Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikes, bikes, bikes...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikes, bikes, bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 09:07 PM
Two Wheel Slim

Bikes: Motobecane "Nobly"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes, bikes, bikes...

Eff'n bikes man! I tell ya...

I started riding again not toooo long ago after many years of not riding. Picked up my first road bike, a funky old thing of an unknown make, though almost definitely 80's Japanese. It was too big for me but I didn't know. I thought, "Ah ha! So this is what I've been missing!" Started riding everyday. Moved in to a tiny studio, and had to bring the bike into my upstairs apartment for lack of any secure outdoor parking.

Soon enough I replaced it. Found a ride of better quality, better fit, and a much more reasonable weight for hauling up and down the apartment stairs. It was a '81 Miyata 610. Soon again, I found yet another upgrade. Coincidentally, another Miyata. This one a 310 from 1986. 7-speed upgrade. Stiff! A nimble bike for sure.

As creatively as I tried, I just couldn't find a way to keep both bikes without losing precious real estate in the tiny living quarters. I decided which Miyata was the keeper, and sold the other as hard as it was to let it go. But I lavished the reclaimed space, thoroughly enjoying just one good bike! The 310. It became something like a friend.

Hard times eventually forced the sale of my single beloved bike. It was heartbreaking! Life instantly became a long walking, bus stop waiting drag for three weeks until I recovered financially enough to get back on a bike. I found one I didn't care for at all. It was a poor fit among other issues, but the price was right. I was feeling desperate. A Motobecane Nobly, which I've come to refer to as "The Lowly Nobly." It truly weighs a ton. It was an awkward ride home. But it was a ride home!

Two days later, one that looked like it would fit my needs better shows up for sale. A Chicago made Schwinn single speed conversion. I make plans to check it out the next day. Very next morning, I cross the street from home on my way to work. There's a bike laying on the sidewalk. Lugged. 5-speed. Vintage. Nice components. No decals or head badge, but likely French. Weighing about 25 pounds. It's early, still dark, and not a soul in site. I process the situation, consider the options, and decide to put the abandoned bike into the safe keeping of my apartment, and back off to work I go!

I get off work. Check out the Schwinn. It's fits well, feels good, rides nicely, and is not nearly as heavy as I expected. It's priced right. I buy it!

Now here I am, I'm trying to get the found bike back to it's owner if there is one, and if they happen to be looking for it. I'm preparing to put the Motobecane up for sale, and I'm brainstorming subtle improvements I could make to the Schwinn since I anticipate riding it happily through the winter, and then some!

What's boggling me is how in the hell does one go from having zero bikes in the apartment to having three over the course of only a few days... Did I mention I only have space for one!??! This was not in my plans!!!

Ok, real talk now. I'm not complaining. Because bikes... They're a lot of fun!
Old 09-14-17, 09:12 PM
tnburban

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did I just read that you stole a bike?
Old 09-14-17, 09:45 PM
Two Wheel Slim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tnburban
Did I just read that you stole a bike?
No! Is that how you interpreted it? However, it is possible that the bike is stolen though it's not showing up listed on the local bike registry for stolen bikes. I've posted it as a found bike in two places (lost & found, and the bike classifieds) on the local Craigslist. I've gotten one response so far looking for a missing bike. The description made it clear that it was not the bike I found. Tomorrow I'm reporting it to the police.

I found it on the dark side of a convenience store near a dumpster laying on its side unlocked before sunrise. There was no one in sight along the block, around the corner, through the alley, or in the store besides the clerk. Not much goes on near that dumpster throughout the day except for drinking, drug dealing, pan handling, and things of that nature.

What would you have done?
Old 09-14-17, 09:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Two Wheel Slim
No! Is that how you interpreted it? However, it is possible that the bike is stolen though it's not showing up listed on the local bike registry for stolen bikes. I've posted it as a found bike in two places (lost & found, and the bike classifieds) on the local Craigslist. I've gotten one response so far looking for a missing bike. The description made it clear that it was not the bike I found. Tomorrow I'm reporting it to the police.

I found it on the dark side of a convenience store near a dumpster laying on its side unlocked before sunrise. There was no one in sight along the block, around the corner, through the alley, or in the store besides the clerk. Not much goes on near that dumpster throughout the day except for drinking, drug dealing, pan handling, and things of that nature.

I might have mentioned it to the clerk, or called the police then and there ... or just left it.
Old 09-14-17, 10:57 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
"Bikes, bikes, bikes..."

Something I saw last week in Austin, TX...

