Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can A Gravel Bike Be A Good Road Bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can A Gravel Bike Be A Good Road Bike?

Old 09-13-19, 09:10 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
We used to ask this question about cx bikes.

The answer was mostly yes.
Old 09-15-19, 11:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
All this time I thought those t-shirts were meant to be funny, but now you're saying they're really dispensing medical advice?
I get all my medical advice from tee shirts, don't you?
Old 09-15-19, 11:43 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
We used to ask this question about cx bikes.

The answer was mostly yes.
Yep, mostly...the gravel frame (bike) is a far better transitional piece than the CX precisely because of its longer chain stays. That said, if you are really able to ride a bike to the fullest of its potential (because I know I can't), the differences between a CX, road, or gravel bike are largely not going to be noticeable except in very specific sorts of circumstances on most rides, and if you've got a decent set of handling skills, either of the three will work well on both gravel or tarmac. I'll give one caveat, based on personal experience, the CX bike is the only choice for CX racing...for some pretty obvious (to me) reasons.
Old 09-16-19, 03:23 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
My two cents:

Short answer: No, if we think speed, lightness and aerodynamics are the main factors of a road bike. If you want a road bike, get a road bike. If you want gravel, get a gravel. If you want both, buy two bikes.
Old 09-16-19, 03:56 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
So back to the original post. Like most questions here that get asked in BF, the best answer is "it depends."

Whether a gravel bike will perform well as a road bike for you depends on what you want out of a road bike. From what the OP said (assuming he's still here after six pages of typical BF arguing), a gravel bike with a second wheelset seems like a very good option for him. The caveat being I don't know what his group rides are like. If he's struggling to keep up on group rides with an "actual" road bike, perhaps swapping to a gravel bike with road-oriented tires would put him off the pace. Perhaps. And perhaps not.

A gravel bike can sub in as a decent road bike in many circumstances. As can a cross bike. But a dedicated road bike that can't take tires over 25mm really won't serve both purposes.

So - OP - it depends. My opinion is that for me, I could get by with the gravel bike I just built with a second wheelset and be quite happy. But then my "road" bike is actually a cyclocross bike, so what do I know.

Do what works for you (assuming you haven't already), and not what works or doesn't work for someone else here who may have different desires out of a road bike than you do.
Old 09-16-19, 05:02 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pinsonp2
Depending on how fast you ride the road, the front chainrings on these bikes (48/32 or 46/30) as opposed to the standard compact (50/34) on a road may not be satisfactory. You may 'spin out' from time to time. YMMV

P2
At 61 spinning out is the least of my worries. Falling out of bed on the other hand.
Old 09-17-19, 05:15 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Wait, there's gravel in Manhattan??

You learn something new every day!
Old 09-17-19, 05:43 PM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh bless your heart for thinking fenders say anything about one's ability to ride well.
Don't take my rough language too seriously. I had a very serious concussion in 2009 and nearly died before I got a good neurologist and he brought be back with the proper medication to prevent mini-seizures intersperse with gran mal. So I wasn't very lucid until about 2013 and have slowly working my way back to normal. Part of the symptoms of this sort of concussion is the easy loss of temper. But here it is September 17, 2019 and I think I've pretty much recovered though missing large patches of memory.

Are you going to race CX in deep powder? Who do you think would do better - a semi-knobby 30 mm or a 36 mm knobby? Of course the answer is - the best rider. I don't remember saying or even intimating that you could RACE as well on any of these tires. I said that you can ride off road on them. I will say that Jobst in his prime with that ridiculously old school gearing and huge bike would beat you or me hands down on any CX course under any conditions. And he would run 90 psi in those 1 1/4" tires. Most of the time equipment only makes a difference in equal ability riders and that not a whole lot.
Old 09-17-19, 05:56 PM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
My two cents:

Short answer: No, if we think speed, lightness and aerodynamics are the main factors of a road bike. If you want a road bike, get a road bike. If you want gravel, get a gravel. If you want both, buy two bikes.
I'll test that premise and let you know. I have a Redline CX bike that I've ridden pretty hard off-road. In everything but very fast downhills I was faster tan full-suspension bikes. On any climbs steeper than, say, 25% or more I had to push but full suspension bikes had heavy enough front ends so that you could carry a very tiny gear without lifting the front wheel and losing control. So as a CX bike that Redline is hard to beat. I'm changing it over to a road bike since it is the right size for a friend who will be visiting in the spring and won't ride a bike with any carbon fiber on it.

