Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fitness Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 08:53 PM
wballany82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitness Bike?

Hi, I’m 37 year old, 6,1 male, looking to buy a flat bar road bike, budget around $1200,
I looked into the Trek Fx 4 sport ($1199) and the specialized Sirrus carbon elite ( on sale for $1190), the later looked great, carbon fiber frame and fork, buy component are not all shimano (cassette and rear derailleur is Tiagra, but front derailer, and shifters are Microshift, crankset is Praxis Alba). The Fx is aluminum frame/carbon fork but all shimano component (Tiagra). Weight is similar for both.
shall I go with all carbon and nicer look or better components?
Old 10-10-19, 12:24 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by wballany82
Hi, I’m 37 year old, 6,1 male, looking to buy a flat bar road bike, budget around $1200,
I looked into the Trek Fx 4 sport ($1199) and the specialized Sirrus carbon elite ( on sale for $1190), the later looked great, carbon fiber frame and fork, buy component are not all shimano (cassette and rear derailleur is Tiagra, but front derailer, and shifters are Microshift, crankset is Praxis Alba). The Fx is aluminum frame/carbon fork but all shimano component (Tiagra). Weight is similar for both.
Why not drop bars? You get two more hand positions. Plus, as a tall person myself, I find riding on the hoods of drop bars far more comfortable than flats.
Old 10-10-19, 02:19 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Fuji has a 105 model for 1200$ I believe. Fuji
Old 10-10-19, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Can you test ride? Differences might be negligence as a practical matter if they feel about the same, in which case go with the esthetics, but if you find one feels, handles and shifts better, go with the performance.

You're likely getting a great bike either way, these fast uprights are a blast on roads.
Old 10-10-19, 07:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I agree with drop bars, but if you insist on getting a flat bar bike, get a good quality set of bar ends. You'll enjoy having the extra hand positions.
Old 10-10-19, 02:10 PM
sheaffer

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I was also looking at the Specialized Sirrus model...but ended up buying Trek FX S 5 2019 model for $1600 (carbon frame). Test rode the FX 4 too. Rode great but I spent a bit more for the FX 5 model. Been riding 20 miles 3-4 times a week and put about 400 miles on it already. Love the bike. I'm partial to Trek so I say buy the Trek FX. As far as the dropped bars...eeehhh don't really care for those, I enjoy more upright position. Previous bike was Trek DS 2. I noticed on these bike forums, it's either dropped bars or no bars. :-)
Old 10-10-19, 02:35 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by sheaffer
Hey, I was also looking at the Specialized Sirrus model...but ended up buying Trek FX S 5 2019 model for $1600 (carbon frame). Test rode the FX 4 too. Rode great but I spent a bit more for the FX 5 model. Been riding 20 miles 3-4 times a week and put about 400 miles on it already. Love the bike. I'm partial to Trek so I say buy the Trek FX. As far as the dropped bars...eeehhh don't really care for those, I enjoy more upright position. Previous bike was Trek DS 2. I noticed on these bike forums, it's either dropped bars or no bars. :-)
You can achieve an up-right position with drops, and have the luxury of more hand positions. There's a reason so many people recommend them over flats.

Personally, my wrists start to ache after a while riding flats. I find the neutral position achieved by riding on the hoods far more comfortable. Also, I like the ability to get into a more aero position during descents and heavy head-winds.

Last edited by Ross520; 10-10-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 09:22 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wballany82
buy one on ebay ….you can get way more bike for 1200 dollars than you can buy brand new...
Old 10-10-19, 10:10 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by robnol
buy one on ebay ….you can get way more bike for 1200 dollars than you can buy brand new...
I wouldn't recommend that for a newbie. It's hard enough for an inexperienced cyclist to know what he's looking at in-person, let alone online.

Worse cause scenario, he ends up with a bike that is unsafe. No amount of savings is worth that.

I'd suggest finding a good sale and purchasing a brand-new bike.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 10-11-19, 05:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ross520
You can achieve an up-right position with drops, and have the luxury of more hand positions. There's a reason so many people recommend them over flats.

Personally, my wrists start to ache after a while riding flats. I find the neutral position achieved by riding on the hoods far more comfortable. Also, I like the ability to get into a more aero position during descents and heavy head-winds.
I ride both types for distance, and just rode my FX3 186 hilly miles weekend before last. With bar ends, you can vary your hand positions. These fitness bikes have a riding position that is a bit more aero than a typical upright, and I can sustain a pretty good running speed in the 20s on mine. Obviously, I can't do a full tuck on it like I do on the Allez, but I'm certainly as aero as someone riding the hoods.
Old 10-11-19, 08:26 AM
Ross520

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I ride both types for distance, and just rode my FX3 186 hilly miles weekend before last. With bar ends, you can vary your hand positions. These fitness bikes have a riding position that is a bit more aero than a typical upright, and I can sustain a pretty good running speed in the 20s on mine. Obviously, I can't do a full tuck on it like I do on the Allez, but I'm certainly as aero as someone riding the hoods.
​​​​​​
I'd have to disagree with bar-ends being as comfortable as drop bars. You also don't have the safety advantage of having the brake lever immediately accessible. Control on descents is also hampered with flats. They're really more tailored for low-speed commuting...

But to each his own.
Old 10-11-19, 08:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

​​​​​​
I'd have to disagree with bar-ends being as comfortable as drop bars. You also don't have the safety advantage of having the brake lever immediately accessible. Control on descents is also hampered with flats. They're really more tailored for low-speed commuting...

But to each his own.
Funny, because I'm using them for some pretty high speed long distance, and they work fine. Access to the brakes is no worse than shifting my hand from riding the drops (as opposed to riding the hooks, btw), so that's kind of nonsensical, and I've descended at least 9% grade for several miles on flats and never had any issues whatsoever with control. I just did 10.000 feet of descending over 2 days two weeks ago on roads of varying levels of quality with my FX3, and it was just fine.

Comfort is somewhat subjective, and definitely varies both with rider and bike. In my experience some bar ends are more comfortable than some hoods and not as comfortable as others. There's variation in shapes of hands and shapes of hoods (as well as bar ends), so generalizations from one's own experience is probably not worth much for other people.

Don't get me wrong, I generally prefer riding my drop bars, but I just find that people trying to convince others to adopt this preference say a bunch of silly stuff that amounts to "you should like what works for me."

I'm really fond of posts that tell me what I'm doing doesn't work. I'll add yours to the collection.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-11-19, 11:27 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
​​​​​​
Control on descents is also hampered with flats. They're really more tailored for low-speed commuting...
Right, that's why none of downhill riders use flat bars.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 10-11-19, 01:19 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What makes you think Tiagra is better than Microshift? Based solely on company name?

I have the same Microshift front derailleur and shifters on my Sirrus. I have over 3500 miles on them , zero problems.

But the bike that fits better and has the color you want.
Old 10-13-19, 06:27 AM
KyTrek2019

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just curious has to what bar ends do you have? I've been looking for bar ends, but seems very limited do to the Trek handlebar design. Thanks.
Old 10-14-19, 06:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KyTrek2019
Just curious has to what bar ends do you have? I've been looking for bar ends, but seems very limited do to the Trek handlebar design. Thanks.
Trek has an adapter you can install to fit standard bar ends, but you can't mount anything inboard. Nothing fancy, just put these on my FX3 last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-14-19, 07:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
​​​​​​
Everything in this post is completely false.