Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter: indoor tricks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 05:05 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Yep, it's starting to get cold...

I've been practicing my track stand and peddling backwards in my living room (fixie bike) and found that not much space is needed for these tricks; I clear a 15'x 5' way.

Anyways, thought I'd share.
Likes For bedtime:
Old 10-08-19, 05:54 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I spent a winter learning to track stand in my shop. Let's see, I needed a spot about 3' x 8'. Built a shallow ramp and learned on a freehub geared bike.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 10-08-19, 06:10 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by Prowler
I spent a winter learning to track stand in my shop. Let's see, I needed a spot about 3' x 8'. Built a shallow ramp and learned on a freehub geared bike.
Can I ask how long it took you to learn the track stand inside? Just curious; I'm only starting out and cannot hold more than a second or so.

Great idea, btw.

I purposely didn't do track stands outside this year but concentrated on tricks that could only be done outdoors (i.e., backwards handlebar riding, steering with feet, peddling standing on one peddle...) This leaves me with lots of time to do the motionless/on the spot tricks indoors during the winter.
Old 10-08-19, 10:15 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I used to practice riding hands free on my rollers, but after 52 years and having broken a wrist a little less than two years ago, I decided that no one gives a (insert scatological term here) if I can do it, so I don't bother anymore...
Old 10-09-19, 04:24 AM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by bedtime
Can I ask how long it took you to learn the track stand inside? Just curious; I'm only starting out and cannot hold more than a second or so.
I should mention that I was an old man. I just decided that there was not reason a 60yr old man could not learn to track stand. I did not know that I could not do it, so I did it. But yes, it look a long time and much persistence, being bull headed. At first, all I could do was fall off the bike. I then set up next to my vice with a 2x4 about 6ft long clamped vertically. I could then just grab that when I started to go over. Ease up against the ramp, wheel turned 45 deg to the left, cranks level with the floor, left foot forward. And just try, fail, try, fail, try...........

I'd say it took a couple of months. Only about 10 or 15 minutes a day. Give my body time to learn. Suddenly, one day I could stand for a second or so. Then one day it was 5 seconds, then 10. Progress was slow but steady. Wadda-ell! It was real cold and snowy and iced over outside. So stoke the wood stove, start the tunes on the CDs player and try, try, try.

Oh, and I had to switch feet. Being right handed, I'd been slowing and stopping with my right foot forward all my life. But, to take advantage of the crown in our US roads and riding on the right, I knew I had to stop with my left foot forward to track stand. That handicap'd me too. Took longer for me to learn. Well, being a dunce didn't help either.

Track standing is only a parlor trick and I do practice with every bike I test ride after servicing at the LBS. But the learning process VASTLY improved my slow speed and no speed balance which has proven to be very handy. I recommend it.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 10-09-19, 04:49 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Being right handed, I'd been slowing and stopping with my right foot forward all my life.
I am right-handed, but my default stand-on-the-pedals position has always been left foot forward. Probably because I learned to ride on a bike with a coaster brake, so right foot backward was the natural position for braking.
Old 10-09-19, 05:16 AM
bedtime

I should mention that I was an old man. I just decided that there was not reason a 60yr old man could not learn to track stand. I did not know that I could not do it, so I did it. But yes, it look a long time and much persistence, being bull headed. At first, all I could do was fall off the bike. I then set up next to my vice with a 2x4 about 6ft long clamped vertically. I could then just grab that when I started to go over. Ease up against the ramp, wheel turned 45 deg to the left, cranks level with the floor, left foot forward. And just try, fail, try, fail, try...........

I'd say it took a couple of months. Only about 10 or 15 minutes a day. Give my body time to learn. Suddenly, one day I could stand for a second or so. Then one day it was 5 seconds, then 10. Progress was slow but steady. Wadda-ell! It was real cold and snowy and iced over outside. So stoke the wood stove, start the tunes on the CDs player and try, try, try.

Oh, and I had to switch feet. Being right handed, I'd been slowing and stopping with my right foot forward all my life. But, to take advantage of the crown in our US roads and riding on the right, I knew I had to stop with my left foot forward to track stand. That handicap'd me too. Took longer for me to learn. Well, being a dunce didn't help either.

Track standing is only a parlor trick and I do practice with every bike I test ride after servicing at the LBS. But the learning process VASTLY improved my slow speed and no speed balance which has proven to be very handy. I recommend it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up! Your bike was likely a coaster bike? That would be much more difficult to do a track stand on than a single gear, direct drive bike like mine. I don't have the issue of falling; my one leg just touches the ground.

I found that it is much easier to move around inside or track stand on a very low gear (e.g., near 1:1). I suspect that the increased torque and response (e.g., from a tight chain) is able to make adjustments more quickly to keep balanced.

Peddling around in a very tight space indoors has been fun. I try peddling as slow as I can, or, I'll slow down into a track stand and try reversing out of it (fixie thing) and then try going forward again and repeat.

I really like your persistence; in the summer you'll be able to show off your new skills—if you got it, flaunt it!
Old 10-09-19, 05:18 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by tgenec86
I used to practice riding hands free on my rollers, but after 52 years and having broken a wrist a little less than two years ago, I decided that no one gives a (insert scatological term here) if I can do it, so I don't bother anymore...
Could you describe what riding on your rollers is?
Old 10-09-19, 05:26 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Originally Posted by bedtime
Could you describe what riding on your rollers is?
Sure - I use Kreitler Rollers - they are a bike trainer made up of three aluminum drums. The bike sits on top and the rear roller connects to the front roller with a band to spin the front wheel. Here is a picture of my daughter riding her rollers. It's exactly like riding on the road since you have to balance and have pretty good bike handling skills.

Likes For tgenec86:
Old 10-09-19, 06:20 PM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by tgenec86
Sure - I use Kreitler Rollers - they are a bike trainer made up of three aluminum drums. The bike sits on top and the rear roller connects to the front roller with a band to spin the front wheel.
Yup, got Kreitler rollers too. To me it feels like riding on glare ice with solid steel wheels. Loose concentration and your flying off the side. But I persist on those too and I'm getting the hang of it. Again, winter only. I can clearly see the benefits so I won't quit. Smoother, straighter, steadier, better use of the whole crank circle. A fine change of pace from the mag stationary.

I'm a long way from riding rollers, no hands on the bars, texting and reaching for another beer.
Old 10-09-19, 06:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I do my track stands outdoors all year round...Forget about indoor tricks. Spend some time in winter forum and learn some tricks on how to ride in winter and practise your tricks outdoors. It's a lot more fun riding outdoors than indoors.
Old 10-09-19, 09:19 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Try this, fat bike, wool layers and a big cup of HTFU.
Old 10-10-19, 04:40 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

I'm a long way from riding rollers, no hands on the bars, texting and reaching for another beer.
Yes - I understand. But it's absolutely awesome that you now have a goal!!
Old 10-10-19, 04:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
How high is your ceiling?

https://recordsetter.com/world-recor...cle-chin/35859
Old 10-10-19, 06:26 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I'm struggling to do the work commute, school run, and shopping run indoors. I've tried, but i just get hungry and a load of phone calls.
Old 10-11-19, 07:29 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I could beat this record. All I'd need is some Gorilla Glue, a neck brace, and onsite paramedics.