Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

who is psyched for Autumn riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

who is psyched for Autumn riding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 07:13 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
C'mon Autumn! I'll enjoy the cooler weather and lower humidity. Summer is not my favorite season for riding-give me spring or fall any day.
Old 08-31-19, 07:40 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
The Florida equivalent of Autumn is the winter, when even in north central FL lows are upper 40s to mid upper 50s (usually the latter) and highs, if you are lucky, low 70s into the 80s. Basically 2 months of somewhat decent weather out of the whole year, which is when my mileage goes up.
This time of year is way too humid and rainy going into late October. Don’t forget tropical storms and hurricanes. The people who love Floriduh will tell you about their glorious paradise for the majority of their year. But unless you enjoy high temps with stifling humidity, and rain at the times you are off work and would go outside, which somehow makes it feel even worse, and more mosquitoes than you ever thought possible, this place is a hell hole for cyclists and runners.
Old 08-31-19, 03:21 PM
BririaBoarder

Bikes: Biria Easy Boarding 7 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As a sweat-o-phobe, I'm looking forward to riding in sunny, 61° weather.
Old 08-31-19, 03:50 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I' m looking forward to the Tucson summer ending, and being able to get out of the gym and onto my bike after work.
Old 08-31-19, 06:06 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
I am excited to bike to class without being sweaty, so yes! looking forward to it
Old 08-31-19, 08:21 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Fall temps are nearly ideal here, but the days are too short for after work rides.
Yeah, that's what I don't like. It gets dark real fast and doesn't give you a lot of day light riding time. Once the sun goes down the roads become exponentially more dangerous. Partly because you can't be seen, but also because you can''t see hazards (potholes, debris, etc.) on the road until you're on top of them. You have to brace for impact and hope for the best. Generally, I stick to roads I know which helps lessen that particular danger.
Old 08-31-19, 08:26 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
Yes!!! Looking forward to Autumn - but not Winter.

I live somewhat out in the country and have roads with little trafiic available to me, so I don't mind riding some in the dark, if necessary. I'm very visible for the few cars I will encounter - a bright headlight and at least two tail lights.
Old 09-01-19, 01:55 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Need to sort my lights out, could do with a couple of new tyres, need a new coat, and some clear glasses as mine are bronze tinted.
Old 09-01-19, 03:25 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I, too, will look forward to cooler, autumn rides. Fortunately, I work at home, so I can sneak out during the day to solve the 'shorter day' problem. Although, I must say, my last couple of long weekend rides have been just about perfect for my tastes. Temp started in upper fifties to low 60s and peaked out upper 70s by end of ride with fairly low humidity.

I've done a group/charity ride in MA a few times in October which is quite beautiful with the rural roads and changing colors. But, the temperature range can be pretty significant. I've had one where it was barely above freezing when I started but sunny and in the 70s by the end. But, yes, on balance, I prefer the cooler weather ... I did a century ride several years back where the temp by the end was in the mid-90s and high humidity. This New Englander doesn't want to feel the way I felt that last 20 miles ever again!.
Old 09-01-19, 04:42 AM
Gorrister

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I love the summer, but long rides are tough on those humid 90 degree days in jersey. And I tend to overheat, so I’m excited to ride in the fall. The only thing I hate about the fall: winter is right around the corner 😑
Old 09-01-19, 05:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Al_in_NH
Great time to ride trails here in NH, not so great to ride the roads. We draw a lot of "leaf peepers" and they are looking at the trees, not the road a lot of the time, but it's a nice time of year to be on the bike.
There's some trails in NH that I avoid in the fall because riding around deer hunters makes me nervous. Definitely do not wear white that time of year. I'm in the southern end of the state, so peepers are just driving through where I am, so road riding is fine.
Old 09-01-19, 05:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Yeah, that's what I don't like. It gets dark real fast and doesn't give you a lot of day light riding time. Once the sun goes down the roads become exponentially more dangerous. Partly because you can't be seen, but also because you can''t see hazards (potholes, debris, etc.) on the road until you're on top of them. You have to brace for impact and hope for the best. Generally, I stick to roads I know which helps lessen that particular danger.
It definitely curtails most of my after work riding, but weekends are really nice. Riding in the cooler weather is pretty great.
Old 09-01-19, 06:57 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Autumn? We still have 3 more weeks of summer over here.
Old 09-01-19, 07:42 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Around here, I prefer riding in the fall, winter, and spring. I'm looking forward to the cooler days.
Old 09-01-19, 12:10 PM
headtubes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Autumn in CH

