Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vehicles that dislike cyclists

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Vehicles that dislike cyclists

Old 11-05-18, 04:14 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Any chance you could start a thread about what bicycling is like in Latvia?
I guess I could, but I don't think it warrants a separate thread as it is not that much different from what I can gather it is in most of US. It certainly is not anywhere near the level as in some other European countries like Denmark or Netherlands.
In short - there is no bicycle infrastructure on country roads; a few of the bigger roads have paved shoulders. The only large city - capital Rīga - has some bike paths/lanes and MUPs, but they mostly aren't interconnected or well designed. Some of the smaller to mid-size towns, on the other hand, are doing pretty well in building adequate bike infrastructure. Cycling is on the whole seems to be on a rapid rise lately, both commuting and amateur sports. In regards of attitude from vehicle drivers, it is mostly allright, but there's always a small percentage of jerks - again, same as everywhere. It's legal to ride on sidewalks; while the traffic laws state that cyclists should use the carriageway, they are allowed to ride on sidewalk if the traffic, weather etc. make it dangerous or impossible to ride on the carriageway. Since this is free to interpretation, many, especially less experienced riders ride on sidewalks at all times. Most of the time, one can hardly blame them.
Old 11-05-18, 08:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I guess I could, but I don't think it warrants a separate thread as it is not that much different from what I can gather it is in most of US. It certainly is not anywhere near the level as in some other European countries like Denmark or Netherlands.
In short - there is no bicycle infrastructure on country roads; a few of the bigger roads have paved shoulders. The only large city - capital Rīga - has some bike paths/lanes and MUPs, but they mostly aren't interconnected or well designed. Some of the smaller to mid-size towns, on the other hand, are doing pretty well in building adequate bike infrastructure. Cycling is on the whole seems to be on a rapid rise lately, both commuting and amateur sports. In regards of attitude from vehicle drivers, it is mostly allright, but there's always a small percentage of jerks - again, same as everywhere. It's legal to ride on sidewalks; while the traffic laws state that cyclists should use the carriageway, they are allowed to ride on sidewalk if the traffic, weather etc. make it dangerous or impossible to ride on the carriageway. Since this is free to interpretation, many, especially less experienced riders ride on sidewalks at all times. Most of the time, one can hardly blame them.

Thanks! I have questions, but I'd totally be hijacking this thread.
Old 11-05-18, 08:34 AM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
In Istanbul:

​​​​- Drivers of taxis, minibuses, dolmuş', school vans(in turkey vans that carry 21 passengers as school bus, not bus type vehicles), some cheap cars and construction vehicles think about traffic is a video game, their steering wheel, pedals and shifts are gamepad and bicycles are enemies that give points if they killed by player.

- If you ride between cars that trapped in traffic jam, some takeaway scooters can abuse you.
​​
Old 11-05-18, 12:00 PM
slowrevs

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wacko Drivers

Originally Posted by SweetRower
i have had the most close calls w white pickup trucks
White pick up trucks with drunk drivers, SUVs with dark tinted windows, Chevy Malibus with tipsy drivers by the driving range.
Old 11-05-18, 12:23 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Where I ride, the worst are BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes and Audis. Pickup trucks and most other vehicles tend to be polite passers, often waiting until it's *definitely* safe, then passing with wide margins. The three aforementioned luxury cars often pass when it's totally unsafe, and pass way too close no matter what.

I had a funny experience where a BMW passed me just as we were dropping down into a the series of very steep tight hairpins on the road that leads to my driveway. He had to pass, oh yes he did too close and unsafe...and then I guess he got hisself scared of those big turns. I ended up tailgating *him* through the turns, and he didn't lose me until I was slowing down to pull into my driveway.
Old 11-05-18, 02:36 PM
Bill Abbey

Bikes: CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT,, Bike Friday, Specialized Vado

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Light colored Buicks. On my first ride across North America I had three chamois darkening moments and two I'm going to f*****g die incidents, each precipitated by light colored Buicks. One, a sedan driven by a middle aged guy in a polo shirt engaged in passing 10+ cars and tractor trailers, on-coming traffic, well in excess of normal passing speed, moved onto the shoulder I was riding (36" of cracked asphalt bordered in the fallowing order: then broken basalt gravel, then pea gravel down to the guard rail/drop off). I was really rolling with panniers and a Bob trailer going down an extended grade. I took the only way out, sliding into the pea gravel. Not hurt, but one of the 18 wheelers stopped and visually checked on me. As I stood he clearly asked if I was OK. I waved and he then proceeded on. Five minutes it took to get my rig and me back up to the road. Two, A lady in a light colored Buick exited one parking lot on the north side of the 4 lane divided boulevard, crossed three as she made her left turn, changed lanes into my lane (far right)then immediately braked and turned right into her hair salon parking lot. My immediate swerve on to the shoulder gave me just enough time to perform the emergency swerve/turn. My speed was 25 to 30. She clearly saw me as she did her maneuver. She did not respond at all when I spoke to her as she entered the salon, just gave me a "so what" look. Then there are the close pass with the dog FeeFee in drivers lap barking. kind of things. Always seems to be a Buick. Now when I see one, I prepare myself and any riders around me. My regular touring buddies (and yes this includes my wife) used to shrug at my antics, but not any more. They now nod and warn the others, "Watch the Buick, Watch the Buick!" and it has saved my/our ass on more than a few occasions.
Old 11-06-18, 06:26 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
Buses, but especially School buses. I've had the worst luck with them, maybe they're just overworked...I don't know, but they spook me more than any other vehicle.