Just guessing before it is together and tested but I would say it would work well for both with only a change in wheels. But you would have to know how to ride CX and, surprisingly, few Americans can. That's probably because they started on MTB's and that is a completely different sort of ride.
Old 09-17-19, 09:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I'll test that premise and let you know. I have a Redline CX bike that I've ridden pretty hard off-road. In everything but very fast downhills I was faster tan full-suspension bikes. On any climbs steeper than, say, 25% or more I had to push but full suspension bikes had heavy enough front ends so that you could carry a very tiny gear without lifting the front wheel and losing control. So as a CX bike that Redline is hard to beat. I'm changing it over to a road bike since it is the right size for a friend who will be visiting in the spring and won't ride a bike with any carbon fiber on it.

Just guessing before it is together and tested but I would say it would work well for both with only a change in wheels. But you would have to know how to ride CX and, surprisingly, few Americans can. That's probably because they started on MTB's and that is a completely different sort of ride.
I'm trying to follow your logic:

1. You are faster on a CX bike than you are on a full-suspension mountain bike.
2. Therefore, a CX bike will make a good road bike with a change of wheels.
3. But, the CX bike will only work as a road bike if you know how to ride CX, which Americans don't because they learned to ride on mountain bikes.

Is that about right?
Old 09-17-19, 10:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

My two cents:

Even with racing road bikes, you have to choose between lightness and aeroness. I mean aero bikes are getting lighter, but light bikes are too.

We're talking seconds over 40k/25 miles.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-18-19, 06:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm trying to follow your logic:

1. You are faster on a CX bike than you are on a full-suspension mountain bike.
2. Therefore, a CX bike will make a good road bike with a change of wheels.
3. But, the CX bike will only work as a road bike if you know how to ride CX, which Americans don't because they learned to ride on mountain bikes.

Is that about right?
Ha, you summed it up well from what I can see. Next we will find out that all the random points tie together somehow and we just cant understand.
Old 09-18-19, 10:46 AM
tomato coupe

My two cents:

Speed, lightness, and aerodynamics might be the main considerations for road racing bikes, but not necessarily for all road bikes.

Some gravel bikes (Cervelo Aspero, Open U.P., Allied Alfa Allroad, etc.) are essentially road bikes that accommodate larger tires. They are just as light and fast as a lot of road bikes when fitted with narrow wheels and tires. It would be quite easy for one of these to take the place of two bikes.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-18-19, 11:11 AM
Newspaper_Nick

The so called "gravel bikes" that most of you are considering as a good canvas for such double use are not really gravel bikes imo. They are like road bikes with larger tire clearance. They are closer to being a CX than a gravel bike. In my experience, riding on rough terrain requires much more comfort and control than these bikes can offer. Yes, you can try, and some of you maybe even be happy with it. But i wouldn't.
Old 09-18-19, 12:21 PM
Newspaper_Nick

A gravel bike turned into a road bike / A road bike turned into a gravel bike:
Old 09-18-19, 01:02 PM
tomato coupe

The so called "gravel bikes" that most of you are considering as a good canvas for such double use are not really gravel bikes imo. They are like road bikes with larger tire clearance. They are closer to being a CX than a gravel bike. In my experience, riding on rough terrain requires much more comfort and control than these bikes can offer. Yes, you can try, and some of you maybe even be happy with it. But i wouldn't.
Wider tires are what give you most of the increased comfort on rough terrain, not the "type" of frame.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-18-19, 02:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

My gravel bike has a 72.5 head tube angle, 73.5 seat tube angle, 56mm of trail, 430mm chainstay, and 77mm of BB drop.
Those measurements are certainly closer to an endurance road bike than a mountain bike, if you need to place it somewhere along the spectrum.
It can also handle 700x47mm tires and has heavier tubing than the company's paved road bike.

Regardless of what you need to call it- it really is a gravel bike, even if you claim it isnt really a gravel bike. I ride it...on gravel, therefore its a gravel bike. And yes- its also a road bike because gravel roads are roads. Its simply one of many styles of road bike.

Here is an incomplete list of styles of road bike-
- aero
- endurance
- touring
- gravel
- race
- tri

There are more too, and some could argue that something on the list isnt a road bike. Thats fair, but ultimately really not important.
Old 09-18-19, 02:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Remember these are general classifications, they're not like a litmus test.

I tried riding my C3 up a mountain, on a gravel road so nasty a lot of people are afraid to drive cars on it, and you know what? It worked. Worked great. Rode back down too. I also do fast pavement and mixed surface rides on it. I mean, I try anyway, and it works out really well.

I don't see what the problem is, but that's based on many thousands of miles on one, not theoretical physics or anything.
Old 09-18-19, 03:08 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The so called "gravel bikes" that most of you are considering as a good canvas for such double use are not really gravel bikes imo. They are like road bikes with larger tire clearance

In my experience, riding on rough terrain requires much more comfort and control than these bikes can offer.
What sort of bike are you visualizing under the phrase "gravel bike", and what gives it better comfort and control on mixed-surface road rides than a "road bike with larger tire clearance"?
Old 09-18-19, 05:01 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Regarding the subject line...and the OP's year old post..."Yes" a gravel bike can serve as a road bike if you are space challenged in NYC.

