Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycle NC Day 7-The Finale!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-06-19, 02:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Cycle NC Day 7. The last day!! 71 miles from New Bern to Atlantic Beach.

A nice finish. Mostly helping winds the first 47 miles to Swansboro, but some rather strong cross and head winds the last 24 miles to the finish. Doug, Rick and I rode together again and it was super having riding partners that rode fairly similar. The three of us took turns pulling. At times we’d look back and we might 12-15 people following us. We didn’t mind as we were just doing our thing. The line got pretty long the last 20 miles as we were fighting the wind and we reduced our pull distance to 1/2 miles. We still averaged almost 20 mph even though we were fighting to hold 18-19 mph the last 24 miles.

Though we’d never met before the event, it was a great experience to ride with the other two gentlemen. Each knew how to ride together and practice ride etiquette.

My wife got up really early and drove the 5 hours from the house to the finish. We took a shuttle from the finish over to the Seafood Festival in Morehead City. I never knew so many people liked Seafood! There must have been 100,000 people there!

While we were at the Festival I was able to catch up with a High School classmate and golf team buddy and his wife who live close by. He always had one of the smoothest golf swings you’d ever see. Hopefully we can find time fill in more of the story lines fromover the past 50 years.

After a restful night in a hotel with a real bed we’ll make the drive back home tomorrow!!!

I highly recommend this supported tour to others. They do a nice job in all areas. It’s a nice way to experience and see NC.

Don’t be afraid of trying it. Below is a picture of me with a younger fella I met during the ride. He hasn’t been riding very long and in fact, the longest ride he’d ever he’d ever done was 32 miles!!! He would start early and we’d generally pass him but he just kept plugging along. We even taught him about butt butter which once he tried it he was a believer!

I hope you enjoyed riding along with me on my 4th and last tour of 2019. Gotta love retirement!!!
Starting out in New Bern.

Rick checking out the view, nice to have cloud cover!!

Finished with my trusty Cervelo R3 which I rode across the US 3 years ago. A do it all bike.

They rolled out the RED carpet at the finish.

3 new cycling friends!

The PB&J sandwich ladies! They are here at a rest stop every year.

This young fella’s longest ride was only 32 miles before the event! Really proud of him.

At the beach!

The official finish in Atlantic Beach.
Old 10-06-19, 02:29 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Celebrating at a sea side restaurant after the ride.

Still celebrating with an incredible supper at The Boro in Swansboro.

My high school buddy, who used to own a local bike shop. Who knew.

Beach selfie with my super sag wife.

The huge crowd at the Seafood Festival in Morehead City.

This young fellas longest ride was only 32 miles before the tour. Really proud of him.
A few more photos.
Old 10-07-19, 10:04 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 943 Posts
20 mph average on day 6 is impressive ! Thanks for the great recap & photos
Old 10-12-19, 01:54 PM
dicktill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Cycle NC Day 7.

I hope you enjoyed riding along with me on my 4th and last tour of 2019. Gotta love retirement!!!

The PB&J sandwich ladies! They are here at a rest stop every year.
@jppe:

Definitely enjoyed it, and thanks for bringing us along. How many miles are you racking up each year?

The PB&J sandwich ladies would definitely make the tour worthwhile, although I would surely melt in those temperatures.

Regards, Dick
Old 10-13-19, 08:17 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by dicktill
@jppe:

Definitely enjoyed it, and thanks for bringing us along. How many miles are you racking up each year?

The PB&J sandwich ladies would definitely make the tour worthwhile, although I would surely melt in those temperatures.

Regards, Dick

I don’t even know how many miles I’m riding yearly any more. With walking 18 holes daily M-F I’m probably not riding as much during the week but I’m still doing longer rides on weekends. Just riding for enjoyment.