BTW, I drive a white Ford Ranger Pickup However, it's probably the only one with the Share the Road specialty plates
Old 11-06-18, 07:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've found all vehicle types to drive equally poorly, but when it comes to intentional stuff...........the redneck truck "persecuted white male syndrome" seems to take the cake.
Old 11-07-18, 12:34 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the most noticeable are MERCEDES owners , i cant even put into words how bad their driving ability is !!!
Old 11-08-18, 10:25 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
There were a few years in the late 1990's and into the oughts where I simply noticed that about half of all egregious driving (not specific to rage/hostility) was coming from drivers of Ford Explorers.
There were a lot of those cars on the roads around silicon valley, but the incidents went well beyond these car's vehicle-demographic percentage.

The worst incident occurred while I was descending Kings Mtn. Road at speed, where one such driver made an unsafe pass entering a sharp corner and almost took out a fire truck that was heading uphill with siren blaring!
And the big SUV's and pickups with groups of young men have on occasion thrown half-full beer cans my way. My best such encounter had me feigning that I didn't notice that the can had bounced off my shoulder, and after the truck had passed the passenger hung out of the window looking back to check on my reaction, only to have his white Oakley glasses fly off into the wind. These chumps then didn't have what it takes to stop and retrieve the glasses, which reinforced what I already knew.

As far as the "demographics" of the drivers, one doesn't have to look hard to realize where the animosity comes from, with the media constantly trying to create, identify and blame demographic groups for every ailment of society. And then they as often play favorites on such issues, no doubt sub-consciously infuriating those who are being blamed.
So for example I've heard drivers yelling comments that seem to correlate to political parties or cities that are somehow being associated with cyclists. I can easily imagine that the driver has perhaps been listening to their radio station too much after drinking strong coffee and heading out for their daily drive. Even if the driver were listening to NPR (who is particularly good at committing the above-mentioned offense), the result might be the same as with the driver who is getting revved up listening to Limbaugh or any other of the presumption-blaring radio jocks.

Last edited by dddd; 11-08-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 11:17 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
No particular make/model in this area, although Dodge Chargers seem to like to show off excessively. Johnson County drivers, KU fans and buses (city, school) are the ones you have to watch out for. I've had the most close calls with those identifiers.
Old 11-08-18, 01:24 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
No problems with any one type of vehicle. Been buzzed by gas tankers to econo boxes. The few times I've been purposefully harassed was almost always by young guys in beat up import sedan.
Old 11-11-18, 07:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by dwolsten
It did, but I'm not sure why. There was some really good info on there, and I didn't see anyone being rude or bashing other forum members, only the drivers of some vehicles, which I feel is fair game. There was a lot of truth there: the "country boys" who drive big (esp. diesel) pickup trucks really are guilty of this more than, for instance, your average Camry driver. I don't think I have to worry about a 70-year-old grandmother intentionally running me off the road the way a 30-year-old white male in a pickup might. (And I *am* a white male BTW; I recognize my own ethnic/gender group is most guilty of this, and many other horrible things, just like young men are much more likely to cause auto accidents than young women, a fact which insurance companies legally use to give much higher rates to those young men.)
That was a different thread and the OP got banned, although they weren't listed in Banned Users at least a week or so afterward, last I checked.

Now Windy banned himself from Foo, self-imposed and not official.

But yes, why did this thread get cloned like Barbra Streisand's dogs?
Old 11-11-18, 07:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Okay. please give Foo back to the Foo-ish.
Old 11-11-18, 07:49 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
I've found pickup trucks to be the most "intentionally intolerant" of cyclists.
Not just cyclists. I find Dodge Ram owners to be the worst. The truck name should not actually advocate the driving style...

and then there are the ubiquitous white vans with a dozen ladders on top.
Old 11-12-18, 08:05 AM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Mostly blue cars that are leased.
Old 11-12-18, 09:11 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapido
It's my creative idea that when a bicycle peddler is wearing the costume "kit": (a sport jersey, & bike shorts), some of the motor vehicle operators assume that those bikers with kits are only using the space on the public right of ways for their recreational experiences. So maybe some drivers feel the roads are not made for recreation use like even roller skating, jogging, or skateboarding. Those drivers think: ‘get the hell out of my way '! Hummm, when a biker is wearing very regular clothing they may be there just to travel for commuting or normal utility. purposes, not just there to be doing the recreation events on the public road's spaces. They get more respect from more motor drivers. Is this true?
That's always been my view, having ridden/commuted extensively in Ireland and England, where cycle commuting is much more prevalent that in the US. Bikes here are considered by many to be "toys" - something that kids play on, but discard once they "grow up" and get a car. By that logic, anyone on a bike is a dilettante and unworthy of respect. Across the pond, however, that guy on the bike is as likely to be a working stiff, and you don't screw with him. That being said, it's not all roses in Ireland/UK. Many's the time, while commuting into Dublin in rush hour, I had to pound on the fender of a car that was edging me into the curb (I could do that, because no-one was going to shoot me), but once the driver realized what he/she was doing, they generally backed off. Drivers may dislike cyclists there (as drivers do everywhere, I guess), but none ever yelled "Get off the road!" at me - a regular occurrence here in the US. I don't recall a single time in Ireland/UK when a driver edged up beside me and leaned on the horn a few feet from my ear, just the f**k with me. Drivers in Ireland/UK may not like sharing the road with bikes, but there's no question of cyclists' right to be there.