Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lekker leather saddles?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lekker leather saddles?

Old 03-28-19, 12:06 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Lekker leather saddles?

Hey all:

I'm seeing these saddles on that auction site for good prices, just wondered if anybody had tried them out or has any info? I'm not able to find much on the web.
Old 03-28-19, 01:00 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
https://www.lekkerbikes.com.au/produ...-saddle-black/
I like this one .
Old 03-28-19, 01:28 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Looks like plastic saddle with a cover.
Old 03-28-19, 01:33 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lekker-Leat...40b8c0ef9eb0cc

I have no experience with these other than what I glean from the photos in the listing.

Okay, with that disclaimer out of the way, I see they have already tied the skirts together. Tying the skirts in this manner is usually the last thing you do with an old saddle that is losing its shape due to use and abuse. Some people find the tied skirts allow them to get a little more use out of a saddle that's reached the end of its useful life. In my experience, once a saddle reaches that point, it's done.

If the manufacturer is already tying the skirts on a new saddle, that's not a good sign.

Originally Posted by markwesti
That's not a leather saddle.
Old 03-28-19, 04:03 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
It says leather . Read the ad .

Old 03-28-19, 07:32 PM
kylecycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
They'll be Gyes saddles branded as Lekker. Velo Orange's leather saddles are also Gyes, as are Spa Cycles' saddles in the UK. Also Cardiff, Origin8, MHL, etc. - there are various. They don't seem to be marketed as Gyes outside of Taiwan, where they're made, although they're available as such on AliExpress.

You can search the Gyes catalogue for the likely suspects - 'RAIL' and 'SPRING RAIL' - the Lekker 'Sport' is the GS-06, the 'Cruiser' the GS-08 and the 'Commuter' the GS-17. I think the equivalent Brooks saddles would be the Swallow, Flyer and B17 respectively - they're quite elegantly branded, anyway.

Gyes

The ones in the ebay listing are most certainly leather (Australian cowhide), although I think there might be some kind of a membrane incorporated to prevent them losing their shape when wet. I haven't heard of them deforming the way Brooks saddles do over time, and their rails are longer than the equivalent Brooks, allowing more setback, but they apparently take longer to break in (if at all). Others on here will have had some experience with them. Some have laces from new, some don't, but I wouldn't worry unduly about them going out of shape.

There was a problem with the nose assembly cracking and failing on early Gyes-made saddles but AFAIK that's been sorted and shouldn't be the case with the Lekker branded saddles since presumably they'll be the latest evolution. The dye tended to fade on honey coloured ones, especially, but again that might have improved.

I'm just about to order a Gyes-made 'Nidd Narrow' from Spa Cycles, effectively a GS-24, a narrower version of the GS-17, like a Brooks Professional, I think. I'll see how it goes.

Last edited by kylecycler; 03-28-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 07:52 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kylecycler
They'll be Gyes saddles branded as Lekker. Velo Orange's leather saddles are also Gyes, as are Spa Cycles' saddles in the UK. Also Cardiff, Origin8, MHL, etc. - there are various. They don't seem to be marketed as Gyes outside of Taiwan, where they're made, although they're available as such on AliExpress.

You can search the Gyes catalogue for the likely suspects - 'RAIL' and 'SPRING RAIL' - the Lekker 'Sport' is the GS-06, the 'Cruiser' the GS-08 and the 'Commuter' the GS-17. I think the equivalent Brooks saddles would be the Swallow, Flyer and B17 respectively - they're quite elegantly branded, anyway.

Gyes

The ones in the ebay listing are most certainly leather (Australian cowhide), although I think there might be some kind of a membrane incorporated to prevent them losing their shape when wet. I haven't heard of them deforming the way Brooks saddles do over time, and their rails are longer than the equivalent Brooks, allowing more setback, but they apparently take longer to break in (if at all). Others on here will have had some experience with them. Some have laces from new, some don't, but I wouldn't worry unduly about them going out of shape.

There was a problem with the nose assembly cracking and failing on early Gyes-made saddles but AFAIK that's been sorted and shouldn't be the case with the Lekker branded saddles since presumably they'll be the latest evolution. The dye tended to fade on honey coloured ones, especially, but again that might have improved.

