Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shmano Craziness and recall

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-01-12, 11:16 AM
scooterfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK I was looking at upgrading my crank on my 95 gt (its 18 years old) and noticed on sheldon browns site that eh altus c90 cranks are "recalled"
I was looking for information about chain line etc.

so I called Shimano America and asked them about it. they said yes its true and they will replace the cranks, front mech and chain with brand new altus stuff and labor to remove and replace free at a shimano dealer, then gave me a list of local dealers
So I called a local shop and they said Yup bring it by.
than later I just put new/ different cranks on later if I want. but either way I get a new chain and bb and

What I can't do is get a credit for the stuff and use it to buy better stuff, but I bet I can get him to put a differnt fron mech that I bought on.
Old 11-01-12, 11:29 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scooterfrog
What I can't do is get a credit for the stuff and use it to buy better stuff, but I bet I can get him to put a differnt fron mech that I bought on.
I followed what you were saying... up until here.
Old 11-01-12, 11:32 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh
I followed what you were saying... up until here.
I think he's trying to say he wants credit towards upgrades, not recall replacement parts.
Old 11-01-12, 11:52 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
but I bet I can get him to put a differnt fron mech that I bought on.
That's the part that confuses me.
Old 11-01-12, 12:52 PM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh ...
I just bought a deore front mech (I hate typing derailleur) on ebay. so why have him put the altus on just to take it off and so I put the deore on and readjust the upper and lower limits.
Old 11-01-12, 12:57 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
oh ...
I just bought a deore front mech (I hate typing derailleur) on ebay. so why have him put the altus on just to take it off and so I put the deore on and readjust the upper and lower limits.
I don't think it's general etiquette, but I just americanize chop up derailleur into derailer.
Old 11-01-12, 01:25 PM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
FD works for me....I can SPELL that one right! ;-)
Old 11-01-12, 08:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
noticed on sheldon browns site that eh altus c90 cranks are "recalled"
Linky linky?

Are these cranks clearly labeled "Altus C90" or is it one of those deals where you have to look at special manufacturer stamps and look up a code in a table on a secret website or something?
Old 11-01-12, 10:18 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 3,381 Times in 2,046 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Linky linky?

Are these cranks clearly labeled "Altus C90" or is it one of those deals where you have to look at special manufacturer stamps and look up a code in a table on a secret website or something?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=shimano+c90+recall
Old 11-02-12, 07:27 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Linky linky?

no secret code, just a call to shimano America. I googled shimano customer service.

Phone

Shimano American Corp.
(949) 951-5003

here is the link on the sheldon brown site that got me thinking.
https://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html. looks like the 1995 'A' named mtb bike cranks are bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ct90.jpg (99.5 KB, 262 views)
Old 11-02-12, 07:41 AM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
oh ...
Why not use FD (like eveyone else) instead? Just asking!
Old 11-02-12, 09:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Hah, lmgtfy.com, nice snarky linkage (maybe they should call it rtfm.com (nope, it's taken)). Note OP says he read it on SB, SB did not appear on that google search, and nothing turned up when I googled site:sheldonbrown.com altus c90 recall, hence my question.
Old 11-02-12, 09:33 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If you want to upgrade cranks, the shop might give you some kind of credit for the new, warranty replacement Altus crankset, but it would probably only be at their cost, around $15 or so.
Old 11-02-12, 10:27 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Why not use FD (like eveyone else) instead? Just asking!
I like the sound of "Mech" but D is easier to type.
Old 11-02-12, 10:31 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If you want to upgrade cranks, the shop might give you some kind of credit for the new, warranty replacement Altus crankset, but it would probably only be at their cost, around $15 or so.
the shop on teh phone was like "you want to what" "return something you didnt pay for?" You want credit towards something else." I thnk my best bet may be to either just use them or try to sell them on ebay maybe with the brand new FD that I wont be using. I may call another shop and see if they can work with me.
Old 11-02-12, 10:52 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
the shop on teh phone was like "you want to what" "return something you didnt pay for?" You want credit towards something else." I thnk my best bet may be to either just use them or try to sell them on ebay maybe with the brand new FD that I wont be using. I may call another shop and see if they can work with me.
If you're paying MSRP for a crank upgrade from the same shop, they might play ball with you; same if you brought in the replacement warranty crank and the upgrade you prefer and suggest trading the brand new Altus crank for installation. Not a normal course of business, but if you have a shop you frequent all the time, something they might do for you. Otherwise, you're at their mercy and shop policies -- no obligation on their end to work a deal with you. Definitely worth some phone calls, but I wouldn't be surprised if you don't feel the love with cold calls like this...
Old 11-02-12, 11:03 AM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
you should try to sweet talk them into something better bc that current altus crank looks like a cheap turd, imo.
Old 11-03-12, 08:42 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
you should try to sweet talk them into something better bc that current altus crank looks like a cheap turd, imo.
It it's but it's a new turd. I am going to see what I can do at a smaller shop. One of the main reasons for a upgrade was to get 175 instead of 170 if I can do that altars floor free I'll be happy enough. It's still vex St that they will replace 18 year old parts.