Dan
Old 09-15-17, 12:10 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I found it on the dark side of a convenience store near a dumpster laying on its side unlocked before sunrise.

You may think you didn't steal it, but you picked up a piece of property which doesn't belong to you. And there is a possibility that the bike was stolen before, and left where you found it. Possession of stolen property is no less serious than stealing property (I say this as a former police officer). If you are riding the bike, and are pulled over by the police, or the owner sees you on it, and calls the police, don't think they'll believe the story "I found it next to a dumpster, unlocked, outside a convenience store." And even if they believe your story, they'll likely say "why did you take a bike which wasn't yours"?

In some places, if you turn in property you find to the police, and no one claims it, you will be allowed to have it.
Old 09-15-17, 09:28 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts

There's a bike laying on the sidewalk. Lugged. 5-speed. Vintage. Nice components. No decals or head badge, but likely French. Weighing about 25 pounds. It's early, still dark, and not a soul in site. I process the situation, consider the options, and decide to put the abandoned bike into the safe keeping of my apartment, and back off to work I go!

Ten years ago, some college kids were over for a BBQ, they are all from Hawaii but going to school in the Midwest. They live about 6 blocks from my house. I thought it might be fun for them to go bike riding so I setup some of my bikes for them to ride and let them take off. I later went to their house and all of my bikes were laying in the front by the sidewalk and no one was around. Someone could have assessed the situation and decided that they were abandoned and walked off with them. Luckily they didn't. But if that happened they would have been stolen.
Old 09-15-17, 10:51 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I found it on the dark side of a convenience store near a dumpster laying on its side unlocked before sunrise.
Not much goes on near that dumpster throughout the day except for drinking, drug dealing, pan handling, and things of that nature.

What would I have done? I wouldn't have been there in the first place. **********?
Old 09-15-17, 11:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
You also have to consider that the rightful owners may not use the internet to see your found ads, or may be uncomfortable reporting the "crime" to police for any number of reasons. I'd have left it.

But to answer your actual question, it isn't hard to rack up three bikes in a short amount of time. I did that last month, three deals just too good to pass up.
Old 09-15-17, 12:34 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Yeah, I would have left the bike where it was. If it's not mine, I'm not taking it home even if I have the best of intentions of finding the owner and returning it to them. A better bet would have been to notify the clerk and let them deal with it, likely by calling the police and reporting found property.
Old 09-15-17, 04:49 PM
Two Wheel Slim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the replies appreciated. Some of you have made some strong points which will keep me better informed in the future should I find myself in a similar situation. The only thing I'm guilty of is ignorance around stipulations related to legalities in this case. Though I'm acquainted now, thanks to you guys. I treated the bike like I would have if I found anything else which I'd have presumed to have value to someone who might be trying to recover it. I did what I'd hope someone would do for me.

Are you interested in an update?

Called the police this morning, and informed them that I found the bike two days ago, and that it's in my possession. I informed them that it is posted as a found item in multiple categories on Craigslist. The police ran the serial number. It was not in their database. They directed me to the Oregon Finder's Law, and instructed me to refer to it for further instruction. I did. The first rule states that any found money or property valuing $100 or more requires the finder to file a report with the sheriff within 10 days which begins a three month process so that the rightful owner may reclaim the object. If they don't, ownership then transfers to the finder. I also checked in with the convenience store about the situation. They have no knowledge of the bike or anyone searching for one. They know I have it, and how to contact me if that changes.

What I'm trying to do now is determine if the bike is worth more or less than $100. Why? Because I'd rather not have to fiddle with the sheriff for the next 3 months. I also don't want the bike in my apartment. I dont even want the bike. Remember, I have room for one. This one makes three. Additionally, its 58cm, and I ride a 54. I'm also beginning to seriously question if anyone else actually wants it. If they do, then I still want to get it it back to them of course.

But today I finally had time to take a look at what I brought into my apartment...

Fork is bent in towards the frame, and the the left side of the handlebars are bent downward. This bike was wrecked at some point in time. Front brake is defunct. Both rims are badly out of true, and the gum walls are falling apart. Rear dérailleur wont shift out of the smallest gear. Aside from that, can't really asses the frame for squareness without taking it apart. And can't read it for rust or cracks due to an old thick coat of rattle can paint which is peeling away, and the seat tube being wrapped in vinyl tape. It does appear to be a good quality frame, and some of the components are pretty desirable. but this is not a ridable bike, and it needs a complete overhaul at the very least.

