Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ever modified a crank to add a granny?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ever modified a crank to add a granny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 04:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
lol....thanks, again, terry

i'd thought of doing a set up along those lines, as well. however, my project just got as simple as it can get, i think.....

my wife found this drill press for me at a yard sale yeeeaarrsss ago. at the time, i just plugged it in, kinda dinkered with it a bit, and thought "cool...at some point i'll get to use it". well, my shop didn't (still doesn't) have power, yet, so i set it out of my way and there it has remained. since running electricity (very big task) has taken a back seat to a lot of other stuff, i've just gone to my friend's shop about a mile away for things i've need to do. his was bigger, anyway. (shut up!) i don't have that luxury anymore, though. he closed his doors last year. anyway, about an hour ago i went out to gather parts and stuff in an effort to get moving on this thing and then i discovered ...very cool....the table on my press swivels radially as well vertically and horizontally. i hadn't realized it would do that! so, you know what that means? yessss! i can just run a bolt through the taper and through hole in the middle of the table and easily line the bit right up to the marks i make on the spider without any sort jig or template or fixture otherwise. man!

now to try and find hardware
Likes For thook:
Old 08-26-19, 05:01 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I think you should use this as an excuse to get an indexed rotary table. That way after you finish drilling your new granny gear holes very precisely, you can continue on with this productive hobby by drillium-izing all your chainrings...
i'd need an italian bike first! don't give me an excuse....lol!
Old 08-26-19, 05:22 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by scarlson

The derailleur will take up any out-of-round you introduce, and it's a granny gear, it's not like you're going to spend a ton of time in it. I would just go for it. I would rest the chainring bolt flats of the crank on some blocks to make sure it's parallel with the face of the crank. Depending on your drill press table, you may be able to stick an appropriate sized bolt up through the table and put that through the square tapered hole so that you can put all the holes the same distance from the center. Using the chainring as a template is also a good idea. I'd bolt it down to the first hole you drill/tap and then each consecutive hole. Do them in a cross pattern, probably. If the surface you're entering is at an angle, it may benefit you to buy a 1/4" or 5/16" flat endmill to throw in your drill press chuck and touch to the face you're drilling to make it flat so that the drill doesn't try to move as it's entering an angled face. Plunging an endmill should not be a problem for your drill press chuck, despite what others may tell you.

Oh, and you know about the trick to use a tap guide in the chuck of your drill press to align the tap and provide a little pressure, right? It requires your work to be held down to your drill press table, but it makes tapping a lot easier. Just don't move anything after you have drilled the hole, chuck the tap guide in your drill press, and pilot the tap with it.
the pedal side of the crank arm profile is pretty flat as laid on the table. i've only done a mock up to see how things might work, so i'm not sure how level it would be that way. i'd have to gauge it. also, i've thought i'd just drill through the inside of the spider where it's flat, but it may be the outside surface of the spider is flat enough without having to face mill the drilling points. there is a slight angle, but if it's nominal i can lay/secure the crank on it's inner ring shelves to the table and it would certainly be level that way

i know nothing about the tap guide you speak of. i was just going to tap with a hand tool. but, easier works for me. i'll look into it
Old 08-26-19, 11:29 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

@scarlson

re: tap guide......i actually had one of those a long time ago! geez....wonder if i still have it. never knew what it was. i pick up little lots of tools from yard sales and flea markets sometimes and don't always know what i'm getting. price is right, though!
Likes For thook:
Old 08-27-19, 01:18 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
lol....thanks, again, terry

i'd thought of doing a set up along those lines, as well. however, my project just got as simple as it can get, i think.....

my wife found this drill press for me at a yard sale yeeeaarrsss ago. at the time, i just plugged it in, kinda dinkered with it a bit, and thought "cool...at some point i'll get to use it". well, my shop didn't (still doesn't) have power, yet, so i set it out of my way and there it has remained. since running electricity (very big task) has taken a back seat to a lot of other stuff, i've just gone to my friend's shop about a mile away for things i've need to do. his was bigger, anyway. (shut up!) i don't have that luxury anymore, though. he closed his doors last year. anyway, about an hour ago i went out to gather parts and stuff in an effort to get moving on this thing and then i discovered ...very cool....the table on my press swivels radially as well vertically and horizontally. i hadn't realized it would do that! so, you know what that means? yessss! i can just run a bolt through the taper and through hole in the middle of the table and easily line the bit right up to the marks i make on the spider without any sort jig or template or fixture otherwise. man!

