Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Club blocking the MUP

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Club blocking the MUP

Old 06-18-19, 06:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
All the group rides i've been on avoid the MUP.

We don't belong there.
Anything over say 5 or 6 casual riders, and it's about as fun as passing a kidney stone.

Two people having a screaming argument is also a lot of fun to get stuck behind.
Old 06-18-19, 06:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Anything over say 5 or 6 casual riders, and it's about as fun as passing a kidney stone.

Two people having a screaming argument is also a lot of fun to get stuck behind.
Large groups are not fun. you're constantly waiting to regroup at lights and slower riders. 15 is my absolute limit but depending on the group, i'll drop off if its over 10.

----------------------------------------------------

Sunday my wife wanted to take my 2 year old grand daughter on a walk in the preserve. So there were 3 adults and a stroller walking on the MUP. I had to tell my wife and daughter a dozen times not to walk 3 across because they are not giving room for cyclists and runners to pass.

My own family was doing what I hate the most.

If you stop to talk, please step off the path.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-18-19, 07:18 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Path-a-letes, serious stuff there.......

-Bandera
Old 06-18-19, 07:25 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Reminds me of the time a big group of protestors was blocking the side walk and being idiots, and I had to jump off the curb onto 45 mph traffic to get around them.
Yeah, that is exactly the same kind of thing.
Old 06-18-19, 07:31 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
One reason why I avoid group rides. All it takes is one or 2 morons to put the entire group in a bad light.
Remember Critical Mass rides? That certainly endeared all non-cyclists to the "cycling community".

What we all need to remember is that "cyclists" are just PEOPLE. They are nothing special and certainly no better than any other road user as a whole. Cyclists cover every aspect of humanity just like motorists, concert goers, political parties, and any other group you can think of.

Being disappointed in those guys blocking the path shows that some of us have unfounded expectations for our "fellow" cyclists. Always remember...they are NOT like you just because their mode of transport, or their toys, are similar to yours.. Just look at this place and all of the differences between Bike Forum participants. The entire spectrum of personalities are represented.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-18-19, 07:41 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Being disappointed in those guys blocking the path shows that some of us have unfounded expectations for our "fellow" cyclists. Always remember...they are NOT like you just because their mode of transport, or their toys, are similar to yours.. Just look at this place and all of the differences between Bike Forum participants. The entire spectrum of personalities are represented.
Given that they'd be obviously quite annoyed themselves if they found someone else blocking their way, realizing the reverse hardly qualifies as an "unfounded expectation" - unless you have a very pessimistic view of humanity as an irredeemably selfish animal.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 06-18-19, 07:44 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Here is my take: every year our bike club takes on new members. We do our best to teach them how to behave properly while riding with others. One of the hardest things to teach them about is to get out of the way when the group has to stop for whatever reason. Since we usually ride on the road, I usually end up shouting "GET OFF THE ROAD". So, I am not at all surprised that a group of riders block a bike path, they simply have not been properly taught what to do

Last edited by alcjphil; 06-18-19 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-18-19, 07:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Sometimes I'll stop on a trail without paying attention to someone coming. But, I'm quick to make space if needed.

Use "Please and Thank You", and hopefully they'll treat you the same. Any cussing on either part is uncalled for.
Old 06-18-19, 08:31 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by baconshakes
by
"plenty of room off to the side".
I meant for standing off the paved trail. I learned last year that the grassy area off the pavement can and does hide hard deep ruts left over from utility trucks driving along when the adobe soil is soaked after a rainstorm. That clay is very soft when wet but hardens up when dry as I learned by riding off the pavement slowly to avoid a toddler who was, well, toddling. Down I went. That was last year, this year I wanted to avoid doing that again.
Old 06-18-19, 08:38 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I meant for standing off the paved trail. I learned last year that the grassy area off the pavement can and does hide hard deep ruts left over from utility trucks driving along when the adobe soil is soaked after a rainstorm. That clay is very soft when wet but hardens up when dry as I learned by riding off the pavement slowly to avoid a toddler who was, well, toddling. Down I went. That was last year, this year I wanted to avoid doing that again.
I've been a victim of ruts myself. Hard to avoid them when grass hides them from view.
Old 06-18-19, 08:40 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts
Further North on that very same MUP it can get pretty weird. Homeless camps etc. One day as I came along a pair of Meth heads were screaming at each other across the path. I ducked my head and went between them. It was an easy decision to make that ride a large loop instead of coming back the same way.
Old 06-18-19, 08:58 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Next, time, try to be nicer and diplomatic.
I love it when people who are wrong and disrespectful to others but want others to be nice to them. Never quite understood that form of logic. Nevertheless, in the big picture, diplomacy is sometimes the least offensive route. Although I wouldn't blame the person making the complaints.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 06-18-19, 09:45 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Whenever I come across one of these threads I'm reminded of two monks crossing a river.