In my opinion, if it was parted out a person could maybe fetch a sum of somewhere around $100, certainly quite a bit more if they sold the parts on ebay. But as a complete bike, a full on project, I don't see it fetching more than $50 locally. Someone on a facebook group thinks its a Gitane based of of the lugs, and the fork crown. I'm feeling like getting some opinions on the bike's value in the C&V forum. And I'm going to check in with the local bike co-op to see if they know anything about the bike or it's owner. Its still on Craigslist, and I'll keep that refreshed, but as someone here said, not every one uses the internet.

If I'm going to be honest, heres where I'm at with it. I hope that I find the owner before 10 days is up. If I don't then I hope that I could conclude that the bike is worth less than $100. If that'd be the case, I would salvage some parts, and donate the carcass to the co-op. If the bike is determined to be worth more than a bill, then I'll file the report, and see what happens over the next three months.
Old 09-15-17, 05:11 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Fix up the bike you stole and go put it back by the dumpster.
Old 09-15-17, 05:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My mother taught me not to touch things which don't belong to me.

I've stuck by that rule and my conscience never bothers me.

-Tim-
Old 09-15-17, 05:23 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Very next morning, I cross the street from home on my way to work. There's a bike laying on the sidewalk. Lugged. 5-speed. Vintage. Nice components. No decals or head badge, but likely French. Weighing about 25 pounds. It's early, still dark, and not a soul in site. I process the situation, consider the options, and decide to put the abandoned bike into the safe keeping of my apartment, and back off to work I go!
Probably a stolen bike left by a meth head so out of it that he or she forgot they even had it.
Still, most likely stolen.
Old 09-15-17, 05:32 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
If you insist on going through with this, a bike with a bent frame/fork and other damage, plus wear, is likely worth less than $100. Proceed accordingly.
Called the police this morning, and informed them that I found the bike two days ago, and that it's in my possession. I informed them that it is posted as a found item in multiple categories on Craigslist. The police ran the serial number. It was not in their database. They directed me to the Oregon Finder's Law, and instructed me to refer to it for further instruction. I did. The first rule states that any found money or property valuing $100 or more requires the finder to file a report with the sheriff within 10 days which begins a three month process so that the rightful owner may reclaim the object. If they don't, ownership then transfers to the finder. I also checked in with the convenience store about the situation. They have no knowledge of the bike or anyone searching for one. They know I have it, and how to contact me if that changes.

What I'm trying to do now is determine if the bike is worth more or less than $100. Why? Because I'd rather not have to fiddle with the sheriff for the next 3 months.

Fork is bent in towards the frame, and the the left side of the handlebars are bent downward. This bike was wrecked at some point in time. Front brake is defunct. Both rims are badly out of true, and the gum walls are falling apart. Rear dérailleur wont shift out of the smallest gear. Aside from that, can't really asses the frame for squareness without taking it apart. And can't read it for rust or cracks due to an old thick coat of rattle can paint which is peeling away, and the seat tube being wrapped in vinyl tape. It does appear to be a good quality frame, and some of the components are pretty desirable. but this is not a ridable bike, and it needs a complete overhaul at the very least.

In my opinion, if it was parted out a person could maybe fetch a sum of somewhere around $100, certainly quite a bit more if they sold the parts on ebay. But as a complete bike, a full on project, I don't see it fetching more than $50 locally. Someone on a facebook group thinks its a Gitane based of of the lugs, and the fork crown. I'm feeling like getting some opinions on the bike's value in the C&V forum. And I'm going to check in with the local bike co-op to see if they know anything about the bike or it's owner. Its still on Craigslist, and I'll keep that refreshed, but as someone here said, not every one uses the internet.

If I'm going to be honest, heres where I'm at with it. I hope that I find the owner before 10 days is up. If I don't then I hope that I could conclude that the bike is worth less than $100. If that'd be the case, I would salvage some parts, and donate the carcass to the co-op. If the bike is determined to be worth more than a bill, then I'll file the report, and see what happens over the next three months.
Old 09-17-17, 06:48 PM
Milton Keynes

What I'm trying to do now is determine if the bike is worth more or less than $100. Why? Because I'd rather not have to fiddle with the sheriff for the next 3 months. I also don't want the bike in my apartment. I dont even want the bike.
Then have the police pick it up and put it in their found property.
Old 09-17-17, 06:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Probably a stolen bike left by a meth head so out of it that he or she forgot they even had it.
Still, most likely stolen.
I agree, especially after the OP's description of what goes on by the dumpster.