Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Miyata 610

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 02:54 PM
Tranquility

Bikes: Miyata Six-Ten (Men's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata 610

Hi Everyone,
Will some of you please recommend the most important tools I will need to buy to restore and maintain my Miyata 610?
I'd left it with someone for a couple of years Portland, OR and they took HORRIBLE care of it.
I need to restore my poor baby to health!

I live in Toronto, Canada now and I'm thinking of taking it to the Canadian version of REI (which is MEC) to have them do a basic tune-up to replace cables etc to get me started. I haven't taken her for a ride yet but I'm sure I'll need to learn how to true the wheels. Then over the winter I may have to do some major repairs/replace some major components such as my crankset, rear cassette, chain and derailleurs.

Thank you in Advance for you advice.
Old 09-26-19, 07:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
A good repair manual is the best/first tool for home repairs.

For a working bike a floor pump is a good first tool and on road flat repair stuff a close second.

Some non specific stores that sell bikes have motivated mechanics with good skills and a manager who supports the bike department tool needs. Some less so... An experienced rider can recognize the signs of the few poor "shops". Others tend to be impressed easily and miss the signs of a low budget place (and by low budget I mean a store that doesn't support/pay/equip their mechanics with the tools/inventory or training customers deserve).
The small handful of US REIs I've visited do middle of the road work at best. Generally there's one or two wrenches that know more then the basics and the other workers less so. Although this applies to shops that focus on only bikes (what most will call a LBS) too. The thing with stores that sell a range of outdoor products is the support management decides on. Which department makes the store more profit? That one typically gets the best support. The departments that are a smaller piece of their profit pie get less investment.

Toronto has some pretty good LBSs. I would suggest checking a few out. Andy
Old 09-26-19, 09:58 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Tranquility
Hi Everyone,
Will some of you please recommend the most important tools I will need to buy to restore and maintain my Miyata 610?
I'd left it with someone for a couple of years Portland, OR and they took HORRIBLE care of it.
I need to restore my poor baby to health!

I live in Toronto, Canada now and I'm thinking of taking it to the Canadian version of REI (which is MEC) to have them do a basic tune-up to replace cables etc to get me started. I haven't taken her for a ride yet but I'm sure I'll need to learn how to true the wheels. Then over the winter I may have to do some major repairs/replace some major components such as my crankset, rear cassette, chain and derailleurs.

Thank you in Advance for you advice.
Do you drive? I'm not all that far from Toronto and I had a fellow a few years ago come up from Longbranch in the west side of Toronto and we overhauled his Steve Bauer bike to almost new condition. If you think you might like to do that let me know here and I'll send you an email and we can work out a day and time.

Cheers
Old 09-27-19, 04:22 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Tranquility

I still run my 1986 Miyata 610 as a daily commuter, for over 10 years now. I think many of us understand your passion for your bike.

You have landed in the right place.

There are some articulate pro-mechanics who frequent this forum, there knowledge has guided me many times.
Old 09-27-19, 07:26 PM
Tranquility

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI Andy,
I have a great pump! Thank you. And I just unpacked a set of Park Tool DCW cone wreches that I bought last summer in anticipation of receiving my Miyata 610. I bought the Double ended bicycle cone wrnh set 13 mm, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. So that's probably a nice start for my tool kit.
I'm sure some of my top priorities will be:
Cleaning and greasing my hubs and install new ball bearings,
Replacing the chain,
Replacing the seat post because it's rusted through. I guess my relative left it out in the rain out in Portland, and
Replacing all the cables.

I agree with you that it's all about profit. I realize MEC is not a bike store per so I agree that it's not the best option. I'm trying to balance cost and service. Can you pleas recommend a few good shops here in Toronto?

Thank you in advance.

Miyata Woman!
Old 09-27-19, 07:28 PM
Tranquility

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi There Miele Man,
Thanks for reaching out.
I don't have a car but I could take the GO Train easily enough.
Or I could rent a car.
Please shoot me an email so we can discuss the possibility of meeting up.

Many thanks,
Miyata Woman!
Old 09-27-19, 07:32 PM
Tranquility

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Zebede/Miyata Man!
What's the best section of the Forum to connect with them?
Anyone in particular you recommend?

Yes, I remember paying something incredible like $2000 for this baby about 35 years ago! I love the way she flexes when I ride over pot holes or more notably streetcar tracks here in Toronto. She's very smooth. She used to glide like an Olympic horse tackling mini jumps but sadly she's been neglected and now needs a bit of work. That's ok none of the damage is permanent. Besides, I've aged too ;-)

I'm keen to get back in the saddle again.

