Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trike for chest surgery?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Trike for chest surgery?

Old 01-31-19, 10:57 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The Catrike Trail shown in the CL listing for Elk Grove is way overpriced at $2K. Catrike made substantial changes to their lineup in 2013, switching over from 16" front wheels to 20" front wheels, redesigning the frames, and changing the drive trains from 9 speed Shimano to 10 speed SRAM. It's much harder to find 16" tires and tubes plus the selection of brands is far fewer. This trike must be prior to 2013 so the seller is asking the MSRP for at newest a 7 year old model. The new Trail currently sells for $2,750 but it now a folding model so the two models are not at all comparable. We all suspect that bicycle blue book is nutty when it comes to resale prices for recumbents but this seller was careful to not show the suggested resale prices. The price listed for a buyer for a 2011 Catrike Road in excellent condition is only $499-$513. That's obviously less than anyone would sell it for. I looked a couple that sold on Bentrider. The prices were in the $1100 to $1200 range which seems a lot more realistic. It is also a very low seating trike so if you need something that you don't have trouble exiting, this one may not be good.

Here is one on the Houston CL listed for $1100 https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...793853204.html
Old 01-31-19, 11:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Good welders can make all kinds of nice things...
Amateur welders can turn out interesting stuff, too.
Old 01-31-19, 12:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The Catrike Trail shown in the CL listing for Elk Grove is way overpriced at $2K.
That and the rest of your post too I gathered based on some further reading and looking at sold prices on eBay. I’m seeing prices around $2000 for pretty nice racy ones and $1000 ish for less racy ones.

That seller is in no immediate danger of me telling him so, though. Need is still nearly three months out and post tax return at the earliest

lots of sellers here asking way too much. There’s a Terra Trike with drum brakes listed for $1500. How old could that be?

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-31-19 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 07:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by tcs
It's pretty much bounded by the limit on your charge card and whatever weight you want to pedal uphill
That’s like the rear of an old VW. I picked Macpherson struts because they sit low, make a lot of room between the uprights unlike wishbones which need to mount the upper arm, and the whole strut rotates which would help with packaging the steering. But thinking it further I guess the benefits of an independent suspension don’t really help that much when you have round tires and a live axle would do ok too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-31-19, 07:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
You NEED some kind of suspension when you have 4 wheels on the ground, so that a bump or hole doesn't pick one wheel off of the ground.

With 3 wheels, the trike will roll with the bumps. In theory suspension might help some, so you aren't moving the center mass as much, but if you get the tire inflation right, the bumps aren't that bad.

It may take some practice getting used to lane positioning.

I don't remember bumping a trike wheel over curbs and such, although I didn't put that many miles on the trike. I do occasionally bump a trailer tire somewhere it isn't supposed to go.

I don't think I'd go with suspension for general pavement riding, although you may have a unique situation in which suspension might be of benefit.

I'd encourage you to find a trike to rent, borrow, use, test-ride for a bit before making the final decision, and if you're still riding now, do it before the surgery.

Is there a local trike shop that would have a variety?

It might be fun to visit Utah Trikes sometime.
Old 01-31-19, 08:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I've sort of derailed my own thread here with all this extraneous stuff as I enjoy learning about the topic. I'm still headed for a conventional tadpole. Suspension not needed. Going down curbs doesn't seem like it would be a problem. Going up curbs sounds like a non starter! Trailer doesn't care, kids in trailer might. My route to work would definitely change a little. Even aside from the obvious no trails or curbs, there are a few badly placed wheelchair ramps from sidewalk to bike trail that wouldn't be navigable with one of these. Fortunately all the roads where I'm headed have bike lanes.

The note above about seat height and angle might be important. I'm not sure. I still think sitting down will be the biggest challenge. My legs will be fine, my sternum will be sliced, my abs I don't really know about. The Trail wasn't the raciest trike, they made one at the same time with a 33 deg seat. The current crop have seats that are mounted to the frame instead of mesh stretched across the frame, and the seats are adjustable angle.
Old 01-31-19, 09:49 PM
CliffordK

I'd worry about getting comfortable more than a racing position.

Like a trailer, the trike wheels will hang out a bit wider than you are used to.

I tend to ride to the right, and picked up one or two flats with that right tire just a bit more in the debris than I would normally ride. Plus, if there was a pothole, or debris on the road, I could split it between the two side tires, but that third tire would always go bumping over the top.

You will probably want to learn to steer around/through stuff, rather than standing up and moving the trike by hand. Narrow curb cuts? Do the best you can, or perhaps there is a driveway you can hit. Bollards?
Old 01-31-19, 10:03 PM
CliffordK

One thing to look at are the local "Adaptive Services".

Both Eugene and Portland have something. Are parts of California enlightened too?

https://www.eugene-or.gov/134/Adaptive

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/73371

adaptivebiketown

I think at least the Portland system is very much modeled on their Bikeshare program, which very much doesn't apply to some bike commuters and Living Car Free individuals.

In your case, you really need a long-term rental for a few months, then hopefully your needs will go away or evolve.

But, I have no doubt they would be a good resource to stop by and talk to.

Find out what you have locally for Adaptive Cycling.
Old 01-31-19, 11:05 PM
bwfox

Bikes: Varied and subject to change

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trike

I am a 65 year old lifetime cyclist. I went to strictly trikes about 3 years ago. I now have a Catrike Villager with 3 20" wheels and a higher seat. I also have a 2016 Catrike Expedition with 20" wheels in front and a 26" wheel in back. I run Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires in the winter and Big Apples in the summer. The BAs do a decent job of damping the road shock. I haven't needed or wanted to spend the extra $ and weight penalty for folding and or suspension. I think the Expedition ranks as one of the best values in recumbent trikes. You get a nice 30 speed drivetrain, headlight mount, computer mount, left mirror, nice seat with pockets on back, and a neck rest all stock.
I added assist handles for getting up and out, a padded seat cushion, and a set of the Catrike saddlebags made by Arkel.
Lately, I have been thinking of selling the Expedition and building up a nice Soma Buena Vista mixte. I ride with a prosthetic left leg and the lower step through might get me back on a 2 wheeler for a few more years. I will hang on to my Villager trike for winter and slow rides.
When I get my Expedition cleaned up and ready to sell, I would want $1600 and could deliver to Las Vegas. I live in Wells, NV about 600 miles NE from Vegas.
Old 01-31-19, 11:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Can you post a photograph of your grab handles? That’s something that might be really helpful.
Old 02-01-19, 01:38 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Find out what you have locally for Adaptive Cycling.
At first glance there is Paralympic Sport Sacramento which has group rides for handcycles and blind stokers. Recumbents are mentioned but not sure via Internet what might be going on there.
SACRAMENTO HANDCYCLING, FOOT PEDAL RECUMBENT CYCLING
AND TANDEM CYCLING CLUB

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/parksandrec/recreation/access-leisure/Sports/Cycling
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Paralymp...=page_internal

If I'm honest it's making me feel like I'm imposing on someone else's culture. I just want to ride my bike out my garage door as normally as I can manage.
Old 02-01-19, 11:10 AM
bwfox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you post a photograph of your grab handles? That’s something that might be really helpful.
These are the ones I bought.
https://www.poweroncycling.com/produ...t-bars-839.htm
Old 02-01-19, 11:19 AM
bwfox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At first glance there is Paralympic Sport Sacramento which has group rides for handcycles and blind stokers. Recumbents are mentioned but not sure via Internet what might be going on there.SACRAMENTO HANDCYCLING, FOOT PEDAL RECUMBENT CYCLING
AND TANDEM CYCLING CLUB

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/parksandrec/recreation/access-leisure/Sports/Cycling
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Paralymp...=page_internal

