Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Butterfly / Trekking bars on my commuter / everything bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 07:23 PM
spindlehead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello Bike Forums- This is my first post. I thought I'd share a mod I did this weekend because I couldn't find an example here or elsewhere where someone did it quite the same way.

My 2007 Redline Conquest Pro cyclocross (CX) bike has been an admirable performer for the last 12 years. I use it for commuting, fitness and recreation, and it does great on the roads and occasional hard packed grave, dirt or chip trails. The only substantial mods to date have been a Brooks saddle Kevlar armored 32C tires, and the usual commuting accessories (lighting, lock, bike computer, seat bag with spare tube, CO2 inflators, etc). After 12 years, I find that I use the drop position on the handlebars almost never. I was curious about these butterfly / trekking bars that you see occasionally on touring set-ups, and I was wondering if there was a configuration that would allow me to use the stock Ultegra integrated brakes / shifters and the bar top "interupter" brakes.

Well, I decided to order a $15 bar from Amazon and go for it! Below are the results. The integrated brake/shifters and in the forward position and the secondary brake levers are in the aft position. In the forward hand position, my body lean is approximately the same as riding on the hoods on my drop bars. The brakes have lots of great leverage and operating the gear shifters is smooth and intuitive. In the aft position my back is practically strait -- almost no weight on my hands. In-between there are numerous other ways to grab the bars including a nifty tuck posture that allows me to rest my forearms on the aft part of the bar why my hands can still reach the forward brakes and shifter. It took a lot of staring and pondering, but the execution was easy. The only substantial change to the bikes other equipment was that I had to replace the brake cables and fit a longer cable housings between the main brakes and the secondary brakes.

Alas, I cannot post images until I have made 10 posts... Adding photos:

Cyclon raider....

Last edited by spindlehead; 09-29-19 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Adding photos now that I have 10 posts
Likes For spindlehead:
Old 09-22-19, 08:24 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Hope you get your ten posts soon. Looking forward to seeing the setup....
Old 09-22-19, 09:05 PM
spindlehead

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 308jerry
Hope you get your ten posts soon. Looking forward to seeing the setup....
Inching closer
Old 09-29-19, 01:55 PM
spindlehead

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Added photos to my original post above.
Old 09-29-19, 10:04 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Now there's something you don't see everyday. Thanks for posting.

How long/many miles have you been running it like this? Are you satisfied?
Old 09-30-19, 12:52 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Did it take very long to get the hang of shifting at that angle? You said intuitive, but the finger movement is different isn't it?

Beautiful bike, really well put together. I love the combination of interrupter brakes and trekking bars, that's a new one to me.

Last edited by rseeker; 09-30-19 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 07:32 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Nice setup.
Old 09-30-19, 08:59 PM
spindlehead

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Now there's something you don't see everyday. Thanks for posting.

How long/many miles have you been running it like this? Are you satisfied?
Originally Posted by rseeker
Did it take very long to get the hang of shifting at that angle? You said intuitive, but the finger movement is different isn't it?

Beautiful bike, really well put together. I love the combination of interrupter brakes and trekking bars, that's a new one to me.
Originally Posted by 308jerry
Nice setup.
Thanks for the interest!

@AlmostTrick: I haven't ridden more than 30 min at a time so far. I had to travel last week and had other chores this weekend, but so far so good. I will update after a more substantial ride. Got summoned to jury duty tomorrow...

@rseeker: Thank you very much! The shifting is pretty much like shifting from down in the drops, just with everything rotated 90 degrees. It is totally natural.
Old 09-30-19, 10:07 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
As I got older I appreciated the fact I could spread my fingers out instead of grabbing the bar. I'm a a believer...