Do whatever you feel you must in the moment but then let it go.
What is gained by carrying it all the way home, then here?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 06-19-19, 12:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Group cyclist behavior is usually a direct reflection of leadership. The groups I ride with, casual and faster, emphasize safety and mutual respect for other users of shared resources, including MUPs and roads. And group behavior reflects that leadership.

But even in these same groups I've noticed significantly different behaviors when the usual ride leaders are absent. You'd think there'd be some residual good behavior, but, nope. Groups of athletes fueled on hormones, dopamine and self importance will quickly devolve into Lord of the Flies misbehavior without firm leadership. Pretty much like any gang. And if the leader is already inclined to behave that way, the regular participants will too.
Old 06-19-19, 01:20 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Group cyclist behavior is usually a direct reflection of leadership. The groups I ride with, casual and faster, emphasize safety and mutual respect for other users of shared resources, including MUPs and roads. And group behavior reflects that leadership.

But even in these same groups I've noticed significantly different behaviors when the usual ride leaders are absent. You'd think there'd be some residual good behavior, but, nope. Groups of athletes fueled on hormones, dopamine and self importance will quickly devolve into Lord of the Flies misbehavior without firm leadership. Pretty much like any gang. And if the leader is already inclined to behave that way, the regular participants will too.
You have been involved in some sick group rides lol.
Not just any old misbehavior. Lord of the Flies misbehavior, which centers on rituals and murder.
Wow, your ride leaders have major responsibilities.
Old 06-19-19, 01:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You have been involved in some sick group rides lol.
Not just any old misbehavior. Lord of the Flies misbehavior, which centers on rituals and murder.
Wow, your ride leaders have major responsibilities.
Nope, I duck out of those group rides as soon as the problems appear. I don't wait for the really bad stuff. If I see too much half-wheeling, wheel overlapping, guys doing wheelies on every residential street speed hump, or darting into intersections without looking or calling back whether it's clear, I'm outta there, along with Ralph and Piggy.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-19-19, 03:16 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
absolutely! You can identify them by their jerseys with poseur pockets, tight shorts and "clod" shoes that cause them to walk like ducks. Probably some $10,000 bikes in the bunch, omg!!
tdf larp :d
Old 06-19-19, 03:23 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Pedal harder and loudly announce “coming through”
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 06-19-19, 05:26 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
This thread is why I usually ride bike paths with the Badger

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-19-19, 06:01 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Sounds like riding behind a tandem team having a bad day on the bike...

Hey, it happens.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 06-19-19, 06:02 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
When I do that, as soon as they figure out what is happening, they are apologetic, maybe even embarrassed.
Yes. All the groups I ride with occasionally block cyclists or cars when they stop, but it's not on purpose. As soon as one of the group calls out "let the car through" or "bikes back!" or "walkers up", they move out of the way.
Old 06-19-19, 06:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
About 45 minutes ago I was getting onto our local MUP from the park. As I approached I saw a big clot of cyclists, I guess a club ride, stopped on the MUP.... I couldn't actually ride onto the MUP and had to stop and push my bike around this mass. I made a comment about stop blocking the whole MUP....
And there you have it. By not stopping, making eye contact, greeting and then discussing the courtesy issue, the OP incited an anonymous reaction from somewhere within the group. By personalizing and engaging an individual who would speak for the group, you'd get a better, more cooperative response. It's unlikely that the group comprises all sociopaths. They're likely husbands, brothers, and sons to someone with whom they've been cooperative before.

Referees and law enforcement folks know this...
Old 06-19-19, 07:13 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
See the thread "Cyclists' safety ...on the road" in Advocacy & Safety.

Last edited by Daniel4; 06-19-19 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 07:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
When I do that, as soon as they figure out what is happening, they are apologetic, maybe even embarrassed.
yeah, nothing needs to be said
Old 06-19-19, 07:39 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Not only clubs do this, recreational cyclists just stop in the middle without pulling over and so do drivers.

How many times have I seen a car pull into a driveway of a parking lot and then just stop? How many times have I seen cars stop in the middle of a parking lot right on front of parking spaces? How many times have I seen cars parked with their harzard lights on at the no parking/ fire zone sign in front of a store blocking the path for all the other motorists when there are parking spaces feet away?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.