Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice for bike fit direction

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 04:26 AM
Mosman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, before I get flamed by all the use the search tool and get a custom frame or seek a professional bike fitter.

My resources are limited and where I live I can't get a custom frame nor an avaliable bike fitter is present, I can't even try the bikes.

After some research I came to the conclusion that I want a giant contend sl1 2018. It ticks all my boxes as well as my budget.

But I am confused as I will have to order it and don't have the luxury of trying it first.

My problem is my how my body proportions are. I have a long legs short torso with average normal arms.

Barefoot at 5'7 (170cm) with inseam of 32.1 inch (81.5cm). I am torn between the small and the medium.

Small from
5'5 inseam 28 to 30 inch
5'6 inseam 27 to 31 inch
5'7 inseam 28 to 32 inch
5'8 inseam 28 and 29 inch only

Medium starts
5'8 inseam 30 to 32 inch
5'9 inseam 29 to 33 inch
And goes up to 5'11 with inseam of 31inch

I can't post the fitting sizing from giant as I need more than 10 posts

Last edited by Mosman; 10-02-19 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 04:49 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Consider the reach of the frame. As long as there is seatpost showing, your legs will be fine. The question then becomes how long/short the stem has to be to make it all work.
Old 10-02-19, 04:55 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Competitive Cyclist has an online fit calculator, which includes torso length, that spits out stack and reach, among other things. They have a tutorial video on taking the measurements. Do this, then check out the specs for each frame on the Giant website.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 10-02-19, 05:00 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
IME it is easier to make a small bike big, than make a big bike small. YMMV
Likes For Pirkaus:
Old 10-02-19, 06:16 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm 5'7" on a low gravity day and 5' 61/2" the rest of the time. Cycling inseam is 30 3/4". My bike is nominally a size 54cm and the top tube is also 54cm. The bike fits me well but a better fit wold be a 53cm top tube. I shift between a 75mm stem and a 90m stem. When I'm in good cycling shape, the longer stem feels better by allowing a longer and slightly lower position on the bike. When not in such good cycling shape as during Spring rides after the winter slowdown, the shorter stem is more comfortable. But I'm an old guy and no amount of bike fitting majik can change that.
Old 10-02-19, 06:55 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Inseam X .67 would give you an approximate frame size. However, if you have an abnormal inseam/reach dimension you should spend some time trying different sizes. My original height was 5'10 with a 32.5"inseam and a 54 frame was ideal. I can also ride 55-56 really well. It sounds to me like you don't fit into conventional sizes.
Old 10-02-19, 08:34 PM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Competitive Cyclist has an online fit calculator, which includes torso length, that spits out stack and reach, among other things. They have a tutorial video on taking the measurements. Do this, then check out the specs for each frame on the Giant website.
Thank you will check it out
Old 10-02-19, 08:36 PM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Consider the reach of the frame. As long as there is seatpost showing, your legs will be fine. The question then becomes how long/short the stem has to be to make it all work.
Regarding stem its easy fix. I just need to g
Et most of the main bike size right and all the saddle / stem adjustments are no big deal if I pass the first step
Old 10-02-19, 08:37 PM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Inseam X .67 would give you an approximate frame size. However, if you have an abnormal inseam/reach dimension you should spend some time trying different sizes. My original height was 5'10 with a 32.5"inseam and a 54 frame was ideal. I can also ride 55-56 really well. It sounds to me like you don't fit into conventional sizes.
With such calculation it puts my on 54 more likely a medium in giants sizing
Old 10-02-19, 08:38 PM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I'm 5'7" on a low gravity day and 5' 61/2" the rest of the time. Cycling inseam is 30 3/4". My bike is nominally a size 54cm and the top tube is also 54cm. The bike fits me well but a better fit wold be a 53cm top tube. I shift between a 75mm stem and a 90m stem. When I'm in good cycling shape, the longer stem feels better by allowing a longer and slightly lower position on the bike. When not in such good cycling shape as during Spring rides after the winter slowdown, the shorter stem is more comfortable. But I'm an old guy and no amount of bike fitting majik can change that.
I am not in a Good shape and appreciate a less aggressive more upright position.
Old 10-02-19, 09:40 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosman
I am not in a Good shape and appreciate a less aggressive more upright position.
Then I say go for the medium. The reach is only 4mm longer (which is very easy to correct), but the stack is 21mm higher. Which will give you a more relaxed position.

The medium does come with a 100mm stem, so you'll probably need to swamp it out for a 90mm.
Old 10-03-19, 05:00 AM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
Then I say go for the medium. The reach is only 4mm longer (which is very easy to correct), but the stack is 21mm higher. Which will give you a more relaxed position.

