all the time. Where I may have gone wrong is just how soon they may take over. I predicted that in 5 years most bikes would have them.

Now-----------------I just received my latest free issue of Bicycling magazine. Thumbing thru and looking at all the articles and ad, almost ALL the bikes pictured have disc brakes. And that is both on mountain bikes and road or racing bikes. Most ads are for 2018 models.

As always I see this as a good thing.
Old 09-15-17, 01:25 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Discs seemed gimmicky to me...

...until I road a bike with them. Then I bought a new bike largely to get disc brakes. They are no joke. ESPECIALLY when they are wet. Nothing like pulling the brake handles...and confidently knowing you are going to stop
Old 09-15-17, 01:26 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
How do you get that mag for free if I may ask?
Old 09-15-17, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Advertising revenue driven Bicycling magazine is a very narrow keyhole to view the world through, try to get outside more ,

and read some real books...

Because of the Pressure to make rapid wheel changes and even take spares from neutral service , the Rim brake will stay the staple of the Grand tours.
one consumer buying one bike yea the market is pushing discs and through axle forks. Makes a very very slow wheel change..
but less likely they will forget to close the QR lever, and go find a lawyer..

But Cyclocross Where they just grab a whole bike from their pit crew as they lap past it, Discs seem to show up..

World championships in KY the disc brake using guy came in 10th.. they had to get a hole free disc flown in overnight ,
because the sand retained in the holes in the edge of the disc tore thru the pads in less than an hour, the length of the Sr race.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-15-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 03:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
How do you get that mag for free if I may ask?
I really dont know for sure, and would really like to know.

The address label says------------10 free issues from Nuttzo. I would like to know who he is and thank him.
Old 09-15-17, 05:10 PM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
Thumbing thru and looking at all the articles and ad, almost ALL the bikes pictured have disc brakes. And that is both on mountain bikes and road or racing bikes.
I need to check the bicycle aisle at one of the closest stores.
A $79 bicycle with disk brakes should be a bargain.

Old 09-15-17, 05:22 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
It's Re-re-re-re-re-re-Post rotation time for the "Disc Brake Post" again, again, again, again, to re-re-sing the same song once more again.
I was hoping for "Why Go Fast? "or the "Recumbents: Anything Else is Stupid" posts to to re-re-re-re-resurrect to warble those well-flogged old tunes, but the undisputed authority of Bicycling magazine does take precedence.

Bandera
Old 09-15-17, 06:09 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
This is definitely a re-hash of an old issue. But maybe some members, including new ones, might enjoy it. So if you don't want to participate, don't - your choice.
Old 09-15-17, 06:17 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Last spring I posted a thread saying the disc brakes are here to stay, and becoming more popular all the time. Where I may have gone wrong is just how soon they may take over. I predicted that in 5 years most bikes would have them.

Now-----------------I just received my latest free issue of Bicycling magazine. Thumbing thru and looking at all the articles and ad, almost ALL the bikes pictured have disc brakes. And that is both on mountain bikes and road or racing bikes. Most ads are for 2018 models.

As always I see this as a good thing.
You will be assimilated, ha ha ha
Old 09-15-17, 06:33 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Eh, I got a Diverge with discs a couple of months ago. They're fine but honestly I prefer rim brakes. Unless it's wet of course.
Old 09-15-17, 06:52 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Been there and done that. I am a competent bike mechanic, and can easily enough remount a wheel quickly after having a flat. But it's never that quick when riding a bike with disk brakes. It is very seldom that the wheel goes on exactly as it came off, and some adjustment of the wheel and caliper is necessary to prevent rubbing. Caliper brakes seldom have this problem, v-brakes sometimes rub after a wheel change, but with practice, the brakes can be centered without tools (bending the return spring on one of the brake arms one way or the other with your hand slightly, to equalize tension). For casual rides, touring, or riding off road, disks are great, you can spend an extra minute or ten fiddling around with them. But for competitive road riding, they are not an option.