If I'm honest it's making me feel like I'm imposing on someone else's culture. I just want to ride my bike out my garage door as normally as I can manage.
I am handicapped according to some. The most amount of recumbent riders are either recovering from surgeries or aging. Then there are those who got turned on to recumbent position years ago and never looked back. The reasons for recumbents and trikes are as varied as the "normal" people on DF bikes. It doesn't matter your reason. Lots of people come and go for various reasons. Does being able to commute again make you smile? Does commuting on a trike make your wife and doctor less uneasy?
Buying a used trike and being able to flip it when you are done is both relatively easy and safe regarding your investment, but pretty easy given your location.
There are quite a few adaptive athletics. The owner of Power On Cycling is big into helping athletes develop their program. OTOH, there are thousands of trike riders just enjoying getting out and riding. I ride for cycle therapy.
Old 02-02-19, 09:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I thought to check Facebook classifieds and there are four Terra Trikes (one electric) and a Catrike Pocket listed nearby. None are cross posted with Craigslist. Classifieds are moving again, need to remember...
Old 02-04-19, 06:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Have been shopping.

Lots of Terra Trikes. One nearby has been sitting 5 years but was little used before that. It has crank shorteners which I’ll be wanting for my kids on my tandem pretty soon here, and lots of accessories. I judge it the likeliest buy. One in Chico, a later model at a better price, but a long drive. The guy with the Catrike Trail has not written back a second time. The guy with the Catrike Pocket is 5ft0 with bad knees and had the boom shortened so that’s out. There’s a few more further away and/or older than I want. Including a Landstrider which is cool at first glance and considering all the skinny steel tubes might have a nice ride, but it looks like an amateur project. Lots of people leaving their forgotten listings up on Facebook... it doesn’t expire them like Craigslist.
Old 02-04-19, 11:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

...but SWMBO just told me not to buy til the 19th
Old 02-05-19, 12:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
...but SWMBO just told me not to buy til the 19th
I'm not sure why that upsets you. What is the hurry? When is the surgery? You said you weren't going to start riding for two months afterwards. My wife would want to make sure I made it through the surgery before she allowed me to spend that kind of money. And she would be right to do that. I don't think you realize just how deep in it you are. I wish you the best, but, seriously, I think you need to manage your expectations. I have a friend that you remind me of. He had hernia surgery (after a triple bypass) and assured me he was pacing himself to stay within his medical restrictions, but has torn the internal stitches. It's going to have to be redone. He was convinced he would lose his mind if he couldn't get back on something ASAP after surgery. He wasn't allowed (he had, yes had, an SWMBO too) to buy a bike before his surgery (he was a runner) so he crawled into the bike shop just hours after being released from the hospital. He already knew the one he wanted. You are young. A lot younger than me. You have a LOT of time ahead of you. You live in Paradise? Good, wait for it, it's not going anywhere. Anything can happen, even on a trike. If a dog that yanks a leash is not advisable, then dropping a wheel off a curb or into a pothole, and torquing your chest is equally inadvisable. It could happen. I know, I know, you could have to brake hard to avoid hitting someones cat and torque your chest. THAT would be easier to explain to SWMBO. See the difference? Please allow me to pass some wisdom from my greater years on the planet. Men never realize just how big a pain in the @$$ they are constantly being to their wives until the wife files for divorce. Its true. 75% of divorces are filed by women, 90% of women if you only count those considered 'middle class'. Only 20% of men had any clue that their marriages were in that much trouble. It's never just one thing. It's a succession of smaller things over years. That's all I've got This could have been a short thread but it did go on to be interesting in its own way. But it ignores the festering realities underneath. That may have been the point. Distraction. Anticipation. Sigh. They say the four most awful words in the English language are: "I told you so". Not that I would ever.
Old 02-06-19, 12:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