I'm just about to order a Gyes-made 'Nidd Narrow' from Spa Cycles, effectively a GS-24, a narrower version of the GS-17, like a Brooks Professional, I think. I'll see how it goes.
Cool, helpful info, thanks! Keep me posted on that Spa Cycles saddle. I was looking at those too.
Old 03-28-19, 07:58 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

Yes, indeed it does. But the photo does not show a leather saddle. The photo shows a plastic saddle with foam padding and some kind of upholstered cover (that may be real or fake leather) and decorative rivets.

If nothing else, the stated weight gives it away. A Brooks leather saddle with titanium frame, which is as light as a leather saddle gets, is over 350 g. If this saddle is really 300g, it's not a leather saddle.
Old 03-28-19, 08:10 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lekker-Leat...40b8c0ef9eb0cc

I have no experience with these other than what I glean from the photos in the listing.

Okay, with that disclaimer out of the way, I see they have already tied the skirts together. Tying the skirts in this manner is usually the last thing you do with an old saddle that is losing its shape due to use and abuse. Some people find the tied skirts allow them to get a little more use out of a saddle that's reached the end of its useful life. In my experience, once a saddle reaches that point, it's done.

If the manufacturer is already tying the skirts on a new saddle, that's not a good sign.
I removed the lacing from my VO B67-knockoff, and it's been fine
Old 03-29-19, 02:31 AM
kylecycler

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
Cool, helpful info, thanks! Keep me posted on that Spa Cycles saddle. I was looking at those too.
Ok will do. Might take a wee while to evaluate it, of course.

Crow Cycles used to be the US distributor for Gyes but seems to be gone - they even offered them on ebay.co.uk but unfortunately the shipping costs to the UK were prohibitive, especially when at least some were available from Spa (so far Spa hasn't offered any of the sprung ones).

A cycling buddy (ex US Navy nuclear submarine Lieutenant Commander, no less - he married a Scots lass and settled here) has lent me a Brooks Cambium C15 'Carved' (i.e. with a cutout) that he didn't get on with. I've got two more-or-less identical hybrids, one used as a workhorse for transportation, the other for country/club rides and touring, so I could compare the two saddles back-to-back and see which works best. For me, of course - you'll know what works for one of us won't necessarily work for the other when it comes to saddles, especially! The most I've spent on a saddle so far was on an Ergon, and I don't think it works for me.

The 'leather look' saddle above is also marketed under different names, although I don't think it's made by Gyes.
Old 03-29-19, 03:26 AM
Catfart

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fake "Regal" ... I don't even like the original. Fake decoration rivets are not my thing ... they don't stay "real" leather. So its pro#lly plastic, Faux leather or "vegan" leather as some call plastic nowadays...
If leather then Brooks or such ... I love the old "Professional". Have about 3 or four on several bikes. My other favorite for classic roadbike is the old Turbo, not the remakes.

Last edited by Catfart; 03-29-19 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 03:39 AM
Catfart

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm

here is a almost new small Rivet Brooks Professional with lacing... should I take it off? I think Brooks does when the seat has the long cutout slit like this one.

Last edited by Catfart; 03-29-19 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 07:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
2019's tensioned leather saddle manufacturers include:

Berthoud - France
Brooks - UK
Gyes (Cardiff, Dia Compe, Fyxation, Lekker, Origin8, Papillionaire, Shinola, Spa, Torelli, Velo Orange, etc.) - Taiwan
Ideale - France
Lepper - Netherlands
Nasiruddin (Persons) - India
Rivet - AFAIK manufactured in Taiwan by Gyes but to their own proprietary designs
Selle Italia - Italy
Selle Anatomica - USA
Selle Monte Grappa - Italy
Tabor - Portugal
Old 09-17-19, 08:10 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Hey all:

I'm seeing these saddles on that auction site for good prices, just wondered if anybody had tried them out or has any info? I'm not able to find much on the web.
I bought one on clearance $38 about 6 months ago. Now they're about $78. The Commuter looks exactly like the B17. The leather is a little thicker than the Brooks and it's taking longer to break in. The ties are kinda cool but they may be hampering the break in. My butt is happy with a Brooks right out of the box but the Lekker needs some time. It's been several months and about 2,000 miles and it's getting better. I think it looks great and if I could get them at $38 again, I'd stock up. For a $20 difference I think I'd stay with the Brooks if it was for me.
Old 09-17-19, 09:02 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
I'm running a few Gyes saddles, had them for a few years now. Just as comfortable as my Brooks but cheaper and with longer rails. I see no reason to avoid them.
Old 09-17-19, 09:08 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I had the really springy one back when VO sold it. Saddle leather was fine (though it apparently needed the reinforcement the manufacturer put on the underside). I rode it with the saddle set all the way back. The rails failed after a not-very-long time.
Old 09-25-19, 01:49 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by agmetal
I removed the lacing from my VO B67-knockoff, and it's been fine
You make a good point but I loosened the laces a little to give it a little and more sag and it's indistinguishable from my Brooks. It also features a nylon cover on the bottom to keep any spray off the underside. I really like them and my ego can take the lack of the Brooks name plate.
Old 01-16-20, 06:47 PM
jimbikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All Gyes saddles, and brands that are made by them, are constructed using Australian Buffalo. The new Cardiff's leather is sourced from the same Italian tannery that makes Leper saddles of Holland. These Cardiff's are truly unique.

Originally Posted by tcs
2019's tensioned leather saddle manufacturers include:

Berthoud - France
Brooks - UK
Gyes (Cardiff, Dia Compe, Fyxation, Lekker, Origin8, Papillionaire, Shinola, Spa, Torelli, Velo Orange, etc.) - Taiwan
Ideale - France
Lepper - Netherlands
Nasiruddin (Persons) - India
Rivet - AFAIK manufactured in Taiwan by Gyes but to their own proprietary designs
Selle Italia - Italy
Selle Anatomica - USA
Selle Monte Grappa - Italy
Tabor - Portugal
Old 01-16-20, 07:01 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Gyes make great saddles. I've been using some I got for 30 bucks for years of touring. Secret is to use Nikwax Aqueous Wax on them. Makes them waterproof and doesn't soften the leather no mater how much you apply. They will stretch a bit at first but then they settle down and become super comfortable.
Old 01-17-20, 12:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I see they have already tied the skirts together. Tying the skirts in this manner is usually the last thing you do with an old saddle that is losing its shape due to use and abuse. Some people find the tied skirts allow them to get a little more use out of a saddle that's reached the end of its useful life. In my experience, once a saddle reaches that point, it's done. If the manufacturer is already tying the skirts on a new saddle, that's not a good sign.
Brooks does it, too. But here, with these Gyes saddles (and all their knockoffs), it's unnecessary. The saddles are rock hard, and they stay hard for years. The laces needn't be tied securely underneath, so the skirts can flex a tiny bit.

I will tie my Brooks saddle skirts together at some point. I prefer that to extending the bolt.
Old 01-19-20, 09:24 PM
Cycle Tourist

Hey all:

I bought one about a year ago. Nice but really hard. It had a liner under it for spray protection and ties to keep it tight. I like it but be prepared for a long break in. I'm not sure they are the same but back then it was about $40 and they had three styles. I think the commuter was a B17 look alike.
Old 01-19-20, 10:25 PM
Cycle Tourist

The saddle pictured is not what I think of a "leather" saddle. If it is real leather stretched over a padded plactic form then it might look nice but I wouldn't want to sit on it for a 100mi. ride. Some of these adds don't stretch leather but they might the truth when they say these are leather instead if leather-like.

These were the Lekker saddles I was referring to.
Old 01-20-20, 01:53 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 65 Posts
"Lekker" in Dutch translates to "tasty".

Nevetheless, I wouldnt mind having one on my bike. Good for a laugh, too
Old 01-20-20, 12:02 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Millstone
"Lekker" in Dutch translates to "tasty".

Nevetheless, I wouldnt mind having one on my bike. Good for a laugh, too
I actually expected some Dutch connection here..
Old 05-08-20, 03:26 AM
nikkoau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lekker are definitely Gyes

Originally Posted by kylecycler
They'll be Gyes saddles branded as Lekker.

Can confirm my Lekker has a "GS-08S" sticker hidden on its underside.

I only noticed it when I took the seat apart to put in a crotch hole.

The saddle is easy to take apart unlike Brooks which look to need special tools to insert the rails.

Its also easy to remove the saddle bag tabs on the back which can catch on your bibs if you dismount awkwardly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.