Rim brakes are simple, work well in most conditions, and can be maintained and adjusted by those who are not very mechanically-inclined. Even in wet conditions, applying the brake early will clear the rim of water, and even disk brakes are not immune to reducing stopping power when wet.
Old 09-15-17, 06:56 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Whats this thread about?
Old 09-15-17, 07:36 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
Been there and done that. I am a competent bike mechanic, and can easily enough remount a wheel quickly after having a flat. But it's never that quick when riding a bike with disk brakes. It is very seldom that the wheel goes on exactly as it came off, and some adjustment of the wheel and caliper is necessary to prevent rubbing.

Rim brakes are simple, work well in most conditions, and can be maintained and adjusted by those who are not very mechanically-inclined. ....
I have 2 disc brake bikes with QR and one with through axle and the wheel always positions back exactly as I took it out and don't need to adjust caliper. not sure if you have a problem with your axles if they don't set in the same way.
one of the bikes had cheap mechanical brakes first and the rotor never really fit (only had one-moving pad, so it bent the rotor). But after upgrading to hydraulic the problem disappeared (same rotors).

As for adjustment, that is just it, hydraulic brakes don't need any adjustment between pad changes (and not even then) provided the rotor doesn't bend. They are self-adjusting for pad wear.

I think what most problems are with disc brakes are either mechanical brakes, or some badly designed or undersized ones. If you have good shimano brakes and 180mm rotor front and 160 mm rear you never have problems. Problem I see on road bikes they use 140 mm rotors and cable brakes.... doh, sure that is not good, but more an accounting problem than an actual disc brake problem.

I only have a hybrid and a fat bike, so don't know much about road bikes. But I enjoy watching GCN show and it seems dis is overtaking the road fraction as well. I think the only thing in the way is UCI regulation and the fact roadbikers want brifters and since hydraulic lever and caliper need to be the same type, this is hard to make.

Some people have a problem with change. but the market will speak and nothing you can do besides doing some custom builds.
Old 09-15-17, 07:55 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Meh, I got a bike with discs because it was a steal. They're really not the cat's meow, my V-brakes work every bit as well
Old 09-15-17, 08:04 PM
tnburban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have too much money tied up in rim brake wheel sets right now, so I can't embrace disc brakes...ask me again once I wear out these wheels.
Old 09-15-17, 08:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Bandera
It's Re-re-re-re-re-re-Post rotation time for the "Disc Brake Post" again, again, again, again, to re-re-sing the same song once more again.
I was hoping for "Why Go Fast? "or the "Recumbents: Anything Else is Stupid" posts to to re-re-re-re-resurrect to warble those well-flogged old tunes, but the undisputed authority of Bicycling magazine does take precedence.

Bandera
So ---------------- I take it you dont like disc brakes. Fine with me. I am just reporting what I observed. Again probably the main reasons are discs are somewhat new especially to road bikes. I admit that the mfg may be playing the public by suggesting your caliper brakes are old fashioned, and you should buy our new bikes with disc brakes. And the since they are getting a lot of attention they are all getting on board, and then it becomes economies of scale to produce as many of them as they can. Simply put the price goes down the more you buy.

BTW I only brought it up again since even I am amazed at how fast discs are coming on line.
Old 09-15-17, 09:02 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
Been there and done that. I am a competent bike mechanic, and can easily enough remount a wheel quickly after having a flat. But it's never that quick when riding a bike with disk brakes. It is very seldom that the wheel goes on exactly as it came off, and some adjustment of the wheel and caliper is necessary to prevent rubbing.
I am not defending any position on which brakes are better or why, I have both and have no problem with either one, wet, dry, muddy, cold, hot, modulation, stopping power etc. But... I have NEVER had that problem not even a single time where my rotor rubbed or was not aligned and I have my wheels off often and I have standard QR. I have TRP HYD/RD which are self centering and self adjusting. I still flip my bike over just because I always have and its just easier for me when removing wheels or at least when putting them on so maybe that makes them align easier with no effort.

I saw a full suspension bike at Walmart recently that had front disc, vbrake rear and both still had a conventional axle with nuts.

