Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Riding Cycle NC?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-28-19, 08:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My tent tent is up! This year the route starts in the beautiful tourist mountain town of Blowing Rock just south of Boone. We ride about 500 miles over 7 days and finish at Atlantic Beach. The annual seafood festival is going on nearby in Morehead City so that should be fun. It’s pretty flat, only about 13,000’ of climbing for the entire week.

The weather looks pretty good but temperature are about 15 degrees hotter than normal. Some days the highs will be in the 90s. It will be quite the contrast from the cooler and wetter than normal weather we had in Oregon. This tour is different than some in you have the option to get your own meals. We camp in towns and they have shuttles that will take you to restaurants and hotels if you’re not camping outdoors.

The third day we ride through my normal riding area. We will be camping at the Transportation Museum in Spencer where my son and I saw Thomas the Tank engine when he was preschool.

I enjoy meeting other cyclists and spending spending time in towns and restaurants off the beaten path. They also do a good job of strategically locating rest stops at interesting a historical locations.

Anyone interested in photos or some details as we ride across the state?

https://ncsports.org/event/cyclenc_m...oute-mileages/
Old 09-28-19, 08:42 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'd like a ride report. I did CNC way back in 2001, when the food vendors ran out of food the first 5 days and the organizers didn't consider it their problem. Presumably they fixed that little issue, but I've never been back to test the theory.
Old 09-28-19, 10:08 AM
jcoyle

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105,Vilano TUONO T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be doing at least one next year. I only learned about CNC from your post about Blowing Rock the other day
Old 09-28-19, 11:39 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'd like a ride report. I did CNC way back in 2001, when the food vendors ran out of food the first 5 days and the organizers didn't consider it their problem. Presumably they fixed that little issue, but I've never been back to test the theory.
Do you recall where you started? I rode it around that time but don’t know if that was the same year.