Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cyclocross!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 10:08 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Cyclocross!

I'm a distance road cyclist - a randonneur. A month ago I finished PBP, and two weekends ago a 1000k brevet in Washington state. On road 1200km under 90 hours and 1000km under 75 hours is polar opposite from 45 minutes of off-road high-intensity competition. So when my co-worker talked me into giving cyclocross a try this past weekend, I set three goals for myself:

1) Actually start.
2) Don't get hurt
3) Don't be DFL

This would be my first off-road biking experience since riding a sting-ray around the woods in the mid 70's. Goal 1 was in jeopardy Friday evening when, attempting to swap the platform pedals on my MTB for some SPDs, I found the crankarm threads were quite boogered up. So plan B formed: strip fenders, lights, kickstand, and such off my commuter, throw on some cross tires, and go racing. And so I did, heading to the event with my flat-bar, internal geared hub, dynohub laden, belt-driven Priority 8.

I qualified for three groups: Clydesdale, 60+, and Cat 5. The clydes appeared quite young and focused. The 60+ looked like guys who'd been doing this for 40+ years. So I opted for Cat 5: the newbs. Wild and wooly racing against racer wannabes'. My racing peers.

On the pre-ride, I focused on what it would take to meet goal 2. There were two possibly fast downhills that terminated in 90 degree turns, and a zig-zag on a hillside resulting in sharp direction and grade changes. Conditions were muddy but at least not raining. Fortunately the bike has good disc brakes, so I resolved to keep downhill speeds reasonable and brake generously before turns.

As far as goal 3, I lined up on the very back of the group, not wanting to mix my lack of experience with anyone else's; alas, an even less confident gentleman insisted upon lining up behind me.

Upon starting, a few things became quickly obvious: first, my legs were in no way recovered from two grand brevets in the last month. Second, I am evidently a fearless perhaps even reckless descender. Third, I have significant room for improvement when it comes to turns. Fourth, I have no running legs, as I dismounted and walked over the 3 obstacles. On climbs, the pack pulled away; on descents, they came back; on turns, I barely kept the bike upright. Overall, I kept a couple guys close most of the way, purely on my downhill speed.

Four laps and 45 minutes later, I was burnt, still upright, had been lapped by just a couple of the leaders, had actually lapped the guy behind me.

Today, my commuter is restored to it's mild-mannered fendered self. I'll go again in a couple weeks on my hardtail.

My first cyclocross experience: all goals met, and pretty darned fun.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-24-19, 08:03 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good for you! And thanks for a useful explanation of what your first race was like. There will be another one, right?
Old 09-24-19, 06:53 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Fun experience so thanks for sharing! I went off with the 'elites' at my last race a few years ago because I had to work and was late for 'my' group. I didn't fall anywhere, not even in the sand pit, and made some nice quick and efficient 'portages' over the obstacles. I got lapped by a lot of the guys but didn't finish last! I was second to last. I think that was only because one guy had a mechanical!
Old 09-24-19, 08:52 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
Good for you! And thanks for a useful explanation of what your first race was like. There will be another one, right?
Definitely there will be another. I doubt I'll every take it seriously - nor do I take randonneuring seriously for that matter - but I will improve my skills and fitness.