Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie road-bike tricks that anyone can learn

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 10:27 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

The tricks in the video below can be learned by anyone within a few hours or days. The girl in the video is doing a sport called artistic cycling. Her bike is almost the same as most fixie bikes with the exception of the road bars and pegs.

I find novice videos can be great for learning the basics that help to build a good foundation. Another bonus is that you can do these tricks anywhere there is flat ground—even on the ride to show off a little!

I'll be getting my first fixie in about a week and wanted to share some of the tricks I'll be learning.
Old 09-24-19, 03:12 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
look ma no hands
Old 09-24-19, 05:17 PM
bedtime

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
look ma no hands
Not sure if you were mocking the difficulty level—I purposely chose a video with easier tricks—but, if you want something more challenging, I can post it.

Today I learned to ride and steer with my feet.
Old 09-24-19, 06:08 PM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I ride flatland bmx; I can tell you that some acts are quite easy to learn given that you already have a bit of balancing ability. Through my experience, being able to ride backwards while sitting on the handlebar is a fastlane ticket to some tricks, so does being able to perform the trackstand on a fixie or doing a fakie.

But there are other simple things which may take longer painful journey. If you overcome the painful ones, other good things will come to you quite swiftly. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself or you'll get frustated. And allow yourself good recovery times between injuries. Yes, you'll get those as you're doing all sorts of movements that your body's not used to. Anyhow the reward is priceless.
Old 09-25-19, 11:42 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by acir71
I ride flatland bmx; I can tell you that some acts are quite easy to learn given that you already have a bit of balancing ability. Through my experience, being able to ride backwards while sitting on the handlebar is a fastlane ticket to some tricks, so does being able to perform the trackstand on a fixie or doing a fakie.
I'm going to leave the trackstand for indoors when it gets too cold to ride outside. As to the fakie, I have yet to see much improvement at all, though I really haven't put much time into it. Maybe I can ride backwards 5' at most. Learning to fakie would be the single most helpful trick to build a foundation which leads to other tricks.

But there are other simple things which may take longer painful journey. If you overcome the painful ones, other good things will come to you quite swiftly. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself or you'll get frustated. And allow yourself good recovery times between injuries. Yes, you'll get those as you're doing all sorts of movements that your body's not used to. Anyhow the reward is priceless.
I've been taking my time and having fun. I took about a month, almost exclusively, to learn to handlebar ride and then to learn with no hands while negotiating people and objects and going up shallow ramps.

Like you said, it is extremely rewarding.
Old 09-25-19, 01:56 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/fixed-gear-freestyle/
Old 09-25-19, 02:03 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
When I see people (typically teenager) doing this stuff as they ride towards me on the MUP, I yell. I YELL! I YEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!!!
Old 09-26-19, 08:56 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by ljsense
When I see people (typically teenager) doing this stuff as they ride towards me on the MUP, I yell. I YELL! I YEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!!!
I do my tricks at the skate park or in a wide open area when nobody is around.
Old 09-26-19, 10:12 AM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
I do my tricks at the skate park or in a wide open area when nobody is around.
I like what you're doing -- keep it up. That was just a dumb joke about another thread on this forum: someone got bent out of shape because he saw someone riding without the hands on the bars on a bike path.
Old 09-26-19, 10:18 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by ljsense
I like what you're doing -- keep it up. That was just a dumb joke about another thread on this forum: someone got bent out of shape because he saw someone riding without the hands on the bars on a bike path.
Your post actually reminded me of that post, lol.

Anyways, thanks for the support.
Old 09-27-19, 06:06 AM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If I may suggest, you might want to consider a bit of a protection 'down' there, via a nut protector commonly used by hockey goalies. We have the tendency to hit that part against the tt, stem etc.. Believe me I learnt the hard way!
Likes For acir71: