Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

3 month update.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 11:34 AM
Coopers_Dad
Trying not to fall off.

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 month update.

I don't post all that much because work has been busy, I moved into a new house and I've been spending as much time as possible on my bike.

There have been some ups and downs in the past three months some product failures and some blindingly good rides.

So the 3 month update.
1878KM on my Trek Madone
-18lbs to 261 ( It would be more but I've got way more muscle on my frame.)
+ 140lbs on my squats
+90lbs on my BP
+39 on my average watts now 231
+6KPH on my average speed.
+18 on my average heart rate now 146
+ 9 on my max heart rate now 178.

My Madone has worked well for me although I'm starting to run into some issues with failures. I've replaced 6 spokes on the rear wheel and 1 on the front this most recent failure has lead me to replace the rim and hub on the rear. I'm onto my 2nd chain and 2nd set of rear pads.

Overall I'm super happy with the results and physical changes.

Safe and happy riding everyone!
Old 07-20-10, 11:41 AM
thebeatcatcher
my legs are carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome progress! Keep it up!

Mind if I ask what type of wheels you are riding? (type/make of rim, spoke count, man vs. machine built)
Old 07-21-10, 07:12 AM
Coopers_Dad
Trying not to fall off.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to build a bomb proof rear within a budget so we went with Mavic Open Pro's 36's 14 DB spokes Ultegra hub. They were hand built by my LBS.

Originally Posted by thebeatcatcher
Awesome progress! Keep it up!

Mind if I ask what type of wheels you are riding? (type/make of rim, spoke count, man vs. machine built)
Old 07-21-10, 11:04 AM
thebeatcatcher
my legs are carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like with those components you shouldn't be breaking that many spokes, especially in 3mo.
Old 07-21-10, 11:28 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Just as a thought, if you're breaking spokes that is an indicator that all is not well with your wheel (duh, right?) By that I mean replacing a spoke means it wasn't tensioned properly in the first place and simply replacing a spoke isn't really fixing the underlying problem.

Or... maybe you're just really hard on wheels, but it sounds like they weren't built properly. (they also need to have the tension checked periodically, which you can guestimate by pinging the spokes witn your fingernails... they should all sound about the same tone on one side of the rear wheel.)
Old 07-21-10, 04:38 PM
Coopers_Dad
Trying not to fall off.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood your question. What I listed was the replacement my original was the Trek factory Bontrager Race.

Originally Posted by thebeatcatcher
It seems like with those components you shouldn't be breaking that many spokes, especially in 3mo.
Old 07-21-10, 04:41 PM
Coopers_Dad
Trying not to fall off.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Just as a thought, if you're breaking spokes that is an indicator that all is not well with your wheel (duh, right?) By that I mean replacing a spoke means it wasn't tensioned properly in the first place and simply replacing a spoke isn't really fixing the underlying problem.

Or... maybe you're just really hard on wheels, but it sounds like they weren't built properly. (they also need to have the tension checked periodically, which you can guestimate by pinging the spokes witn your fingernails... they should all sound about the same tone on one side of the rear wheel.)
Your correct about being hard on the wheels I'm still a big Clyde and I like to go pretty fast over some really crappy roads so I put my wheels though a lot. My LBS commented on how crappy the wheels were the first time I brought my Trek in for a fitting. The original LBS where I purchased the bike who I no longer have a civil relationship with just kept replacing them since it was covered under the Trek Warranty. What was strange is that they never broke at the wheel or hub they broke about 2" up from the hub which lead me to believe that they were defective. Either way they are on the way to the recycling station by now so I'll see who my new wheels work.