Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

(Cheap) Heart Rate Monitors

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 05:33 AM
scotty_

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I've been looking to get a heart rate monitor for ages but I just can't work out a number of things.

Something that does everything is ideal. That will be some Polar S5billion costing about that much plus the cost of having my current computer which my parents (I'm 16) paid $85.00 (of the Aussie variety) rendered useless.

So before spending almost as much money on a HRM as my bike I've decided I should buy an el-Cheapo HRM to use until I can afford to throw money at Polar. Is this wise?

Also, I've noticed that some HRMs don't display intesity as a % of Max. How important is this feature? I've been reading up on using heart rate monitors and I figure using my LTHR (Lactate Threashold Heart Rate) would be the number I'd want to work off. If I had a HRM that didn't display this would it be a hassle to constantly be calculating numbers in your head?

So I need to find something cheap that will work and last. I've been looking on eBay and found G-Pulse HRMs going for about $30 (AUD) and they look like something that fits the description. Does anybody know of any better deals or similar HRMs that would suit better?

Thank you.
Old 11-16-05, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It's hard to say what you can buy in Australia. By the time you pay taxes and import fees, it's expensive.

See if you can find an online store where you can buy it instead. Then have your parents get you a nice one for christmas.

If you know your heart rate ranges, you really don't need all the bells and whistles if you really can't afford it. I would just recommend a heart rate monitor that gave a summary at the end of your ride instead.

Koffee

Old 11-16-05, 07:42 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm putting together an order of HRMs for my Spinning students. I have a friend that can get the SigmaSport PC15 for $50 US if we buy 5 or more at a time. Check out their website at www.sigmasport.com
Old 11-16-05, 08:22 AM
karlfitt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
I'm putting together an order of HRMs for my Spinning students. I have a friend that can get the SigmaSport PC15 for $50 US if we buy 5 or more at a time. Check out their website at www.sigmasport.com

Right now Performance has the sigma PC14 for $50.00, no group purchase needed. It is in their catallog, I am not sure their on line price. I know in the store though, you pay whichever price is cheapest (if you tell them) store, catalog, or on line.

This won't help you, but in my local store they also have a Timex HRM on clearance for $30.00.
Old 11-16-05, 01:03 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I have a Sigma Sport that works fine. As for % of maximum, I don't think its very helpful. Once you learn your HR at LT that will dictate your workouts. You only need to figure your target HR for various workouts once, and then you'll know them. It's not like you have to do math in your head every time you ride.
For me, all I need from the HRM is my HR, max HR for the workout, and average HR.
Old 11-16-05, 04:02 PM
scotty_

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
It's hard to say what you can buy in Australia. By the time you pay taxes and import fees, it's expensive.
Do you know what kind of charges there would be if I bought it from an online store in the US or eBay? Or what about if it was a person (like demoncyclist) just mailing it over, do you have to pay taxes on that?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-16-05, 05:08 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Get a HRM with a HR display and a programmable training zone. The training zone featire will measure how much time you spend within the zone and have some kind of alarm (e.g., flashing display) when your HR goes above or below the zone. You can find several models like this in the lower price ranges.
Old 11-16-05, 05:40 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I saw a HRM monitor at Target for $10. I have no idea how good it is. I had one I paid $20 for, but I took it back as there was no way to turn the heart monitor alarm off and I got tired of listening to it during high intensity work outs. I don't need much... all those training tips and zones are pretty useless, I simply need something that allows me to keep track of my heart rate. Other people may have uses for all those features, but I don't.

I found another similar priced cheapo that allows the alarm to be turned off. It's an Oregon Scientific. It even came with a rubber spacer to mount the watch/monitor to the handlebars of the bike!

Az
Old 11-17-05, 08:59 AM
quitchat

Bikes: Merida Road904

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
I have a friend that can get the SigmaSport PC15 for $50 US if we buy 5 or more at a time. Check out their website at www.sigmasport.com
Sigma PC15 for US$50 sounds like a decent price.
I'm currently using a PC14 and it works fine.
Nashbar is selling PC14 for US$40 but I'm not sure how much the shipment will be.
Old 11-17-05, 01:43 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a bottom of the line Polar. All it does is give HR, nothing else. It cost me about $40US. I think that you can calculate % intensity in your head or do it before hand so that you know that X HR = Y % intensity.
Old 11-17-05, 01:47 PM
60cycle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i also have the cheap-o polar. it's lasted through much abuse...