Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cateye Solar and rechargeable batteries

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 09:17 AM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have an old Cateye Solar cc-2000 that works great. It calls for SR44R , which are rechargeable silver oxide (AgO) batteries. When I searched on Amazon , these batteries are no longer made, so I bought the replacements, which are 303/357. I bought the Duracell version, which are alkaline. I just noticed this same battery comes in a silver oxide version, although it doesn't state in the description that they are rechargeable.

Is there something inherent in the AgO battery design that makes them rechargeable, or do they explicitly have to be made a certain way to recharge? Do you think if I bought the AgO batteries they would recharge via the solar cells in my Cateye? The alkaline batteries work fine, but they last only about 1 season, they'd probably last longer if I could remember to remove them in the winter.

Thanks

Tom
Old 08-11-13, 04:55 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alkalines are not rechargeable. You want AgO.
Old 08-12-13, 05:50 AM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the response Jose, I guess I should have been clearer. I know that alkaline batteries are not rechargeable. My question is, are all AgO batteries rechargeable, or do they specifically have to state in the specs that they are rechargeable? I just don't know much about AgO battery technology.
Old 09-24-19, 06:31 PM
Denism28

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpcorr
Thanks for the response Jose, I guess I should have been clearer. I know that alkaline batteries are not rechargeable. My question is, are all AgO batteries rechargeable, or do they specifically have to state in the specs that they are rechargeable? I just don't know much about AgO battery technology.
I have v357 batteries and if you install the cateye 2000 facing the sun fora full day, it will be ok forthree days. My batteries are at least 4 or 5 years old.
Old 09-25-19, 08:30 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Just for the record, I used LR44s for a few years. They lasted a year or 1000 miles. That is, I rode 1000 miles/year, and I installed new batteries at the beginning of a season, and they weren't working at the beginning of the next year. IOW, maybe less than a year if you do more than 1000 miles/year, maybe more moiles if you do more than 100/year.
Old 09-26-19, 06:09 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
according to wikipedia, silver oxide batteries are primary cells, and are not rechargeable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver-oxide_battery

Maybe just install 357 batteries and see how that goes, and skip the recharging phase?

I do recall the Cateye solar computer.... my brother-in-law had one. Honestly, that was so early in the era of bike computers that expectations were very low, and that design was still a commercial failure. If you want a nice vintage bike computer with a so-so battery life, I recommend one of the Avocet models. I'm still using 3 of them and get about a year of life from the 357 battery.

Steve in Peoria