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-27-19, 07:37 PM
Tranquility

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sure dates me!
And check out that price sticker. I think that book store (The World's Biggest Bookstore) died about 2 decades ago. It's probably been replaced like everything else here in Toronto by a condo!
Is this still a good book? Other s

This is what I bought about and still have from about 25 years ago. It's still pretty good but maybe I can get something better at the library. Any suggestions? I will need lots of pix and LOTS of descriptive instructions. Thank you.
suggestions?
Old 09-29-19, 04:48 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
This is the best forum for getting guidance for repairs. You will find the most through response are to the postings with clear questions, good quality photos and the use of proper part names (if known).
Old 09-29-19, 10:46 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
You've already received good advice but I can't resist adding my 2 cents. Here's my list:
1. Floor pump
2. Tire levers
3. Tube repair kit/patches
4. Cone wrenches - which you have.
5. Chain breaker tool - avoid the cheap ones.
6. Allen wrenches - They don't need to be bike specific (although the Parks are really nice). I got mine at a big box store.
7. Cable cutter - I bought one at the local big box store that is not bike specific but has served me well. Don't go cheap on Ebay/amazon. I tried that and it just wouldn't give a nice cable end.
8. Bottom bracket tools - specific to the bottom bracket you will use. Are you keeping the loose ball cone/cup or will you upgrade to sealed? Or will a new crankset require external bearings? If you are going to throw away the old cone/cup you can get it off with a big adjustable wrench, big flat screw driver and hammer.
9. You can "get by" working on a threaded headset without bike specific tools until you have to replace cups and races.
10. Spoke wrench - get a good one; its worth it.
11. You can do a lot of truing with the wheel in the bike or in an old fork. There are threads in this forum that describe it. Most use zip ties as gauges.
12. Freewheel/cassette removal tools - these tend to be fairly specific so identify what you have. I usually convert to a cassette wheel so I don't need the freewheel removal tool.
13. Chain whip - for cassette removal primarily. I don't have a very good one but it works. I used to get by with an old chain and a vice grip plier (laughter to follow I'm sure).
14. Internet access to www.sheldonbrown.com, parktool.com, this forum and YouTube.

With the above and a few other non specific tools (screw drivers, pliers, adjustable wrenches, etc.) you should be able to fully repair/restore your Miyata. Be careful. It can be addictive.`

A few years ago I bought a bicycle tool kit at Aldi for less than $20. It contained much of the above. It is not the best quality and not all of the tools have held up well but I am impressed by what I could do with it.

If I didn't live in a rural area I would also check out bike coops as an alternative to some of the above tools.

Last edited by mitchmellow62; 09-29-19 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 07:32 PM
mitchmellow62

OOPS!! I forgot a crank arm puller. Good luck!
Old 09-29-19, 09:10 PM
Tranquility

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Hearty Thank you!

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
You've already received good advice but I can't resist adding my 2 cents. Here's my list:
1. Floor pump
2. Tire levers
3. Tube repair kit/patches
4. Cone wrenches - which you have.
5. Chain breaker tool - avoid the cheap ones.
6. Allen wrenches - They don't need to be bike specific (although the Parks are really nice). I got mine at a big box store.
7. Cable cutter - I bought one at the local big box store that is not bike specific but has served me well. Don't go cheap on Ebay/amazon. I tried that and it just wouldn't give a nice cable end.
8. Bottom bracket tools - specific to the bottom bracket you will use. Are you keeping the loose ball cone/cup or will you upgrade to sealed? Or will a new crankset require external bearings? If you are going to throw away the old cone/cup you can get it off with a big adjustable wrench, big flat screw driver and hammer.
9. You can "get by" working on a threaded headset without bike specific tools until you have to replace cups and races.
10. Spoke wrench - get a good one; its worth it.
11. You can do a lot of truing with the wheel in the bike or in an old fork. There are threads in this forum that describe it. Most use zip ties as gauges.
12. Freewheel/cassette removal tools - these tend to be fairly specific so identify what you have. I usually convert to a cassette wheel so I don't need the freewheel removal tool.
13. Chain whip - for cassette removal primarily. I don't have a very good one but it works. I used to get by with an old chain and a vice grip plier (laughter to follow I'm sure).
14. Internet access to www.sheldonbrown.com, parktool.com, this forum and YouTube.

With the above and a few other non specific tools (screw drivers, pliers, adjustable wrenches, etc.) you should be able to fully repair/restore your Miyata. Be careful. It can be addictive.`

A few years ago I bought a bicycle tool kit at Aldi for less than $20. It contained much of the above. It is not the best quality and not all of the tools have held up well but I am impressed by what I could do with it.

If I didn't live in a rural area I would also check out bike coops as an alternative to some of the above tools.
Dear MitchMellow62,
Great thesis! Thank you very much.
I've printed this out and put a copy on my fridge.
I will now strategize on which tools to buy and which to leave to the pros.
I really like your idea of a tool coop. They had such things in Portland, OR.
I find the hours of the places you can go do your own repairs have extremely limited hours.
I haven't seen many good reviews since the on site mechanics are volunteers.
I will begin strategizing tomorrow.

What's the best place on this forum to get advice on specific bike parts?

Thanks again for your great advice!

Sincerely,
Lady Miyata / Tranquility
Old 10-04-19, 07:17 AM
mitchmellow62

Tranquility - You can search this forum and the Classic and Vintage forum for advice and information on specific bike parts. The Sheldon Brown website is also a treasure trove of info; both general and specific. Good luck!
Old 10-04-19, 08:19 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Tranquility
Replacing the seat post because it's rusted through. I guess my relative left it out in the rain out in Portland.....
Hmmmm, if the seat post is really "rusted through" (is it steel or aluminum?) you probably should have the entire frame checked for internal rust damage before doing much additional work.
Old 10-04-19, 12:57 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I haven't been in years but Bike Pirates in Toronto might be one place to look into using. There are a few other bike co-ops in Toronto, dunno where to find the most up-to-date list but I would look at using their specialized tools before investing in a lot of tools you won't use too much. I have the MEC tool kit and it took me years of fixing my own bikes to use all those tools.