As it happens, I got a Felt Breed and just did back-to-back Centuries on it. 100 in Maine Lighthouse ride a couple Saturday's ago...followed by 100 the next morning down in Dartmouth, Mass in "Flattest Century in the East."

I wouldn't normally have done this, but I planned to do the back-to-back and Hurricane Dorian was threatening heavy rain / sloppy weather. My primary road bike is rim brake, so I went gravel for the hydro disc and stable flat tires. That Felt Breed is extremely comfortable, and I was fine.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 09-19-19, 05:30 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Originally Posted by HTupolev

What sort of bike are you visualizing under the phrase "gravel bike", and what gives it better comfort and control on mixed-surface road rides than a "road bike with larger tire clearance"?
Steel frame, large knobby tires (think MTB large), preferably with flat bars (or if you gonna go with drops, a "flared" dropbar), higher stack and shorter reach for easier control and comfort, depending on how large your tires are, maybe a suspension seatpost to ease road noise on your ass, wide range gearing to tackle hills/mountains (at least a 34 tooth in the cassette, even larger if possible), depending on the size of the chainring, either a 1x (small), or a 2x (a small and a larger one). If you are nostalgic, you can go with 3x. If you really mean business, you can even throw a suspension fork in that. Why not? I am all about personalization. Why go with something the market is pushing down our throats under false pretences. Some of the bikes that are sold under the gravel moniker are agressive road bike frames with plain old road groupsets attached over 700x32 (too thin) tires on carbon/aluminum rigid frames. This abomination of a bike is on market because people want to "look cool" to their friends. These bikes do exist because people realized that when you have dropbars on your bike, you look "professional". Manufacturers are all about sales and profit. They do not really care what they sell as long as it is what people want to buy. And most people just want to buy trash.

Last edited by Newspaper_Nick; 09-19-19 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-19-19, 06:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
So you're not operating anywhere close to the somewhat loose but widely accepted industry norms of what constitutes a gravel bike and you're arguing about the suitability of a gravel-as-road-bike based upon your notion rather than what's generally accepted. Cool cool cool.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-19-19, 07:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Good lord, you need a mountain bike to ride gravel and dirt roads? Seriously? What do you need to ride actual singletrack?

But I'll go through your list here:

Steel frame,
So... CF and Al work for mountain bikes but not for gravel and dirt roads?

large knobby tires (think MTB large),
What on earth so you need 2.something" knobbies on a dirt or gravel road for? Unless you are riding in mud, anything beyond semi-knobs is just making you work harder for no benefit.

preferably with flat bars (or if you gonna go with drops, a "flared" dropbar),
Most "gravel" bikes come with flared drops.

higher stack and shorter reach for easier control and comfort
....which most gravel bikes in fact have

, depending on how large your tires are, maybe a suspension seatpost to ease road noise on your ass,
some gravel bike in fact do have suspension, either in the frame, fork, or seatpost. But the reality is that even with 38mm tires, many people see zero need. But suspension seatposts are widely available for any bike if you want one.

wide range gearing to tackle hills/mountains (at least a 34 tooth in the cassette, even larger if possible), depending on the size of the chainring, either a 1x (small), or a 2x (a small and a larger one). If you are nostalgic, you can go with 3x.
Most gravel bikes do have wide range gearing and as low as you are suggesting.

If you really mean business, you can even throw a suspension fork in that. Why not? I am all about personalization.
Again, if you want an MTB for riding gravel that is up to you.

Why go with something the market is pushing down our throats under false pretences.
Because we like them? What exactly is the false pretense? They work exactly as described.

Some of the bikes that are sold under the gravel moniker are agressive road bike frames with plain old road groupsets
The road group-sets you are talking about give exactly the gearing you described above. Go look at them.

attached over 700x32 (too thin) tires
Any bike now marketed as "gravel" will take at least 38mm tires, most up to at least 42mm.

on carbon/aluminum rigid frames.
CF is often more compliant and comfortable than steel. And are you suggesting that even though CF an Al works for Downhill, Freeride, and Enduro mountain biking, but can't stand up to a gravel road?

This abomination of a bike is on market because people want to "look cool" to their friends. These bikes do exist because people realized that when you have dropbars on your bike, you look "professional". Manufacturers are all about sales and profit. They do not really care what they sell as long as it is what people want to buy.
No, these bikes exist because the bike industry finally woke up to the fact that the standard "road" bike is not what a lot of people want. In fact these "abominations" are really just a modern update (components) on what "road" bikes used to be 30 years ago before everyone wanted to pretend they were racing in the TdF. People (like me) got tired of having to choose between a mountain bike and skinny-tired road bike to ride dirt and gravel.... both of which are a cludge. Dirt and gravel roads are just roads with a rougher surface. A road bike with fatter tires is the perfect solution for that.

