Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is this Surly Ogre custom built worth?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What is this Surly Ogre custom built worth?

Old 08-24-19, 02:44 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I have sort of skimmed through this thread, and unless I missed it, it isn't obvious that the OP is going to be able to offer warranty support. No matter how good any bike is, when anyone buys a new bike and subsequently has a problem, they are going to need help from the builder. Warranty support is built into the price of any new bike which is why second hand bikes no matter how little they have been used sell at a significant discount. I have built bikes myself, but only because I acquired components at prices below distributor prices to retailers. Unless this bike came with an ironclad warranty, I wouldn't buy it
+1
Also there are implied warranties (by law) that are mostly covered by liability insurance -- correctly mentioned up thread. We like to ignore the fact that implied warranties have a substantial cost which is built into the prices we pay. A self-glorified expert builder does not appear to have those protections in place thus the steep discount compared to commercial entities.

One can be a dilettante bike assembler, usually without profound consequences. The world treats dilettante business people rather more harshly.
Old 08-24-19, 03:18 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I disagree with these points. For a touring/bikepacking/go-anywhere bike, a 3x drivetrain and 180mm rotors are useful.
10 speed is dead (and this was also in relation to selling the bike, selling old tech will be hard), I never said 3x was, and you can get 3x11

for 180mm rotors, what is the frame spec'd for (again I mentioned check the spec) as a lot of frames can't take/the manufactures don't recommend over 160mm, with decent brakes, pads and rotors, 180mm is an overkill for most applications away from MTB, having had a 180mm on my Vaya, I dropped back to 160mm, and it works just as well. (also, just Google image the bike, try finding more than one or two with anything other than 160mm rotors, it's hard)
Old 08-24-19, 03:32 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
10 speed is dead
Not in the touring world.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-24-19, 10:16 PM
jimc101

Originally Posted by tyrion
Not in the touring world.
You have totally missed the point of what I said, and in what context, this is in relation to flipping the bike (maybe you didn't bother to read the OP's first post), 10 speed is dead if the case of spec'ing on a new bike with the intention of selling for a profit/flipping, yes you can still buy 10 speed, and it still works, just like 8 and 9 speed, of a freewheel, or single speed, fixed or IGH, but in this specific case when the intention is to resell (guess you didn't read the OP's first post, did I say that again?) a prospective buyer would want the latest spec, and even then 11 speed is pretty old now, and there are 1x options, and we were look at selling the bike here (did I say that again?) not using it.
Old 08-24-19, 11:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You have totally missed the point of what I said, and in what context, this is in relation to flipping the bike (maybe you didn't bother to read the OP's first post), 10 speed is dead if the case of spec'ing on a new bike with the intention of selling for a profit/flipping, yes you can still buy 10 speed, and it still works, just like 8 and 9 speed, of a freewheel, or single speed, fixed or IGH, but in this specific case when the intention is to resell (guess you didn't read the OP's first post, did I say that again?) a prospective buyer would want the latest spec, and even then 11 speed is pretty old now, and there are 1x options, and we were look at selling the bike here (did I say that again?) not using it.
No, I disagree. A 3x10 drivetrain is fine for this kind of bike, and the big 180mm rotors are fine.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-25-19, 03:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
The stock Ogre is sold with a 10-speed cassette. It's a 1X setup, but many touring cyclists know and trust triple cranksets. Also, many would prefer (or, at the least, not reject) 180 rotors on a bike designed for carrying heavy loads.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-25-19, 09:28 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
10 speed is dead (and this was also in relation to selling the bike, selling old tech will be hard), I never said 3x was, and you can get 3x11

for 180mm rotors, what is the frame spec'd for (again I mentioned check the spec) as a lot of frames can't take/the manufactures don't recommend over 160mm, with decent brakes, pads and rotors, 180mm is an overkill for most applications away from MTB, having had a 180mm on my Vaya, I dropped back to 160mm, and it works just as well. (also, just Google image the bike, try finding more than one or two with anything other than 160mm rotors, it's hard)
10 speed is only dead in your eyes. In the touring world, it isn't dead, and many, myself included, use 9 speed. The 9 speed makes it nicer to friction shift if necessary, since many bar ends allow that as an option. I liked it so much when my Microshift failed, that I installed friction only bar ends.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-25-19, 11:16 AM
jimc101

Originally Posted by phughes
10 speed is only dead in your eyes. In the touring world, it isn't dead, and many, myself included, use 9 speed. The 9 speed makes it nicer to friction shift if necessary, since many bar ends allow that as an option. I liked it so much when my Microshift failed, that I installed friction only bar ends.
Context, this thread has nothing to do with touring, all to do with possibility of building to sell, what people use in to tour with is irrelvant, all that matters in this context is what will sell, and for that purpose 10 speed is dead, or at least not a wise way to sepc for best return.
Old 08-26-19, 06:48 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The OP could end this discussion once and for all by actually building the bike he proposed and see if it sells and for how much. That would be the real test of the concept. Do it and let us know what happens.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-26-19, 11:44 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
To the OP: In your original post, you said "I would ask that folks that truly are not in the know, don't take wild stabs at it". As the previous post put it, all of us are "taking stabs at it".

