Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How windy is your City?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How windy is your City?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 06:24 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
How windy is your City?

Frankly my Dear... (insert "Gone with the Wind" pun here).

Recently, Canadian Cycling magazine took into account the top gustiest Canadian cities and compiled the data into an article. Here are their findings:

5th place: Vancouver BC and the environs

Vancouvers' average winds: 12.2 km/h Max recorded wind speed: 129 km/h – The average daily winds in Abbotsford are only 8.3 km/h, but they can escalate quickly – the city’s recorded maximum gust is 145 km/h.

4th place: Winnipeg, MB (yours truly's home town)
Cyclists in Winnipeg might not face steep mountain climbs or even rolling hills, but they are almost certain to encounter wind on every ride they go on. The Prairie city’s maximum record gust of 129 km/h is noteworthy, and local riders can’t ignore the city’s 17.1 km/h average winds.

3rd place: Regina, Sask
The wind averages 18.4 km/h, and the region’s record max gust of 153 km/h

2nd place: Lethbridge, Alta.,
home to the world’s largest wind gauge (just for show). Environment Canada called the city Canada’s second windiest area, averaging 115 days with winds higher than 40 km/h each year. With average winds of 18.3 km/h and a record max gust of 171 km/h

Drum roll please...........

#1 St. John’s, NB tops the list of Canada’s windiest cities. With an average annual wind speed of 21.9 km/h, cyclists in the region are used to the ever-present movement of air. (ha!). The record for the most powerful wind gust in St. John’s is an impressive 193 km/h.
Old 03-01-18, 07:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a SRAM.

Colorado Springs is not especially windy (Annual WInd Speed Average ~7mph/11kph) but we have the world's most wind-shear prone airport as cold air spills down the face of the foothills and mixes with warm air rising off the plains, making for rolling turbulence. Hong Kong used to share the distinction before moving their airport.

Wind-shear is not a problem for ground-based transportation

Last edited by BobbyG; 03-01-18 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 08:06 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I suspect Toronto and the GTA are somewhere in the middle of that list. Whatever the average is it's too high for my liking.
Old 03-01-18, 09:27 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This thread got me curious, so I looked on the web and found the avg. wind speed for Tampa. Lowest was in August at 6.9 MPH the highest was in March at 9.4 MPH. I guess that makes it about 8.15 MPH avg. year round.
Old 03-01-18, 09:50 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I am not saying my city is windy but
I don't have to pedal uphill.
Old 03-01-18, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
On the coast @ columbia river. winter storms at sea come ashore.

Columbia gorge is windier, Prized place for windsurfing, that's why they go there..

river cut through the Cascades as geological forces pushed them higher on both sides..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-01-18 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 10:10 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
It's not particularly windy here, but I always seem to be riding into it.
Old 03-01-18, 10:42 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like it's 10.6 here.. I believe it. Winds right now are from the NE or NW but should be switching from the south here in the next couple weeks. 4 years and already know what to expect.
Old 03-01-18, 11:03 AM
samanthadavies

Bikes: cervelo s3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know about Canada but today in North West spain you couldn't even bring an umbrella to protect you from the rain! Never seen so many umbrellas in bins hahha
Old 03-01-18, 11:20 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I suspect Toronto and the GTA are somewhere in the middle of that list. Whatever the average is it's too high for my liking.
Should be. Can't be as bad as here, though (SW Ontario)? Gack.

Speaking of the list, I can attest to Saint John (NB). I spend the summers in the region. Never Not Windy.
Old 03-01-18, 12:23 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I don't know what's it's average normally is but there have been an awful lot of circa 20mph winds here recently, last night was -2° C and 22 mph winds having dropped down from 45 mph earlier in the day and it was the 1st time with this awful weather we've had recently I said forget it and skipped my Wednesday night ride!