The bike you seem to be describing has been around for years: Drop bar mtbs like the Fargo, and also bikes marketed as "Monstercross". They have been around longer than the recent "gravel" bike craze which started in the early 2010s. But they just never caught on that well, for gravel or singletrack.The problem is that they are way overbuilt for gravel and dirt roads, and the knobby MTB tires are just a drag (literally) on these roads .

From your comment above, you are obviously not familiar with what is currently being offered and what these bikes actually are. You also have very little knowledge of how the market played out, here. The big companies are not the ones that lead the charge. Salsa put out bikes like the Casseroll, Vaya, Fargo, and Warbird, and people loved them, and bought them right up. It actually took a while for the big guys to come around and realize there was a difference between competition-oriented CX bikes and what people really wanted to ride the gravel roads in their areas.

You just see something different and strange to you and are freaking out about it............
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-19-19, 07:11 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Steel frame, large knobby tires (think MTB large), preferably with flat bars (or if you gonna go with drops, a "flared" dropbar), higher stack and shorter reach for easier control and comfort, depending on how large your tires are, maybe a suspension seatpost to ease road noise on your ass, wide range gearing to tackle hills/mountains (at least a 34 tooth in the cassette, even larger if possible), depending on the size of the chainring, either a 1x (small), or a 2x (a small and a larger one). If you are nostalgic, you can go with 3x. If you really mean business, you can even throw a suspension fork in that. Why not? I am all about personalization. Why go with something the market is pushing down our throats under false pretences. Some of the bikes that are sold under the gravel moniker are agressive road bike frames with plain old road groupsets attached over 700x32 (too thin) tires on carbon/aluminum rigid frames. This abomination of a bike is on market because people want to "look cool" to their friends. These bikes do exist because people realized that when you have dropbars on your bike, you look "professional". Manufacturers are all about sales and profit. They do not really care what they sell as long as it is what people want to buy. And most people just want to buy trash.
I think it will depend on where and how you ride on "gravel". For my type of riding suspension with large tires will be overkill for my "gravel bike". For my type of riding I d rather have a light bike with drop bars with 32--40mm tires and wide range gearing . I have lots of trails where I live, but I would like to combine fast road riding and trail riding on the same ride. Usually a cyclocross bike with modified wide range gearing works fine for my riding.

I do not ride very technical single tracks on that bike, so the need for steel frame, wire tires, flat bar, suspension are not needed for my type of riding. On the other hand, I need more than a road bike to handle steep hills and trails. If I start riding MTB technical trails I would opt for a mountain bike then or the bike you describe in your post.
Old 09-19-19, 08:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

What you describe is, to me, part of the range of gravel bikes- but it isnt at all the only type nor should it be. Your description brings an adventure bikepacking style bike to mind- something you could attach bags to, then ride singletrack, forest roads, and gravel to get to a remote campsite. It wouldnt be built for speed or agility, but rather for stability and reliability. That absolutely is an appealing bike for many and obviously yes it can be ridden on gravel.
But its also massive overkill for many who ride gravel.

For me- gravel riding means day rides on hillier than usual routes with about 4 types of surface- pavement, loose recently dropped gravel, packed gravel, and washboards near intersections. Thats the 4 types of terrain that I encounter and I dont need a suspension seatpost. I dont need a suspension fork.
What I need are 40-43mm tires and a wide range 2x drivetrain to handle all of it exceptionally well. Those two things allow me to get out to country/farm roads and have fun for hours.

I agree that personalization is fantastic- its why I build all my bikes up from frames, actually. Fully agree there. I simply disagree that 'the market' is pushing anything down my throat.
As for gravel bikes having road gearing- typical road gearing would work for 80% of my gravel riding. I agree that a standard 50/34 mated to 11/28 isnt an ideal drivetrain for a lot of gravel. And brands have clearly taken notice since many bikes now come with a subcompact 46/30 crank and wider range cassettes. You dont seem to see this, but its very much there.
As for marketing a 32mm tire road bike as being for gravel- I often see those bikes being marketed as endurance road bikes with the ability to handle gravel/hardpack dirt as it comes. The brands then still have dedicated gravel oriented offerings.

What you view as a gravel bike is a gravel bike. What I view as a gravel bike is a gravel bike. Then there are even more road looking bikes that some like to use for gravel- they are really strong riders and they value speed.

None of it is right or wrong- its just a spectrum of offerings and we can all now choose what suits us best along that spectrum. Its really neat if you view the current offerings in that way.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.