The medium does come with a 100mm stem, so you'll probably need to swamp it out for a 90mm.
I found a small one in a shop will go try it
Old 10-03-19, 05:38 AM
bruce19

With such calculation it puts my on 54 more likely a medium in giants sizing
A ballpark figure. I can't emphasize enough that you try them out. That formula was from Greg LeMond's book back in the mid-80's. That was before sloping TTs.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but you can ride a range of sizes. They are typically know as Race, Eddie and French fits. I can ride 54 to 58 frames but "square" 55 is perfect for me.

Back in the day, racers would use the smallest frame that fit because it was lighter.

Last edited by bruce19; 10-03-19 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 05:44 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by berner
I just learned that a bike with frame size and TT length the same is known as, in your case, a "square 54." Just thought that was interesting. Perfect for me is a square 55 with my 32.5" inseam.

Last edited by bruce19; 10-03-19 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 11:58 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Sad to read that you can't try the bikes. I guess you weren't anymore lucky at other local bike shops around? I'm always shocked to hear / read that a LBS will not let its customers try the things they're selling before buying them. I mean, how can you know if you like it? Plus, it's not returnable nor refundable. My advice : Don't buy something you haven't tried.

I would AT LEAST ask your bicycle shop to have you sit on both sizes on one of the trainers they use. You would be able to have an idea on your position on both. An employee should be able to tell you which one fits better as well.

Judging by your specs, I'd go with the small. You can make a small bike bigger, but not the other way around.

By the way, great choice on the bike. You can't be unhappy with Giant.

Last edited by eduskator; 10-03-19 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 10-04-19, 01:26 AM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found small and medium at a shop will go try them and post pictures when I do!
Old 10-04-19, 07:03 AM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The small blue x orange and the medium black x green
Old 10-04-19, 07:07 AM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures posted

Any inputs or comments would be helpful

Old 10-04-19, 07:09 AM
eduskator

I found small and medium at a shop will go try them and post pictures when I do!

That's a good idea. If you like it, buy from that bicycle shop instead of the other one that wasn't letting you try the bikes. What a poor customer service.
Old 10-04-19, 07:11 AM
eduskator

Any inputs or comments would be helpful

How did YOU feel on them? What was the shop's recommendation?

I'd get the bigger one, but that's just from looking at the pictures. What matters is how good you feel on them.
Old 10-04-19, 07:17 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I'm the same height as you. The reach on my bike is 380mm and I use a 120mm stem.

According to the chart the reach on the M is 377mm with quite a bit of stack. Personally I would be way too cramped on a Small, YMMV.
Old 10-04-19, 07:24 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Also put your hands in the drops and ride that way and see if you have enough reach to be comfortable. Looking at you on the blue bike and imagining you in the drops - looks like you would be turtling, way too cramped.

On the Medium it looks like you could use another centimeter on the stem length.

Just my personal opinion though and my riding style.

Last edited by jadocs; 10-04-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 07:24 AM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
How did YOU feel on them? What was the shop's recommendation?

I'd get the bigger one, but that's just from looking at the pictures. What matters is how good you feel on them.
The small felt a bit cramped. Especially when pedaling, but better with the reach and bend elbows. The medium felt better much better when pedaling, but as for the reach I was a bit stretched not too stretched just a tiny bit.

Shop recommendation is small but I feel better with the medium maybe 1 cm shorter stem and a spacer or two.
Old 10-04-19, 07:27 AM
Mosman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I'm the same height as you. The reach on my bike is 380mm and I use a 120mm stem.

According to the chart the reach on the M is 377mm with quite a bit of stack. Personally I would be way too cramped on a Small, YMMV.
Originally Posted by jadocs
Also put your hands in the drops and ride that way and see if you have enough reach to be comfortable.
Thank you for your input, will try that. I still feel the medium is a better fit that can be tweaked with a saddle fwd and a shorter higher stem.
Old 10-04-19, 07:31 AM
eduskator

The small felt a bit cramped. Especially when pedaling, but better with the reach and bend elbows. The medium felt better much better when pedaling, but as for the reach I was a bit stretched not too stretched just a tiny bit.

Shop recommendation is small but I feel better with the medium maybe 1 cm shorter stem and a spacer or two.
I'd also go with a M and put a shorter stem (note that you can flip the stem upside down if you want to raise your bar a little). Keep in mind that the manufacturer specs is always intended for that ''average cyclist'', but there's always exceptions to the rule!

I would also make sure that the shop you're buying will do a bike fit. They usually offer it free of charge when you buy one from them. Once this is done, all you need is to perform regular maintenance, inflate your tires & enjoy the rides

Last edited by eduskator; 10-04-19 at 07:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.