Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike trainer at Aldi

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike trainer at Aldi

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 10:47 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Bike trainer at Aldi

There is a $50 bike trainer.
I didn't buy it, so can't tell how it is, but looks at least as decent as $100 stands.
Old 09-14-19, 11:24 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
meh, it's a magnetic trainer, trust me that inexpensive trainers are pretty horrible experiences. there are enough kinetic road machines used on craigslist that anyone looking to get started with indoor training can get going on a quality fluid trainer. the problem with basic trainers is there is so little wheel inertia, the pedaling is much different compared to better trainers and of course the road.
Old 09-14-19, 11:52 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
meh, it's a magnetic trainer, trust me that inexpensive trainers are pretty horrible experiences. there are enough kinetic road machines used on craigslist that anyone looking to get started with indoor training can get going on a quality fluid trainer. the problem with basic trainers is there is so little wheel inertia, the pedaling is much different compared to better trainers and of course the road.

I think the comparison to used prices is unfair. You could then compare this Aldi trainer when used to a used brand name trainer.

The same argument is made when comparing cars, or any other good. Yes, used is always cheaper. Aldi isn't gonna sell used stuff, so they compete with other places that sell new things. And new compared to new, this is a good price. Is it a good trainer? Probably not for someone serious about training, but probably as good as a new $100 trainer from somewhere else.

With that said, the best trainer has two wheels and can be used outside to get from point A to point B. Resistance settings mimic exactly the wind, grade and speed conditions of the actual ride.
Old 09-14-19, 11:57 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...rainer-review/
Old 09-14-19, 03:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
There is a $50 bike trainer.
I didn't buy it, so can't tell how it is, but looks at least as decent as $100 stands.
I am a big fan of shopping at Aldi, but the stuff like this they carry is usually total crap. The floor pump I got broke in under a week, and a fold up outdoor end table was also trash in no time. And returning that stuff is a pain if you don’t save the reciept.

At least that is my experience.
Old 09-14-19, 03:30 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I think the comparison to used prices is unfair. You could then compare this Aldi trainer when used to a used brand name trainer.

The same argument is made when comparing cars, or any other good. Yes, used is always cheaper. Aldi isn't gonna sell used stuff, so they compete with other places that sell new things. And new compared to new, this is a good price. Is it a good trainer? Probably not for someone serious about training, but probably as good as a new $100 trainer from somewhere else.

With that said, the best trainer has two wheels and can be used outside to get from point A to point B. Resistance settings mimic exactly the wind, grade and speed conditions of the actual ride.
Just curious, do you have any experience with trainers? I've had everything from cheap fluid trainers to now I have a Cycleops Hammer. It is totally fair to compare new to used when even new the product is so inferior to what can be had for not too much more brand new for an exponentially better experience, the kurt kinetic road machine can be had used for maybe $150 and is so far beyond this. With a cheap trainer, the moment you stop pedaling, the wheel comes to a stop, whereas with a good fluid trainer, you can stop and flywheel inertia keeps the wheel moving. It's a much more natural experience. My goal is to not have people waste their money on something that's just going to end up on craigslist when it turns out it's a bad indoor riding experience. I'm all for saving money (I ride an entry level 8 speed road bike because it works just fine) but with trainers, quality matters.
Old 09-14-19, 03:54 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I don’t care for any stationary trainer. I will/have ridden outdoors in just about conditions. But the cycling equipment Aldi sells is acceptable. I have the floor pump...the handle broke but I easily constructed a replacement and the pump is great. The work stand is reportedly better than other stands costing twice as much. If you’re into stationary trainers I’d say give it a try.

Dan
Old 09-14-19, 06:06 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I guess I've been lucky with my Aldis pump. Going on 3 years of LOTS of use and no problems.
Old 09-15-19, 05:30 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
...Or one could just understand that one can't replicate the road experience at reasonable cost, and it's acceptable to get a tool that allows keeping up some fitness with some resemblance to cycling.

For cycling, I wouldn't let the perfect but budget-busting alternative get in the way of an acceptable affordable one.

I use the original wind trainer. It's far from the true road riding experience, but a surprisingly little amount of work on this trainer allowed me to start the year with 20 mile rides. Not bad for something that one can find on Craigslist for $10.

Last edited by philbob57; 09-15-19 at 05:48 PM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-16-19, 03:32 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I can't comment on their trainers,pumps,etc, but I do have one of the Aldi's bike stands, and like the overwhelming majority of other owners, I think it's a lotta bang for the buck.
I was surprised how many times I'd used it in just the first couple months.
Old 09-16-19, 11:33 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
are the cycle ops fluid trainers any good?