Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Pumped up on Antihistamines!

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 08-01-19, 03:53 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts

Surprised nobody's mentioned this, to my knowledge. It's been a bad year for hayfever; my worst to date, and I hope, my last. But no respite yet. A variety of tablets.

Loratadine is the first; my go to, but it's really insufficient at the recommended dosage. I've taken 3 a day instead of one; Consensus. he states no harm will befall me. He doesn't know my age. I shouldn't be taking any.
Cetirizine is good for itching (hives) and I've had that, too. Takes ages for those little b*****s to heal, but vivid dreams can be a very pleasant (or otherwise) side effect!
Benadryl Plus cures anything, and is my most effective tablet. I sleep well off them, and I can drink, too. Well, I can with the others really, you know how it can be. Sometimes you just need one.
Piriton makes one sleepy, but it was the doctors suggestion. Not his finest, methinks.
Nasal sprays contain Benzalconium Chloride. I believe this caused my present problems; it's found in eye drops too.
Heh ho! And here's me fondly thinking how good it was to be old . . .But I can still ride the bike! And maybe, just maybe . . . .those little ole anti histamines enable me to go faster!. . . .
Old 08-01-19, 09:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
Sudaephedrine generic but I have to sign for it because some people use it to make meth. But it will clear up my sinuses and makes clear breathing. Use correctly and you don’t feel all hyped up.
Old 08-03-19, 08:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Avoid first generation antihistamines like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) except for emergencies such as wasp stings for folks with allergies. Diphenhydramine and other early antihistamines in the anticholinergic family are associated with increased longterm risk of dementia and hallucinations.

In particular avoid Nyquil and similar all-in-one remedies. Those often contain two, three or more anticholinergics. Younger folks can usually get away with taking those but there's an increased risk for older folks. I've seen it in my family as a caregiver for my grandparents and mom.

I take only the original or reputable generic versions of Zyrtec, Allegra or Claritin. I'll switch around every few weeks if one doesn't seem to work as well. And I use nasal anti-inflammatories, asthma inhalers and pseudoephedrine for congestion. I'm allergic to all of Texas.
Old 08-14-19, 09:30 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I've been getting allergy shots for a couple of years now. I had been having more severe reactions every year, the worst in late spring/early fall as I ramped up my cycling activity. Symptoms included congestion, headache, nausea and dizziness. I fell over from dizziness on more than one occasion and vomited a few times as well. I missed a few days work every spring/summer from it. The last straw was when I got so sick (cough, sore throat, congestion) that I had to cut a camping vacation short and upon returning home, still needed to call in sick for a few days. I kept feeling worse and worse until the doctor tried antibiotics and that did the trick. I figure it had developed into a sinus infection. After that I decided enough was enough and that regular "treat the symptoms," drugs weren't cutting it. I got the pin cushion test and started the injections and the following year my symptoms were less severe. This year has been even a bit better. I still take allergy meds when needed but I haven't had the really bad attack in spring/summer and my symptoms are much more manageable. I recommend looking into it if you can't find relief with anti-histamines, pills and such.
Old 08-26-19, 04:22 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
I've been getting allergy shots for a couple of years now. I had been having more severe reactions every year, the worst in late spring/early fall as I ramped up my cycling activity. Symptoms included congestion, headache, nausea and dizziness. I fell over from dizziness on more than one occasion and vomited a few times as well. I missed a few days work every spring/summer from it. The last straw was when I got so sick (cough, sore throat, congestion) that I had to cut a camping vacation short and upon returning home, still needed to call in sick for a few days. I kept feeling worse and worse until the doctor tried antibiotics and that did the trick. I figure it had developed into a sinus infection. After that I decided enough was enough and that regular "treat the symptoms," drugs weren't cutting it. I got the pin cushion test and started the injections and the following year my symptoms were less severe. This year has been even a bit better. I still take allergy meds when needed but I haven't had the really bad attack in spring/summer and my symptoms are much more manageable. I recommend looking into it if you can't find relief with anti-histamines, pills and such.
Interesting; if things don't improve soon (this has been a dreadful year) I'll have to do the same. I've cut down on wheat stuff using multigrain bread which is very tasty. I had a BCC lump removed from my neck a few years ago, and it was in similar hot, humid circumstances that these things develop. I don't want a repeat.
Unfortunately, a break to the Shetlands for July and August doesn't meet with Her Maj's approval . . . .
Old 10-26-19, 07:22 PM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Nasal spray works for me. The trick is to spray in advance...when you're feeling fine - spray. It's too late when you're suffering hay fever and when the nasal passages are wet. And only use it sparingly.....spray once every few days.
Old 11-01-19, 05:20 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but about a year and a half ago I started drinking Yerba Mate tea instead of coffee to help avoid acid reflux. I was purely interested in the caffeine and ignored all the other claims.

Turns out for many people Yerba Mate has antihistamine properties and works as an anti-inflammatory.

And I'm one of them. I noticed my seasonal allergies were almost nil. I knewsomething was up when I rode past a quarter-mile long mowing operation and my sinuses didn't sieze as usual.

Then I noticed I was not waking up with a stiff back and stiff knees.

The caffeine comes on a little slower than with coffee, but seems to last longer than with coffee. During my 42 years of coffee drinking, if I didn't get my caffeine fix on time I got a crushing head-ache, especially in the morning. With the Yerba Mate, I am able to go three hours past my caffeine times without a headache, although I do feel slightly fatigued.

As usual, your experience may vary...but this has been mine.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-06-20, 11:45 AM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Nasalcrom

Nasalcrom works as a preventative. First take a hot shower and scrub face, neck and eyesockets well with a washcloth. Try to remove all allergens and dry with a fresh mildew few towel. Use nasalcrom right away when you are done. I remain symptom free all day when I do this. Nasalcrom does not do much if you are already sniffling.