Last edited by u235; 09-15-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 09:47 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Then I bought a new bike largely to get disc brakes. They are no joke. ESPECIALLY when they are wet.
There really is no downside to them is there. I still have an older bike with rim brakes I ride from time to time but I never take it near hills anymore. Just the noise of RB's, as subtle as they are is an annoyance now.
Old 09-15-17, 09:49 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Meh, I got a bike with MECHANICAL discs because it was a steal. They're really not the cat's meow, my V-brakes work every bit as well
There, fixed it for you
Old 09-15-17, 11:27 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Hydro discs on the mtn bike...Oh yeah. Discs on the CF roadie...No

close the thread now.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 09-15-17 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 05:39 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
Just the noise of RB's, as subtle as they are is an annoyance now.
Funny, the silence of my rim brakes are one reason I prefer them over my discs.
Old 09-16-17, 07:09 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I am not defending any position on which brakes are better or why, I have both and have no problem with either one, wet, dry, muddy, cold, hot, modulation, stopping power etc. But... I have NEVER had that problem not even a single time where my rotor rubbed or was not aligned and I have my wheels off often and I have standard QR. I have TRP HYD/RD which are self centering and self adjusting. I still flip my bike over just because I always have and its just easier for me when removing wheels or at least when putting them on so maybe that makes them align easier with no effort.

I saw a full suspension bike at Walmart recently that had front disc, vbrake rear and both still had a conventional axle with nuts.
I agree with @Sangetsu in that I find it takes more finesse to reinstall a wheel with disk brakes after repairing a flat. But obviously neither are difficult or complicated.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-16-17, 07:48 AM
trainsktg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
For me, being a bigger than the average cyclist, having the same size rim brakes as everyone else while in wet or steeper downhill conditions is like having Corolla sized brakes installed on an F150 Supercrew. I am much more confident on my disc brake bikes in other than optimal conditions.

Keith
Old 09-16-17, 09:04 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I'm on the side of still preferring traditional caliper brakes. I've never had an issue with not being able to lock up my wheels if needed. Nevertheless, I will agree that disc brakes have a better ability to stop the wheel from rotating. But in the end, stopping efficiency literally comes down to where the rubber meets the road. Once you've locked up the wheel the only thing that matters is the amount of traction/tire surface that is on the ground.

One thing that I've often wondered about since disc brakes on bicycles have come around...is why better braking was never developed using traditional caliper (or V type) brakes. It seems that someone would have developed a rim that has a thin (interchangeable) steel (or some other material) braking surface so that brake pads made of better braking material (i.e. ceramic) could be used...something other than rubber that works in wet conditions. Yeah, it's probably going to weigh a bit more, but disc brakes also weigh more than caliper brakes. I dunno...seems to me that disc brakes for bicycles was thinking just a little to far outside the box.

Dan
Old 09-16-17, 09:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I'm on the side of still preferring traditional caliper brakes. I've never had an issue with not being able to lock up my wheels if needed. Nevertheless, I will agree that disc brakes have a better ability to stop the wheel from rotating. But in the end, stopping efficiency literally comes down to where the rubber meets the road. Once you've locked up the wheel the only thing that matters is the amount of traction/tire surface that is on the ground.

One thing that I've often wondered about since disc brakes on bicycles have come around...is why better braking was never developed using traditional caliper (or V type) brakes. It seems that someone would have developed a rim that has a thin (interchangeable) steel (or some other material) braking surface so that brake pads made of better braking material (i.e. ceramic) could be used...something other than rubber that works in wet conditions. Yeah, it's probably going to weigh a bit more, but disc brakes also weigh more than caliper brakes. I dunno...seems to me that disc brakes for bicycles was thinking just a little to far outside the box.

Dan
I dont use disc brakes, but you missed the 2 big benefits of disc brakes- modulation and easeier lever pull.
Yes, i too can lock up caliper, vbrake, and canti brakes...but disc brakes arent just about more power, they also allow for better feathered braking and getting close to locking up without actually locking up.
The other benefit is how easy the brake levers are to engage. People with smaller and/or weaker hands will have an easier time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.