The alps in autumn are the most beautiful. I’ve done descents I to valleys that have literally taken my breath away!
Old 09-01-19, 03:21 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
I just put fenders back on my bike, so I am anticipating it, even if I am not really looking forward to it.
Old 09-01-19, 10:04 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Got out on a popular rail-trail today, and got the first 30 miles in before the crowds started to build towards the more populous end. Last 10 was a fair bit of dodging inattentive walkers/cyclists/dog owners/parents of small children/small children. It was also 84 degrees. But none of that made it fall-like.

What did?

The stretches where I could smell fresh-cut hay, and the stretches with the funk of fallen & fermenting apples.
Old 09-02-19, 03:41 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I side with those who said the cooler temps are nice, but shorter days aren't. Not a fan of rain too, but let's wait and see how this autumn turns out. Last year it was warm and dry till November, sadly I was forced to miss out on whole October due to injury.
Old 09-02-19, 04:45 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I'm looking forward to fall for:

Road rides that start out in the morning where I initially second guess myself about clothing choices then finding out in ten minutes I was right on the mark.

The new hues in the morning and evening skies that cooler air brings.

The fall colors of the turning leaves that make my usual routes beautiful again that I've gone blind to by repetition.

The occasional sound of tires singing on the pavement when the wind doesn't drown it out.

The headwinds that drag me down to the small chainring on flat ground followed by the tailwind going home that makes me feel, young, strong and fast again.

The solitude of a cool slightly rainy/misty weekend morning when people opt to stay inside and be comfortable leaving me to my own world.

The memories that riding in less than ideal conditions brings; remembering all the miles I rode in miserable weather because my competitors probably weren't.

The smell of burning wood from fireplaces or leaves that have been raked into a pile.

The acclimatization that occurs within my body from being out in the weather instead of hiding indoors; this makes winter more bearable.

The smell of chili when I get home to warm house and the feeling I get after warm shower and a good meal.

What I like the most is that I am retired, beholding to no job for money and I can pick the best days and times to ride.

Last edited by nomadmax; 09-02-19 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 09-02-19, 06:50 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
For me personally, from a riding perspective, fall/autumn is kind of bittersweet. Yes, it is hands down the "nicest" riding weather we get: Clear blue skies, low humidity, you can ride anytime during the day with no worries about flirting with heat stroke or developing afternoon thunderstorms (both things I have to factor in when riding in summer).
On the other hand, it means the too-cold-to-ride weather is right around the corner, and I have to leave later and later in the day to catch the temp window (I don;t really have any cold-weather gear anymore, and still hated riding in the cold, when I did).
But, right now it's the best of both worlds. We have a solid week+ in the forecast of clear blue skies and low humidity, but comfortably warm temps (well into the 90's, but that's not a concern this late in the year).
Old 09-02-19, 07:06 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
The older I get the more I despise Mid-Atlantic summers - riding in heat and humidity with sweat doing nothing other than getting me soaked. Give me weather where I have to throw on arm/knee warmers at the start of a ride.
Old 09-02-19, 09:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I have nothing useful to add to this thread but just felt like posting this...

Likes For TimothyH:
Old 09-02-19, 09:59 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have nothing useful to add to this thread but just felt like posting this...

An excellent on topic post.
Old 09-02-19, 10:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
An excellent on topic post.
Thanks.

I can't wait for autumn to come to the deep south in mid-November.

Of course it always heralds the long, dark and cold six weeks of winter. Sometimes I even have to wear a jacket!

Keeping in mind the daffodils of early February helps keep the spirits up.

Not sure how the guys way up north in Tennessee and the Carolinas deal with it.

Tim
Atlanta
Old 09-02-19, 12:42 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
How do you keep knee warmers from falling down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.