It’s a fair question. There are a few reasons to shop now. One is that I still have my independence. One big reason for the long recovery and a threshold for returning to work is when I am permitted (not able) drive. The danger of sternum infection x the likelihood of a car crash with airbag means they keep a long prohibition on being in the front of a car. But our vehicles have kid seats 3-abreast. Modern cars no longer have a shutoff for the passenger air bag. So I’m going nowhere most of the time for 2 mo and only at the pleasure of my driver and availability of a babysitter. After that it’s mainly about risk of a serious fall, that’s why a trike. Another reason is that I really wanted to try it while I’m still able and not approaching it as a neophyte while already handicapped, to see if it’s something to enjoy. And finally it’s fun to be enthusiastic about something in the face of a depressing problem.
Old 02-06-19, 03:51 AM
CliffordK

I don't think you ever stated what the surgery was. Pig valve? Coronary Artery Bypass. Whole Heart Upgrade? Bionic Heart?

I do think there will be benefits of getting the new rig early. Getting comfortable riding it. Mirror? Panniers? Flag? Getting in & out? I like those steering handle upgrades posted earlier. Tuning? Etc. Although, you can certainly leave some for later too, as you're sitting home trying to occupy your time.

It sounds like the surgeons really don't want you bumping your sternum, and I'm not convinced that cycling will be particularly better than driving a car.

At the same time, some activity will be useful. Keep moving. Avoid blood clots, etc.

But also go by the guidelines of the docs and nurses.

I wouldn't avoid buying the trike on the off chance that you won't wake up as the value won't crash overnight, and it can always be re-sold.
Old 02-06-19, 08:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
The trike route would seem to be the way to go. Riding a trike sensibly means a low percentage of falling.
Old 02-07-19, 12:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I went to see one of the used bikes yesterday. It's a decent model with little use but it's been under a tarp for some years and shows it. The black parts have gone dull, the chain and cables are a bit crusty. The main bearings (pedals cranks hubs headsets) all seem fine. But the sellers are a family of sweet old farmers and I don't know how hard I can lowball them without feeling too guilty! I was able to ride it around a little.That marks my first trike ride. I enjoyed it but I can definitely see that it's somewhere on the spectrum between wheelchair and bike. Sitting down without using my chest was easy, this one has an adjustable seat angle too. And then my butt was wet because it turns out they had lately hosed out the spider webs! The steering effort was fine once it was moving. It was wearing crank shorteners and it was hard to get it launched without backpedaling to the right crank angle to get leverage.

It was a Terra Trike Rambler which seems to dominate my used market locally. Despite predictions upthread I don’t think it would be frustratingly low performing. I do see how it’s limited but it’s not that big a deal for a guy now riding a plus tire bike.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-07-19 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 05:19 PM
CliffordK

A "Rover"????

A little more upright of a tadpole trike than I normally see.

"Rover" Recumbant Bike - $400 (Glenwood)

Looks like a bit of an older model, but says 2011???

I was at first thinking it looked homebuilt, but it does have the right steering geometry.

I don't see a mirror, but does appear to have a rack and a good taillight.

Disc front brakes (not sure if they're coupled).

Is that a rear tensioner? I'm not seeing any shifters.

Last edited by CliffordK; 02-07-19 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 05:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

That Rover specifically appears to have been altered quite a bit and given an automatic rear derailleur. The Rover generally is a little on the too-cheap side.

Fortunately the Rambler I'm looking at has factory original, conventional 3x9. The components on it I would rate "good but not fancy," much like my Burley tandem.

The brakes are one per front wheel, no rear, not linked. The one I looked at had some clever Promax levers with a "parking brake" locking pin.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-07-19 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 08:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Bass-boat seat on a trike? Stay away!
Old 02-08-19, 08:33 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Think over a Sun EZ Sport. Very comfortable, easy on & off and your hands just rest on the bars. Also they are easy to step off while they are moving. This really saved my bacon when a driver on a cross street appeared to be slowing down to stop. In reality he was slowing to roll the stop sign and turn right. In a flash, I was off that bike and was clear of the car's trajectory.On streets, they are far more visible than a trike. Cheaper, too. bk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.