now to try and find hardware
McMaster-Carr is the hardware source, its a bit daunting and not cheap but they have what you will need.
Old 08-27-19, 12:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

@merziac ....thanks! i've perused their website before. we have a local source just like them, but usually you have to buy in bulk quantities. they're really set up to supply the pro's

what i'd like to try and find, which may be non-existent, are some studs with one end being the size of regular chainring bolts and the other being smaller...that end going into the spider. i know i've seen studs similar to that, but i wouldn't even know how to search for them. iow's, if there's a specific term for that style. as with many things, i'll simply begin by using my best guess...

edit: okay, they're called step studs. i just have to find out what thread pitch and size chainring bolts are. find studs that have the large end of that size, the other end will be smaller with whatever pitch/size and i can trim length if i have to.

here's an example....

that's a course thread and they're $3 a pop. likely i can do better in quantity/price by shopping around, though

Last edited by thook; 08-27-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 02:35 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
iirc chainring bolts are 8mm x 0.75mm
Old 08-27-19, 02:57 PM
Depaso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
From memory, the thread pitch is M6. That is, 5mm drill for 1.0mm thread. Better wait to have the screws before drilling.
Old 08-27-19, 06:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

thanks, fellas. yes..i will wait to have hardware before getting the tap and drilling! good of you to point out
Old 08-27-19, 07:27 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Here's something I built in '83 for an MTB-converted road bike (Austro-Daimler Inter 10 with a dinged seat tube that I got for free). Fuji-branded Sugino Maxy double with a SunTour Perfect 22T freewheel cog as the inner. Some bolts and nuts and washers and here you go. I call it my K-Mart Triple and it currently resides on my Cimarron that's built up with all the parts from that earlier A-D.

That 22T cog was the smallest with a multiple of five holes/slots that would work with the 5-arm crank.

Here's the original upon completion of the build half a lifetime ago.

I also have that now-somewhat-weathered Two Wheel Travel sign hanging on the back of my garage.

Last edited by thumpism; 08-28-19 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 11:35 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

that's great! fancy it up with some chrome acorn nuts and you'll have the k-mart "especial"
Old 08-28-19, 01:11 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

what are these for? "chainring bolt sleeves"

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainset...hread/?geoc=US
Old 08-28-19, 03:12 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I think you should use this as an excuse to get an indexed rotary table. That way after you finish drilling your new granny gear holes very precisely, you can continue on with this productive hobby by drillium-izing all your chainrings...
This is what im talkin about!!!!
Old 08-28-19, 08:22 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Depaso
If you try, the appropriate screws and spacers for the third chainring, are these:
https://www.xxcycle.fr/visserie-pour...-mygal,,fr.php
Thanks for this link. I just ordered a couple of sets. I have some Avocet and Gipiemme triples in need of these bolts. I will report back when they arrive.
-J
Old 08-29-19, 12:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