It's OK when it's that cold and no wind but anything over 15mph and it starts becoming purgatory in my opinion.
Old 03-01-18, 12:24 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Recently, Canadian Cycling magazine took into account the top gustiest Canadian cities and compiled the data into an article. Here are their findings:...
Recently I replied to this thread, "How Much Wind Do You Tolerate?"
Originally Posted by RFEngineer
At what point will you cancel your ride because of the wind? 15 (24 kph) mp hsustained winds? 20? (32) 30 (46) ? I've had a couple beautiful days here lately, but the wind has been ridiculous. There's no way I can have an enjoyable time in 20 mph winds.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I cycle-commute to work (14 miles one-way) so I have motivation to go out and ride, no matter what the wind. I have recently posted to the thread, "So do you track? How do you track? and what do you track?"
On my Excell spreadsheet I track:...
  • Wind speed and direction: Either as recorded on a weather station, or on a personal 1 to 6 scale (headwind / tailwind) based on flying flags; to explain variations in average speed...
Here in Boston, wind speeds of 4 of 6 on my scale are rare, less than once a year, and gusts do have the force to push me laterally. I don't conscientiously think about falling tree limbs, but such usually occur with rainstorms that dissuade riding.

It's useful to assess wind speed and direction because on good and bad riding days, sometimes it's hard to know if it's me and my energy levels or the wind that's responsible.

My most dangerous wind riding was along the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, with gusts that vigorously pushed us laterally to the left; about a 5 of 6, graded retrospectively.
My idea of a 1 to 6 scale of wind phenomena (waving flags) to guage wind force (speed) is based on the formalized Beaufort Wind Force Scale

The Beaufort scale is from 1 (calm) to 12 (hurricane force) and the determination of the scale number is based on defined observations of phenomena such as rising smoke; papers, dust and debris on the ground; wave heights; flags; umbrellas unfurling, etc.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Beaufort scale is an empirical measure that relates windspeed to observed conditions at sea or on land. Its full name is the Beaufort wind force scale

Today, many countries have abandoned the scale and use the metric system based units, m/s or km/h, instead,but the severe weather warnings given to the public are still approximately the same as when using the Beaufort scale.
On review of the Beaufort scale descriptions, I would estimate my determination of 4 of 6 equivalent to the Beaufort number of about 5 of 13 (“fresh breeze” ;wind speed of 19-24 mph/29-38 km/hr).

One standard for assessing wind speed with a weather vane or flag, is that it should be unobstructed, and about 20 feet above ground. I make my determination on flags of at least a few feet in length. The Beaufort number of 3 (“gentle breeze,” 8-12 mph) is identified when “Leaves and small twigs in constant motion; light flags extended.”

My personal 1 to 6 scale is a handy way to make that assessment en route. BTW, I have found a semi-quantitative scale of 1 to 6 a pretty suitable estimation for wind speed; I also use such a scale to evaluate my levels of dress by temperature increments.

I picked it up on a whitewater rafting trip when I learned the difficulty of rivers is determined as 1 to 6.
Originally Posted by kbarch
Jim's 1-6 scale reminded me of the Beaufort scale, which goes to 12 (for hurricanes) - and I suspect the numbers are fairly close, seeing how a 6 on the Beaufort scale is a "strong breeze" of 25-31 mph. It isn't until you get to an 8 or a gale that twigs get snapped off and progress gets generally impeded.

I always liked the description of 5 on the Beaufort scale: Fresh Breeze. Sounds nice, but at 19-24 mph, above most cyclists' comfort range. Seems like many cyclists start to be dissuaded when there's anything more than a Gentle Breeze.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-01-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 01:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
2nd place: Lethbridge, Alta.,
Heh. I did a tour that included a night in Pincher Creek, which is not all that far from Lethbridge. Took PR3 east over Crows Nest Pass and turned off onto the 507 at Burmis. Was pretty windy. That would explain the wind farms west of Pincher Creek, which, by the way, is a sad little town.
Old 03-01-18, 01:31 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Interesting topic. Where I live, it's windier in the summer than the rest of the year. According to a weather site, it averages 7.2 MPH from April through August and 5.7 for the rest of the year but that isn't the whole story.

