Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tire size for Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 02:45 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

My wife has a Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30. Believe it is 2006?

What tire size is most appropriate? I believe it has 28mm wide tires stock but was thinking of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 32. It sees use as a general city bike with some touring and camping on the horizon. The bike is currently equipped with Fenders too.

Thanks
Old 10-04-19, 05:46 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
My wife has a Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30. Believe it is 2006?

What tire size is most appropriate? I believe it has 28mm wide tires stock but was thinking of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 32. It sees use as a general city bike with some touring and camping on the horizon. The bike is currently equipped with Fenders too.

Thanks
It came with 32s.

It it can take wider tires than that (but, maybe, not with fenders).

No no one knows what fenders you have on it (and what size tire will work with them).

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-04-19 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 06:05 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It came with 32s.

It it can take wider tires than that (but, maybe, not with fenders).

No no one knows what fenders you have on it (and what size tire will work with them).
Thanks. Fenders came on it from the LBS, 32s should be fine now then. There is some clearance in the fender so should fit.
Old 10-05-19, 08:23 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
given that it will be used as a commuter often, keeping the fenders is a really nice thing for not getting dirty from muddy spray, so if 32's are the max, thats the max

however, if you can put 35's, the slightly extra width can make a diff in a bit more riding comfort and a bit more stability on dirt.
I've ridden and ride all kinds of diff width tires, and have 35mm on my commuter with fenders and they work great just from having a bit more cushion but still roll along very well (regular greenguard marathon 700x35--a great balance of cost/very good tire)

but the sherpa may not have room for 35s with the fenders, only you or an honest good mechanic can tell you that. Sometimes its doable to move fenders up a bit, but again, totally specific to this frame and the fenders.

you may think the 1.5mm wider on each side from 32 to 35 is nothing, but its the increased volume that makes the comfort diff, less pressure in the 35s vs the 32s, so a more cushy tire over bumps etc. I regulary run my 35s at 40-45psi front and about 50 rear, carrying two rear panniers, but I weigh 135.
Here in montreal we have very potholey roads, so I appreciate my commuter's slightly wider tires for this.

Last edited by djb; 10-05-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 10:05 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I have fenders on my bikes and for a time I switched from 38mm to 42mm tires on my touring bike. It is really hard to tell what is going to fit on your bike and what isn't. I had the same decision to make. I wanted to go wider than 42, but I decided to err on the side of caution with fit as I was ordering parts without being able to test fit. Although, I did put things together in the store that ordered it all for me before I left with all the parts to ensure things were still going to fit.

What I will also say is that the runout on the wheel will affect what tire size you can get away with also. If your fenders are installed well where they don't move/shake much and you can keep them "true" and your rims stay equally "true", or you maintain them to keep them "true", you can get by with a slight squeeze under the fenders. The catch to this is if you run through mud or other gunk that sticks to the inside of the fender. Any build-up can cause a narrow clearance to close in and rub the tires.

The tighter the clearance between your tires and fenders the more critical runout is (or lack-there-of) in your rims.

If you have the ability to do it - you may pick 3 close tire sizes and test fit them before you leave the store. You might be surprised what you can get to fit, or not. If you have access to a truing stand, or another method of dialing in runout, then have your rims as perfect as you can get them before testing your tire fit.

My thought is if you want a wider tire go as wide as you can. I wish I would have tried 45's instead of the 42's.