Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinion-Selling MTB for Hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 09:48 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2018 Diamondback 29ner Overdrive, I'm selling it for $450, although I love the aesthetics of MTB, they aren't the greatest when it comes to riding in the city, especially trying to go fast with little effort. With that $450, I'm thinking of getting a hybrid bike less than $600. Any opinions on which hybrid, I do sometimes am a bit rough with the bike. So far I'm really interested in the Giant Escape 2 Disc 2020 which is about $580 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-2-disc-2020 ) although that is stretching my budget given plus tax and building it, it will be over $600

Last edited by Alphonsus; 08-13-19 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 02:35 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Definitely test ride before selling. Make sure you like the new before getting rid of the old.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 08-13-19, 02:45 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
If you are rough, then why not crank up the pre load on the forks and whack a set of slicks on the MTB, like some Big Apples or some such and then you have a fast rolling bike that can take some punishment jumping curbs.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 08-13-19, 05:41 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
Any opinions on which hybrid, I do sometimes am a bit rough with the bike.
You could look at the Kona Dew: https://www.konaworld.com/dew.cfm. The wider tires on that bike will absorb some roughness. Also worth a look is the Raleigh Redux.
Old 08-13-19, 06:52 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Trek hybrid. I love it. I ride it in the city and on gravel roads. The 32mm tires are skinny enough to feel fast but wide enough to provide a little cushion.
Old 08-13-19, 06:54 AM
stanman13
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
From what I can tell, your Diamondback is a $1200-1300 bike. Your going to take a beating on that to trade it for a $500-600 hybrid. I think you will be less satisfied with the cheaper hybrid than if you just adapted your mtb to be more street friendly. Swap out tires and tighten up the suspension fork and it'll feel and be faster for you. You can customize a lot for the amount you're going to lose on the trade.

Then again, if you really aren't happy with it and want a new bike, who am I to tell you no?
Likes For stanman13:
Old 08-13-19, 07:41 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I concur with the above posts recommending you just install some road friendly tires. I used to run mtn bikes as a regular urban commuter, for years, and currently have my old Trek set up that way.
Some type of lightly-treaded, semi-slick, with about a 1.75" width will make that bike cruise the streets much more nimbly and smoothly, while still being able to absorb impacts and handle a little off-road use, and keeping that mountain bike look (too skinny tires on a mtn bike, just look wrong, plus there's a limit to how thin you can go on a mtn rim.)
And, I'm thinking you're taking a beating selling the higher end bike, then spending more cash, downgrading to another. This kinda had "lose/lose" written all over it.
Old 08-13-19, 07:43 AM
Alphonsus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stanman13
From what I can tell, your Diamondback is a $1200-1300 bike. Your going to take a beating on that to trade it for a $500-600 hybrid. I think you will be less satisfied with the cheaper hybrid than if you just adapted your mtb to be more street friendly. Swap out tires and tighten up the suspension fork and it'll feel and be faster for you. You can customize a lot for the amount you're going to lose on the trade.

Then again, if you really aren't happy with it and want a new bike, who am I to tell you no?
Nvm, it wasnt the expert than, the listed price was $500 and I got it for $400
Old 08-13-19, 07:49 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Nvm, it wasnt the expert than, the listed price was $500 and I got it for $400
If it was a $500 bike when new, nobody is going to pay $450 for it used
29" wheels are the same size as 700c which most hybrids use. A nice set of 700 x 40 road tires would change the character of your bike completely.
Old 08-13-19, 08:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am not sure how nice of a mountain bike your Diamondback Overdrive is, so it is hard to say how a $600 hybrid (or any bike) is going to stack up against it for your use.

However, generally speaking, for urban riding, I would much prefer a bike like the Escape over the Overdrive.

Older hardtail and rigid mtbs do make great urban bikes, But I think the geometry of newer mountain bikes makes them less fun and nimble on the road. They work fine if it is what you have, and slicks do help, but something like the Escape is better, given the choice (IMO).

Edit: OK, I see that your current bike was only $500 to start with. Not sure how I missed that before. I think I have an idea of what it is probably like. I would definitely prefer the Escape.
Old 08-13-19, 08:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The Trek FX 2 disk is right around that price--if you're looking for a fast city bike.

My son has the Raleigh Redux, which I agree with Jonathan is worth a look at as a city bike. They made the unfortunate marketing choice of calling it a comfort bike, but it's actually quite spright for its size.
Old 08-14-19, 12:57 PM
Alphonsus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If it was a $500 bike when new, nobody is going to pay $450 for it used
29" wheels are the same size as 700c which most hybrids use. A nice set of 700 x 40 road tires would change the character of your bike completely.
I'm not "selling" it for $450, but rather, the kid is gonna buy it for $450
Old 08-14-19, 12:59 PM
Alphonsus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am not sure how nice of a mountain bike your Diamondback Overdrive is, so it is hard to say how a $600 hybrid (or any bike) is going to stack up against it for your use.

However, generally speaking, for urban riding, I would much prefer a bike like the Escape over the Overdrive.

Older hardtail and rigid mtbs do make great urban bikes, But I think the geometry of newer mountain bikes makes them less fun and nimble on the road. They work fine if it is what you have, and slicks do help, but something like the Escape is better, given the choice (IMO).

Edit: OK, I see that your current bike was only $500 to start with. Not sure how I missed that before. I think I have an idea of what it is probably like. I would definitely prefer the Escape.
Yeah, its a nice bike and it does fine for riding in my neighborhood, but definetly if going 10+ miles around the city especially if I want to go inner city, it'd be harder than a regular hybrid
Old 08-14-19, 01:01 PM
Alphonsus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The Trek FX 2 disk is right around that price--if you're looking for a fast city bike.

My son has the Raleigh Redux, which I agree with Jonathan is worth a look at as a city bike. They made the unfortunate marketing choice of calling it a comfort bike, but it's actually quite spright for its size.
Yep came across the Trek FX2 and it's definitely looks like a good bike, I'll have a couple of months to decide, since I only ride in the summer, going away for college and don't need a bike during that time period, and don't want to buy the bike now and have it sit in the shed for 8 months
Old 08-14-19, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Yep came across the Trek FX2 and it's definitely looks like a good bike, I'll have a couple of months to decide, since I only ride in the summer, going away for college and don't need a bike during that time period, and don't want to buy the bike now and have it sit in the shed for 8 months
The FXs have a very high fun factor, you can get them going very fast.

No bike for campus?
Old 08-25-19, 05:57 PM
BikeTall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I think the Giant Escape 2 is an awesome choice. It can definitely take a beating! I have been riding one as a daily commuter here in NYC since 2013... and it’s still going strong! I also use it for longer tours as well. It is fast & comfy.
My Giant Escape 2. Daily commuter & touring rig.
Old 08-26-19, 07:02 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
start here.... many hybrids to look at.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...l#post21091592