Anybody know what's wrong with them. Why they were recalled?
Old 11-03-12, 08:27 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would actually side with the shop on this one.
Crediting the new cranks back to the shop so you can buy other stuff would not be in the spirit of the recall.

Consider:
Shimano is providing the LBS for a specific crank (and reimbursing the labor hopefully) to replace a broken Shimano item; note that this is not the fault of the LBS yet they are probably taking a loss in terms of work time that could be spent on profitable repairs.
Also, the replacement item comes from Shimano; not LBS inventory, it is of no use to them in terms of resell value. You're asking them to sit on dead inventory, as well as be dishonest to Shimano regarding use of the replacement parts.

If you don't want the free cranks and labor; then don't waste the LBS' time and money. You were planning on tossing the old cranks and upgrading anyway right?-as in you were going to give your LBS some real work.
How about you do that as originally planned, and not try to take advantage of them by manipulating the intent of that recall.

Last edited by xenologer; 11-03-12 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-04-12, 05:45 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
scooterfrog, Recalls are legal items and as such have no leeway as far as the manufacturer that initiated the recall is concerned. You maybe able to have 175 mm crankarms on the new crankset rather than 170 mm crankarms.

Brad
Old 11-04-12, 10:15 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
I would actually side with the shop on this one.
Crediting the new cranks back to the shop so you can buy other stuff would not be in the spirit of the recall.

Consider:
Shimano is providing the LBS for a specific crank (and reimbursing the labor hopefully) to replace a broken Shimano item; note that this is not the fault of the LBS yet they are probably taking a loss in terms of work time that could be spent on profitable repairs.
Also, the replacement item comes from Shimano; not LBS inventory, it is of no use to them in terms of resell value. You're asking them to sit on dead inventory, as well as be dishonest to Shimano regarding use of the replacement parts.

If you don't want the free cranks and labor; then don't waste the LBS' time and money. You were planning on tossing the old cranks and upgrading anyway right?-as in you were going to give your LBS some real work.
How about you do that as originally planned, and not try to take advantage of them by manipulating the intent of that recall.

I don't intend to hurt the shop in any way. And don't want their labor at all.
My best reasonable case. I remove the parts and do on over the counter swap for the parts. I then find an ethical easy to get full retail ball value for said brand new bb crank fd and chain.
Second same as above but I get less than full value. Maybe eBay or an in stock return to the shop for credit.

Then Buy what I want

Third. To just use new parts. If I can get the longer crank that's not a bad deal.

But I am losing out in this off I don't accept something for the cranks. I can't trust them even to use on a beater bike. I can't sell them becaues I know about the recall. That would be very unethical. I was never going to throw out the old ones.

Last edited by scooterfrog; 11-04-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-04-12, 06:36 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just pull the cranks off yourself, exchange them and sell the replacements on ebay. If you're lucky you might get the box.
Old 11-04-12, 11:03 PM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
I believe the OP was referring to this recall from July of 1997. Here’s the link…
https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml97/97149.html

The 1995 Giant Rincon I inherited still had its original FC-M290 42/34/24 170mm crankset (one of the recalled cranksets), but my LBS said it was too long ago and Shimano wouldn’t do anything about it.

Since I wanted different chainrings anyway (48/36/26), I opted for the cranket that I preferred (at my own expense), which has been far better gearing though I still wish it had the 24 tooth granny gear for my most menacing climbs. I could easily change the 26 tooth to a 24, but I’m managing with the 26 tooth.
Thanks for the link.
I'll talk to another shop and do what makes sense. Thanks all for the help
Old 11-05-12, 12:02 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Found this...

"Shimano is voluntarily recalling the following bicycle cranks due to a potential safety problem, where the crank could break causing loss of control of the bicycle. These cranks bear the model number

FC-CT90, FC-M290, or FC-MC12"

https://www.rideyourbike.com/recalls.shtml

If this thing was like 10 years ago, shimano still have to swap the partS??? asking because I might have a bike with those cranks.
Old 11-05-12, 05:52 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ultraman6970, You need to contact Shimano. Some recalls, primarily safety related, are open ended.

Brad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.