so, after looking, it started to become less than simple and easy enough to find studs that fit the parameters of size, spacing, and any hopeful cost savings. there is none on the latter. no harm trying so, i'm just going to get some of the hardware depaso suggested. i mean, how often will i have to change out the ring, right? hopefully, i can get to this project in the next couple of weeks....after i've repaired a fuel line on the 4rnr (gotta drop the tank) and completed some honey-do stuff.
@Depaso thanks for the link!
Old 08-29-19, 03:43 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Over the past several months I've converted all 8 of my Campagnolo Record equipped bikes to triples using bolt kits and 74mm bcd rings from xxcycle. I used a 144/74 triplizer chainring as a template, with brass insert collars for guiding the drill bit and tap (I have a drill press and a lathe). I find this method to be quick and sufficiently precise, so I think your template method will work fine. It's a bit of a challenge to research and procure the bottom bracket parts that will produce the right chainline for each bike, but I managed, using various combinations of spindles, thin cups, thick cups, spacers, shims, etc. The conversions all worked out great, and it sure makes it more pleasant to ride these bikes in the fairly hilly terrain around here.
Old 08-29-19, 07:58 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Duke7777
Over the past several months I've converted all 8 of my Campagnolo Record equipped bikes to triples using bolt kits and 74mm bcd rings from xxcycle. I used a 144/74 triplizer chainring as a template, with brass insert collars for guiding the drill bit and tap (I have a drill press and a lathe). I find this method to be quick and sufficiently precise, so I think your template method will work fine. It's a bit of a challenge to research and procure the bottom bracket parts that will produce the right chainline for each bike, but I managed, using various combinations of spindles, thin cups, thick cups, spacers, shims, etc. The conversions all worked out great, and it sure makes it more pleasant to ride these bikes in the fairly hilly terrain around here.
for sure! i like a minimum of 25-30 gear inches for where i live and like to ride. i'm glad i don't have to go through as much challenge as you had with the BB and all, though
Old 08-30-19, 10:35 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke7777
This is excellent!
Old 08-30-19, 11:09 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Here's something I built in '83 for an MTB-converted road bike (Austro-Daimler Inter 10 with a dinged seat tube that I got for free). Fuji-branded Sugino Maxy double with a SunTour Perfect 22T freewheel cog as the inner. Some bolts and nuts and washers and here you go. I call it my K-Mart Triple and it currently resides on my Cimarron that's built up with all the parts from that earlier A-D.

That 22T cog was the smallest with a multiple of five holes/slots that would work with the 5-arm crank.

(...)
Thanks for prompting my memory. I forgot I also have a "doctored" triple om my own Inter 10. Works very well. Shown here, just after quality inspection:

Old 09-03-19, 04:28 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Originally Posted by jeirvine
Thanks for this link. I just ordered a couple of sets. I have some Avocet and Gipiemme triples in need of these bolts. I will report back when they arrive.
-J
Well they arrived, and nope. The picture on the website does not match the bolts. Or lack of bolts. Part number matches, so their picture is wrong. Too bad. Anyone have a source for whats in their picture?

Old 09-03-19, 05:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Never modified one.
All my grannies were already cranky.
Old 09-04-19, 02:46 AM
Depaso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well they arrived, and nope. The picture on the website does not match the bolts. Or lack of bolts. Part number matches, so their picture is wrong. Too bad. Anyone have a source for whats in their picture?

Contact them. I received what was shown in the photo with the same reference number.

Old 09-04-19, 06:45 AM
jeirvine 

Originally Posted by Depaso
Contact them. I received what was shown in the photo with the same reference number.
Thanks a lot. I have contacted them, and they said "We are expecting an answer from our supplier and we will let you know as soon as possible." Can you post a pic of the bolts you received, and/or the packaging?
Old 09-04-19, 10:11 AM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Triple bolts

Thanks a lot. I have contacted them, and they said "We are expecting an answer from our supplier and we will let you know as soon as possible." Can you post a pic of the bolts you received, and/or the packaging?

You ordered the correct part number 3762 (Stronglight 350008), but it seems the package contains washers instead of the bolts. I'm guessing this was a Stronglight packaging error that xxcycle didn't notice. I've bought several sets of 3762 from xxcycle, plus several sets of 3803 (Stronglight 350026, which are the complete Mygal triple crank bolt set including double chainring bolts and triple bolts), plus several 74bcd chainrings. Everything has arrived correctly, so it just seems you had some bad luck. I've found the service from xxcycle to be very good, so hopefully they will make this right. They do have a couple of problems with their product photos.
Old 09-04-19, 11:06 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
You also need high angle drill bits. Aluminum is soft and will tear rather than chipping as you drill.
I agree. My advice is don't do it. The time and trouble even if you get it right is not worth it. Buy a triple or get a smaller inner for your double.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.