Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bjorn bikes at Jenson (stainless steel frames)

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-22-19, 04:42 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

They just started to bring these in and for the price they asking you are getting a very solid build with a stainless steel frame. Even the wheels are more than decent with DT Swiss C1800 Spline 23's. Cowchipper bars as well. I honestly would not change a thing from their build kit.

Max tire size is 700x45.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Bjorn-Recy...xclusive-Build

Old 09-22-19, 07:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
That's a sharp looking bike.

1x isn't what I would ever look for, but it is trendy, so I get why its spec'd.
Not a ton of stack height on the largest size.
And the HTA is super slack. Wonder what the trail is.
Old 09-22-19, 08:40 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
That is some bizarre geometry. $3200 for Rival hydro seems a bit much. But that geo.. I literally have no idea what size I'd be..
Old 09-22-19, 09:39 PM
gus6464

It's basic xc mtb geometry designed around a short stem. The bike will handle great off-road. Looks like around a 60-50mm stem give or take so take your normal reach number you like and add around 40mm and that's your size for this frame.
Old 09-22-19, 10:22 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Low end drivetrain and wheels at this price point is not very impressive. But hey, it does look cool.
Old 09-22-19, 10:25 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
That is some bizarre geometry. $3200 for Rival hydro seems a bit much. But that geo.. I literally have no idea what size I'd be..
this. You'd think GEO would be the first thing to look at, but apparently not on BF.
Old 09-22-19, 11:18 PM
gus6464

It's as if people in this forum have never seen or ridden a mountain bike. Didnt realize gravel bikes had to follow a set of rules just like road bikes.
Old 09-23-19, 04:43 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That's a sharp looking bike.

1x isn't what I would ever look for, but it is trendy, so I get why its spec'd.
I'm curious as well. I guess that 69 degree head tube angle is what makes the effective top tube longer than normal for each size than other compact frames. I wonder why the stand over is higher on the small than it is on the medium?
Old 09-23-19, 05:43 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
As someone who builds his own frames, I have the opportunity to build something, ride it and make adjustments on the next frame. My current frame has a 70.5 degree head tube angle with a long effective top tube and 50 mm stem. My next one will probably have a 69 degree head tube angle.

The long front center and slack head tube angle puts the front wheel ahead of your hands and greatly reduces the feeling that you're going to go over the bars when hitting obstacles or descending.

I'm glad some manufacturers are finally getting the hint that a gravel bike is not just a road bike that can fit wider tires. It really should be a rigid mountain bike that is designed for drop bars and a road crankset.

I'm not a fan of the 1x drivetrain or the aluminum fork on that bike, but I don't have any problem with the geometry of the frame.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-23-19, 08:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Metieval
this. You'd think GEO would be the first thing to look at, but apparently not on BF.
The first 3 posters in this thread are by people who looked at the geometry and have commented on it. And geometry of the bke is discussed in the first 6 of 7 posts in the thread.

What more are you expecting?
Old 09-23-19, 08:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Ok, I missed that this is an aluminum fork. Thats a curious choice as it bucks the carbon fork trend and...well thats just odd. Its really not on anything else I know of at or near this price point. Interesting, and at first thought that isnt in a good way.

As Spoon said - how is fork offset/rake not listed? At least tell us trail, even if the tire size isnt then listed as that will help narrow down the range. But really- why isnt fork offset listed? That is a critical measurement to understand how steering will most likely feel, and thats pretty personal to each rider.
HTA, STA, fork rake, chainstay length, stack, reach, BB drop, ETT. These 9 measurements should be listed for any bike being sold or even advertised on the internet. There is simply no good reason to not list them. And if standover as well as head tube length are listed, then super.
Old 09-23-19, 09:46 AM
shoota 

Are you implying I didn’t look at the geo? Because I did. I’m not a mtber so I had no idea I was supposed to add 40mm or whatever.
Old 09-23-19, 09:47 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by gus6464
It's as if people in this forum have never seen or ridden a mountain bike. Didnt realize gravel bikes had to follow a set of rules just like road bikes.
I promise you I had no idea I was supposed to be taking mountain bikes into the equation here. Absolutely no clue. I don’t do mtb bikes.
Old 09-23-19, 10:00 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Are you implying I didn’t look at the geo? Because I did. I’m not a mtber so I had no idea I was supposed to add 40mm or whatever.
no, I was referring to you being the first to mention Geo, with the first reply being "sharp looking bike"

because you know "Sharp looking bikes" are more important than Geometry, be it road, cyclocross, or MTB
Old 09-23-19, 10:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

no, I was referring to you being the first to mention Geo, with the first reply being "sharp looking bike"

because you know "Sharp looking bikes" are more important than Geometry, be it road, cyclocross, or MTB
Ha- apparently the comments below from that same post arent worth recognizing?

Old 09-23-19, 10:34 AM
shoota 

Ah, gotcha. My reading comprehension must be off today lol.
Old 09-23-19, 01:52 PM
gus6464

Gravel bikes need to employ a more modern cross country mtb geometry to be really capable offroad. Center of gravity is very important off-road so you don't go over your bars when hitting an unexpected rock or root or whatever on the trail. You want the bike to respond to a sudden change of direction quickly. Long stems with short reach do the opposite. At the end of the day I feel gravel should basically be cross country with a drop bar.