In the summer, our wind occurs primarily in the afternoon. Starts to pick up in the early afternoon and calms down around 6-7. Between 3 and 6 it can blow pretty good and I generally try to be done with my rides before then. It's rare to get any significant wind in the early morning.

Years ago I worked with someone that rode a bike to work. When he left he would be going with the wind and just hold his jacket open like a sail. He'd get going pretty fast without any pedaling at all.
Old 03-01-18, 01:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tornado Season going to be soon ..
Old 03-01-18, 06:58 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I live just outside of Oklahoma City, which is tied for 5th windiest city in the US with an average wind speed of 12.2 mph (19.6 kph) and a record gust of 107 mph (172 kph).

Of course, that's not counting tornadoes.
Old 03-01-18, 07:16 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I had a look here at Tasmania ...

Windiest places by mean windspeed in Tasmania

Turns out that the windiest spot is just north of Hobart, at Collinsvale with an annual mean windspeed of 27.4 km/h.

Then it appears to be windy up north with windspeeds in the 24 km/h range, out west with windspeeds in the 23 km/h range, and then some more in the Hobart area in the 19-20 km/h range.

Of more interest was the list of calmest places in Australia and it looks like Rowan and I need to pay a visit to Tawonga and Mt Beauty. We are actually talking about a trip to that area, again, maybe next year.
Calmest places by mean windspeed in Australia

According to this: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...al-average.php the annual average windspeed in Hobart (in general) is 15.1 km/h in the morning and 18.4 km/h in the afternoon. That would be when the sea breeze comes in.

Incidentally, I lived in Winnipeg for 13 years, and yes, it was windy, but there were relatively calm months too. Then I came to Tasmania and was blown away (haha) by the amount of wind here!!
Old 03-01-18, 09:38 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Here in Nebr March winds can blow out of the North 40 or 50 mph sometimes more.
Old 03-01-18, 10:01 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Here in Regina the wind can be really bad in the spring and fall. We can go weeks at a time with the wind 40 gusting to 60 km/h during the day. Last year was unusually windy in the spring, 40+ km/h nearly every day for 2 months. And this is a place with no shelter from the wind once you leave the city. Totally destroyed our spring brevet schedule. One ride I skipped I heard people say they couldn't do anymore than 10 km/h into the wind. When it gets windy like that I just stay in town to ride.
Old 03-01-18, 10:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
North Central Texas averages about 16-17 mph, mostly directly from the south or north. This time of year the wind is stronger, including gusts. Today was moderate, 10-15 mph from the north. Last week it was 20-30 mph, shifting from south to north and back again.

And occasionally it shifts from the east or west, which is rare the rest of the year. Good time to snag wind assisted PRs.
Old 03-02-18, 09:03 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tornado Season going to be soon ..
...and hurricane season, which might drive the average up.
Old 03-03-18, 08:20 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I had a look here at Tasmania ...

Windiest places by mean windspeed in Tasmania

Incidentally, I lived in Winnipeg for 13 years, and yes, it was windy, but there were relatively calm months too. Then I came to Tasmania and was blown away (haha) by the amount of wind here!!
Tasmania? I can understand most who live in Winnipeg want to escape it's soviet grasp but you definetely decided on the greatest safe distance from it!
Old 03-04-18, 08:41 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Well
One of the biggest windmill farms anywhere
Palm Springs
A lot of Wind here
(or gov’t subsidies)
Attached Images
Old 03-05-18, 07:46 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5996 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Well
One of the biggest windmill farms anywhere
Palm Springs
A lot of Wind here
(or gov’t subsidies)
The wind energy that turns the blades can't hold you back at the same time, so it's good news for cyclists anyway.

I live in quite a windy place. Most of the year there's 4 Beaufort at least a part of the day, that's 20-28 km/h. It quite regularly gets above 35 km/h which is quite annoying. And there's stormy weather a few times a year, I think that's fun usually, but only for short distances.
Old 03-06-18, 10:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Near North Platte Nebr wind gusts were above 70 mph. We call it March in Nebr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.