Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

126mm wheel on a 135mm rear aluminium frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 11:54 PM
ASMike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the moment, I've been trying to move all my bike parts onto a second hand Cannondale T700 frame, as my old one broke in half from an accident. Pretty much all my parts on the old bike can be used, beside the Caliper brakes (the frame uses Cantilever/V brake). The only problem I'm encountering at the moment is my rear wheel. It's 126mm while the frame is 135mm.

I've been searching around the internet with regards to respacing frames, and the general consensus is to not respace/cold set aluminium frames. But a lot of the examples I've seen is with regards to widening the frame. So I was wondering if the same is true for clamping down a frame, or would the quick release be able hold onto the clamp and not burst open in the middle of a ride.

If that's a no go, is there a way to extend the axle from 126 to a 135?
Old 06-23-19, 12:09 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Just get a longer axle.
Add 9mm spacing on the NDS.
Redish the wheel by slowly & evenly tightening the NDS spokes.
You now have a stronger, more symmetric wheel.
Old 06-23-19, 12:58 AM
ASMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, didn't realise I can take the axle out. Is there anything I should look out for in an axle, like depending on the wheel, or are they somewhat standardised?
Old 06-23-19, 01:13 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

If it's a Quick Release axle, you'll want a 146mm replacement. Nutted you need "long enough".
QR axles are typically 11mm longer than DO spacing.
Old 06-23-19, 07:26 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If you didn't know you can take an axle out, I assume you've never rebuilt a hub. Removing an axle involves removing all the bearing parts and reassembling carefully in a fairly exact procedure. Fine adjustment is very important. You would need a couple of inexpensive special cone wrenches.

And wheel dishing and truing similarly requires careful and exact work, and some knowledge of spoke tension limits. And more special tools--a truing stand and dishing tool would make it much easier. But those are expensive.

If there's a bike coop in your area, there's staff there to help out and access to the tools.
Old 06-24-19, 09:29 PM
ASMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I went to my local bike co-op/recycling place to see if they can help, they said it might ruin the hub and just swapped the back wheel for another one that fits *shrug*. Ah well then.

Thanks for the help anyway
Old 06-24-19, 11:14 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by ASMike
Yeah I went to my local bike co-op/recycling place to see if they can help, they said it might ruin the hub and just swapped the back wheel for another one that fits *shrug*. Ah well then.

Thanks for the help anyway
That's absurd.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 06-25-19, 12:00 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
That's absurd.

I volunteer at a high-volume, big city bike Co-op. In the best case scenario, modifying a 126mm OLD wheel to 135mm will take about 30 minutes of dedicated attention from someone who has done the operation several times. This is assuming a plain-vanilla Shimano hub, and no unexpected difficulties, such as the hub nuts corroded tight onto the old axle, or the cones needing replacement. Or what used to be ball bearings have turned into iron oxide filings. Or we find that the freehub is locked-up and needs a replacement.

Since this will require re-dishing the wheel, this best case also assumes no missing spokes, spoke nipples not corroded tight onto the spokes, a rim with no flat spots, etc.

I sympathize with the assessment of the Co-op in question. They are probably overrun this time of year; we are.

Working as a mechanic at our Co-op, although immensely rewarding, is more challenging than working at a regular shop, as we cannot just take a bike from a client, give them a ticket, and ask them to come back in 2 weeks with a Gold Card. We have to diagnose and solve complex challenges on bikes with mostly low-end, obsolete components. This has to be done quickly, in real time, with the client right next to us. We draw upon an inventory of donated parts, of which at least half are damaged/unrepairable, sometimes subtly so. So we have to become experts on all the things that can go wrong with bikes and components, and then try and anticipate what is seriously wrong with a donated derailleur or brakeset.

Finally, all of this has to be done at almost no cost, and to high safety standards. To many of our clients, $5 is a Big Deal.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 06-25-19, 12:10 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I volunteer at a high-volume, big city bike Co-op. In the best case scenario, modifying a 126mm OLD wheel to 135mm will take about 30 minutes of dedicated attention from someone who has done the operation several times. This is assuming a plain-vanilla Shimano hub, and no unexpected difficulties, such as the hub nuts corroded tight onto the old axle, or the cones needing replacement. Or what used to be ball bearings have turned into iron oxide filings. Or we find that the freehub is locked-up and needs a replacement.

Since this will require re-dishing the wheel, this best case also assumes no missing spokes, spoke nipples not corroded tight onto the spokes, a rim with no flat spots, etc.

I sympathize with the assessment of the Co-op in question. They are probably overrun this time of year; we are.

Working as a mechanic at our Co-op, although immensely rewarding, is more challenging than working at a regular shop, as we cannot just take a bike from a client, give them a ticket, and ask them to come back in 2 weeks with a Gold Card. We have to diagnose and solve complex challenges on bikes with mostly low-end, obsolete components. This has to be done quickly, in real time, with the client right next to us. We draw upon an inventory of donated parts, of which at least half are damaged/unrepairable, sometimes subtly so. So we have to become experts on all the things that can go wrong with bikes and components, and then try and anticipate what is seriously wrong with a donated derailleur or brakeset.

Finally, all of this has to be done at almost no cost, and to high safety standards. To many of our clients, $5 is a Big Deal.
I understand WHY they don't want to undertake the task. A lot of time with little "obvious" reward. Just redishing the wheel can be problematic if the nipples are corroded tight.

However, The OP should get an ACCURATE explanation instead of an INCORRECT excuse.
They may have taken in a Free Hub wheel and left with a Free Wheel hub. Definitely a down grade.
Old 06-25-19, 12:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Adding 8-9mm to the left side of a 126mm hub would give one a really strong wheel in the end, but if I had a 135mm bike in my hands, I'd take that as a pretty clear sign to upgrade to 8-10 speed. Building out a 130mm hub to 135mm yields a pretty strong wheel, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498