Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Litespeed Vortex: how much is this bike worth?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-05-19, 07:08 PM
seajayseuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy internet strangers!

Im selling this bike for my old man and I cant figure out how much it's worth for the life of me. Im hoping you all would help me get a better idea of what a fair asking price would be so I can find it a new home. Seems to be a damn fine machine from what I understand so far.

Attached is a quick write up of the bikes specifications. Hopefully the picture is legible in the post. I will follow up with these details if not.

Last edited by seajayseuff; 05-05-19 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 11:41 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Look on ebay to see what similar bikes are selling for.
Old 05-06-19, 08:16 AM
seajayseuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive looked over everything I can at this point. This is a last resort. I see these bikes going anywhere from $600- 2 grand. Any idea of a fair price that you guys who know this stuff would pay is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-19, 09:11 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Hey seajayseuff, first of all why don't you sign up for a paid membership to avoid any suspicions you might be trying to illegally find a buyer on this forum? Not accusing you of anything, just saying, because new members looking for an appraisal raises a yellow flag. Just $12 for a year, a buck a month.
Old 05-07-19, 10:32 AM
seajayseuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Hey seajayseuff, first of all why don't you sign up for a paid membership to avoid any suspicions you might be trying to illegally find a buyer on this forum? Not accusing you of anything, just saying, because new members looking for an appraisal raises a yellow flag. Just $12 for a year, a buck a month.
I intend to sell the bike locally. Will be advertising it on craigslist, Letgo, and facebook marketplace. With all due respect, Im not 100% clear on what you are talking about regarding the legality of trying to sell the bike on this forum. Also wasnt aware of that there was paywall on the site! (I take it you need to subscribe to sell stuff?)

Anyways, I had been attempting to set up accounts with afew other forums (road bike review and bike radar specifically), and this was the only forum that would allow me an activated account that I can post with (potentially the only forum that is operational as far as I can tell, lol). Ive emailed admins on the aforementioned forums to figure out how to access posting privileges on one, and why my account had failed to be activated by an admin on the other. This was last week and still no responses . Idk who's running things over there, but a forum that doesnt let people sign up and post is frustratingly redundant...

Sorry for the tangent. Im at the end of my rope on here boys. Will likely ask for something on the high end and take offers. If it is allowed, any insight to what a fair number is would still be very appreciated!
Old 05-07-19, 10:37 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
FTR Dura-Ace 7800 is 10spd.

This bike has 7700 Dura-Ace
Old 05-07-19, 11:02 AM
seajayseuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
FTR Dura-Ace 7800 is 10spd.

This bike has 7700 Dura-Ace
I was actually was wondering about that. When I was looking stuff up on the bike, I read about someone trying to configure the older 9 speed with 7800 parts and thought maybe that were the case. Now that it's come up again, probably not the case and just a mistake. I have almost no idea what im taking about here btw lmao
Old 05-07-19, 11:19 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by seajayseuff
I was actually was wondering about that. When I was looking stuff up on the bike, I read about someone trying to configure the older 9 speed with 7800 parts and thought maybe that were the case. Now that it's come up again, probably not the case and just a mistake. I have almost no idea what im taking about here btw lmao
IIRC, the 7700 and 7800 derailleurs were identical, but the shifters are definitely different. Your bike has 7700 shifters.

It's a nice bike, but selling prices are all over the place for older Titanium bikes. It's hard to find new hoods for the 9speed shifters, so many people might be turned off by those.
Old 05-07-19, 11:31 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
S thing is worth what someone will pay for it. Sorry, I know that sounds like a platitude. Like noodle says, prices are all over the board. And different bikes fetch different prices in different markets. Have you looked at your Craigslist?
Old 05-07-19, 12:21 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
This is a great frame (what year? - looks like a 2003 maybe), and the kit, while getting up there in years, is high quality. I think if you sold this to someone for $1500, they'd be getting a great deal. A few hundred more wouldn't be unreasonable, but I wouldn't sell for less than $1500.
Old 05-07-19, 03:12 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It also really depends on your market and the time of year you sell. I'd say in a large market in the spring, yeah, you could maybe get 1500. I'd say 1000-1200 is more likely.
Old 05-08-19, 01:17 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Great 🚲

$600/800 range more to older fellow with found memories of the bike.
new frame run $1300/2,000
Old 05-09-19, 12:25 PM
seajayseuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Certainly didnt anticipate the large degree of subjectivity. I figure that my best move would be to be alittle patient and see what kinds of offers come my way. Play the field and feel things out from there.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
S thing is worth what someone will pay for it. Sorry, I know that sounds like a platitude. Like noodle says, prices are all over the board. And different bikes fetch different prices in different markets. Have you looked at your Craigslist?
I did a nationwide craigslist search and found one other vortex that was listed for $800. With that said, I also saw afew vortex frames from the same year that sold on ebay at auction for that much. lmao. Not very much objective data out there.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-09-19, 01:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I'd say $700 or so and it will be to an old guy who remembers that they were special "back when." Nice bike but limited market.