Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cateye automatic tail light?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cateye automatic tail light?

Old 10-07-19, 10:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
@ThermionicScott, I'm not convinced a steady taillight is sufficient for me to be seen. I also use a battery-powered blinky taillight. It needs charging only once a month or so, and that is a lot less burdensome than charging a headlight. I charge it every month or so, but I don't even know how long I can run it without charging it. A decent battery-powered headlight needs charging every two days, and that's cutting it too close for me, so a dynamo-powered headlight is a huge win for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-19, 11:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@ThermionicScott, I'm not convinced a steady taillight is sufficient for me to be seen. I also use a battery-powered blinky taillight. It needs charging only once a month or so, and that is a lot less burdensome than charging a headlight. I charge it every month or so, but I don't even know how long I can run it without charging it. A decent battery-powered headlight needs charging every two days, and that's cutting it too close for me, so a dynamo-powered headlight is a huge win for me.
It might help to mention that I developed some "charge anxiety" during PBP 2015, and don't like the feeling of "will my batteries last?" if I head out on a long night ride. In my book, if my light batteries poop out before I make it back home, that's as irresponsible as not bringing lights in the first place.

Battery-powered lights are truly amazing these days, and perhaps if I quantified how long they lasted on a charge, and then kept track of it, I'd always know exactly how many hours of run time I had left. But I already keep track of too much stuff.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-07-19, 11:25 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@ThermionicScott, exactly how I feel. I could ride one evening, knowing I charged the battery yesterday and I should be fine. And then it conks out, and I remember, oops, I charged it the day before yesterday. That's not OK. I kinda-sorta know the charge state of my light, but that's not good enough. With a dynamo-powered light, I absolutely know it's going to work as long as the bike rolls. That's a huge difference (for me) from kinda-sorta knowing.

At the moment, my commuter bike doesn't have its dynamo lights installed. Long story. I am using a B&M Ixon Core headlight. It always shows the charge state, which helps. It has a 1-5 readout. And as far as I can tell, it seems to be able to go three or four days between charges, so my extra layer of safety is my practice to recharge it every two days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 10-07-19, 11:29 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

That's a nice feature, @noglider. My battery taillights did/do gradually get dimmer as the batteries die, so it's not that I had no indication.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-07-19, 11:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's a nice feature, @noglider. My battery taillights did/do gradually get dimmer as the batteries die, so it's not that I had no indication.
Getting dimmer is a horrible indicator. I don't know of any other lights that have charge indicators. It makes a big difference.

Old 10-07-19, 12:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by noglider
Getting dimmer is a horrible indicator. I don't know of any other lights that have charge indicators. It makes a big difference.
Yeah, I should have said "warning" instead of "indicator." I could judge whether my old 2xAA Cateye (RIP) needed new batteries by whether it hurt to look straight at it. I still had plenty of time after that was no longer the case, but it got me thinking ahead.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-07-19, 02:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You look straight at your light to see if it hurts? Oy, stop that.