A good example of this is the evolution of cross country geometry as a whole. The norm used to be that cross country bikes were basically a road bike with flat bars. Because of this they handled like absolute crap on tech. Manufacturers started to employ a middle ground between your really slack enduro and steep road type geometry. Once that happened short travel bikes all of a sudden became incredibly capable and now you have 100-120mm travel mtbs that can pretty much handle anything you throw at them.
Old 09-23-19, 02:00 PM
gus6464

Ok, I missed that this is an aluminum fork. Thats a curious choice as it bucks the carbon fork trend and...well thats just odd. Its really not on anything else I know of at or near this price point. Interesting, and at first thought that isnt in a good way.

As Spoon said - how is fork offset/rake not listed? At least tell us trail, even if the tire size isnt then listed as that will help narrow down the range. But really- why isnt fork offset listed? That is a critical measurement to understand how steering will most likely feel, and thats pretty personal to each rider.
HTA, STA, fork rake, chainstay length, stack, reach, BB drop, ETT. These 9 measurements should be listed for any bike being sold or even advertised on the internet. There is simply no good reason to not list them. And if standover as well as head tube length are listed, then super.
Fork offsets are not important in mtb because manufacturers design the frame around a predetermined offset from the beginning. For example on a 29er mtb you have 2 offsets - 51mm and 44mm. You can ride a frame with a crazy offset fork and at the end of the day not even notice it because the geometry was designed around that offset. So you can have 2 frames with huge differing offsets feel exactly the same once you ride it. Shorter offsets were introduced in mtb anyway so the wheelbase can be shortened while still having a very long and slack frame.
Old 09-23-19, 05:29 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Gravel bikes need to employ a more modern cross country mtb geometry to be really capable offroad.
I don't frequently take my gravel bike offroad. Many roads are unpaved, and they're often chunky and rough, but they're roads.

You can ride a frame with a crazy offset fork and at the end of the day not even notice it because the geometry was designed around that offset.
The frame and fork may well be reasonable alongside each other, but I still want to see the specs for both so I know what sort of bicycle I'm buying.
Old 09-23-19, 06:03 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Ouch
Bloody nose 👃
The first 3 posters in this thread are by people who looked at the geometry and have commented on it. And geometry of the bke is discussed in the first 6 of 7 posts in the thread.

What more are you expecting?
Old 09-23-19, 06:06 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Recycling??

It is assumed that we give a hoot about recycled steel used in making the bike?
really!?
Old 09-23-19, 09:43 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
It is assumed that we give a hoot about recycled steel used in making the bike?
really!?
I think it is rather awesome actually....especially when you see the mountains of thrown away bikes in landfills. I've been wondering if/when someone would start doing it.

At work we had a demo project that involved getting rid of tens of tons of steel...part of the labor bill was paid for simply by recycling all the steel. About half was painted, the other half was plain torch-cut.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-24-19, 03:37 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Gravel bikes need to employ a more modern cross country mtb geometry to be really capable offroad.
I think the term "gravel" is so loose and the category so wide that I this statement is generalising too much what and where people ride their gravel bikes. The category really is massive it covers poorly paved roads all the way to single track and everything inbetween. Some gravel bikes are going to be better at the smooth stuff while others will be "really capable offroad." That is one thing that makes gravel so fun, everyone brings a little something different with their equipment choices. Show up to a gravel ride and you might see everything from road bikes with 28s to hardtails.
Old 09-25-19, 10:06 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That is funny - everyone has a different defintion of "gravel bike"
Some want a drop bar mountain bike (long, low, slack)
Some want an agile fat tired road bike (shorter wheelbase steep head tube, higher BB)

Bottom line - its hard to figure this bike out without specs like Stem length (seriously, what size would I order)?
Fork offset would help determine what the bike's abilities are on the agile vs stable spectrum - although that head angle and wheelbase certainly point it towards the XC MTB range.
Old 09-25-19, 11:50 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
The problem with defining "gravel bike," is that there's such a range of gravel and such a range of bikes, and such a range of companies with different visions for their products. Most of my gravel roads are hardpacked and at least 1.5 car-wide, and most of my routes are a mix of pavement, pathways, dirt roads and an occasional section of easy singletrack, so my gravel bike is essentially a comfortable road bike that will fit wide tires. Someone that rides steep, rough and rutted fireroads, lots of two track and trails, sandy, rocky stuff that would destroy my bike in short order-their gravel bike is going to be much closer to a mountain bike than a road bike. Then you need to factor in the source of the bike-if a company has a background in trail-oriented bikes, their gravel bike is likely going to be closer to a mountain bike. A roadier company will produce something more like mine, a road bike tweaked slightly for comfort and stability, with clearance for bigger tires. The term "gravel bike," is a marketing label anyway-I'm glad it has broadened the appeal and availability of the sort of bikes and gear that I've preferred for years, but it's a single term that covers a lot of territory.