That said, the wisdom of the crowds seems to be that you will lose a significant amount of your spent capital if you buy that stuff and build the bike and try to "flip it". The folks looking through CL aren't there because they want to pay full retail for custom-made bike: they're there for a bargain price. Same with eBay. So I think you'll have an issue. But I'm "taking a stab at it". To really know, you'll have to take a stab.

Pretty clear that you really, really want to do this. If you go in with clear eyes and a range of reasonable expectation, and can afford any scenario, you'll be the only one that knows what value the market puts on such a bike.
Old 08-26-19, 01:13 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Alligator Bike Bicycle Brake Derailleur Shifter Cable End Caps tips Black 25pcs = $3

Locktite = $6
You really should mark those up.

Just list your bike on CL for $4,000 then you'll know. You want to know, right?
Old 08-26-19, 01:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Though OP is no longer able to contribute, I expect he will continue to follow this thread and appreciate the advice. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that someday, somewhere, somehow he will acquire a bike. Hopefully it will be a positive experience, perhaps turn things around for him. Bon voyage
Old 08-26-19, 01:39 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Though OP is no longer able to contribute, I expect he will continue to follow this thread and appreciate the advice. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that someday, somewhere, somehow he will acquire a bike. Hopefully it will be a positive experience, perhaps turn things around for him. Bon voyage
Too funny.
In any case it was weird situation. He supposedly built the bike in preparation for a never ending tour he was keen to depart on but then wanted to flip the bike because he thought 27.5 would be better than 29r. Even tbough he never rode it. No tour experience, just built off a blogger list from the net. Hard to build buyer confidence that way
Old 08-26-19, 02:05 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Too funny.
In any case it was weird situation. He supposedly built the bike in preparation for a never ending tour he was keen to depart on but then wanted to flip the bike because he thought 27.5 would be better than 29r. Even tbough he never rode it. No tour experience, just built off a blogger list from the net. Hard to build buyer confidence that way
Did he really buy/build/ride/do anything? Really seems like just a lot of mental ************, in public.
Old 08-26-19, 03:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I don't think so
Old 08-26-19, 03:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
...what's this thread about ?
Old 08-26-19, 04:53 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...what's this thread about ?
With any luck, it's about to end.
Old 08-27-19, 08:02 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
From the OP's description of his own skills, and how he thinks the LBS staff come out of the back to fawn at his feet and tell him that he's smarter than all of them, he sounds like a delusional blowhard know-it-all. My opinion is backed up by his belief that him selecting and buying parts at retail will earn him a profit based on his immense skill at choosing commercially available parts. I can only guess that this attitude is related to why he got banned. Good riddance.
Old 08-27-19, 08:07 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I can only guess that this attitude is related to why he got banned. Good riddance.
He was banned? Why? Nothing in his posts leaps out at me as being particularly bothersome.
Old 08-27-19, 08:17 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
He was banned? Why? Nothing in his posts leaps out at me as being particularly bothersome.
It is my understanding that if you post something abusive or otherwise offensive to the community, mods will remove the post or the offensive aspects of it. To be 'banned' suggests it was not the OP's first time being warned and having things removed. I have posted less-than-polite stuff in the past and always got sent a written warning and told the offending material had been removed, and I learned my lesson. You would have to ignore the warning and keep posting improper stuff, or write something to personally and deliberately offend a mod to get banned. The way OP thinks so highly of himself, I would guess he possibly was warned that something was inappropriate and attacked a mod because he knows better than all them, too.
Old 08-27-19, 08:23 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
It is my understanding that if you post something abusive or otherwise offensive to the community, mods will remove the post or the offensive aspects of it.
Yeah, that makes sense too. Very likely I missed seeing whatever it was that happened. Probably is just as well.
Old 08-27-19, 08:47 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Oh.. you just had to be in the touring forum over the last month or so. Lots of drama.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-27-19, 09:02 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Oh.. you just had to be in the touring forum over the last month or so. Lots of drama.
...I drama !! "If music be the food of love, give me excess of it, that surfeiting the appetite may sicken and so die....."
Old 08-28-19, 11:35 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Context, this thread has nothing to do with touring, all to do with possibility of building to sell, what people use in to tour with is irrelvant, all that matters in this context is what will sell, and for that purpose 10 speed is dead, or at least not a wise way to sepc for best return.
Yes, context matters. The Surly Ogre is listed on Surly's website under the touring section, so...
Old 08-28-19, 12:01 PM
jimc101

Originally Posted by phughes
Yes, context matters. The Surly Ogre is listed on Surly's website under the touring section, so...
You win, congratulations, I can't be bothered to go on with this anymore, as the OP doesn't seem to be around anymore to clarify what the purpose of the bike was for, from the original post which you seem to have completely ignored, it was all about the possibility of selling the bike, not about what the bike was intended to do, and who knows if the potential purchaser has looked at the Surly site, and knows that all you are allowed to do on the Ogre is tour, nothing else ever...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.