Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Trek 2016 RAGBRAI group?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 12:05 PM
IceNine
El Duderino

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone might be joining me on a Vintage Trek Group for RAGBRAI next year? I'm just about done getting my 1983 Trek 620 ready to ride, and I think this would be about the perfect kind of riding for that bike. Anyone else have any interest?
Old 08-24-15, 01:58 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Vintage steel is great for a long ride like RAGBRAI, because you want a comfortable bike.

However, you'll see every kind of bike on that ride, including:
*modern road racers
*time trial aero bikes
*inter-war single speed cruisers (seriously)
*vintage racers
*fat bikes
*mountain bikes
*hybrids
*total POS's
*loaded tourers
*tandems (and triples, and more)
*trikes
*a big wheel
*unicycles

There are usually plenty of vintage Treks on RAGBRAI. Tons of 520's of all ages. A good handful of early-production bikes (pre model number on the frame), often piloted by folks who bought them new and have been riding them since. And plenty of '80s models in various states.

I have a team of three on vintage and vintage-inspired lugged steel bikes: my Rivendell, my girlfriend's Soma San Marcos, and her dad's 80s Raleigh Marathon. We rode the whole thing last year, but got kinda burned out by fighting the crowds. This year we sortied from home (Cedar Rapids) and did four days, more independently.

My impression of RAGBRAI riders on vintage bikes: they are usually doing their own thing, just like they have been for the last 30 years. Not sure if they'd like to hitch up with someone else's wagon.

In fact, it's hard to find compatible folks to hitch up with. Everyone is different (some moreso than others).

But if you'd like some company, you can join our little group, or at least wave and say hi. Plans for next year depend upon the routing; we may do a sortie from home again, if the route comes close to us.

Have you ridden RAGBRAI before? If so, what did you like and dislike?
What kind of pace do you ride? We ride about medium pace; faster than the slow pokes but we get passed by the pacelines.
When do you like to start in the morning? Many folks leave around dawn, but my girlfriend is a bear in the morning so we get a later start.
Do you drink alcohol? A lot, or a little? We look for good, local beer, and taste one or two by the end of the ride. We'll have another one or two with and/or after dinner, and then it's bed time. Many folks party late and loud, while others don't drink at all.
Do you ride self-supported? If not, would you use the official luggage service, or need a support crew (team or independent car)?
Do you like music on the ride? Some riders blast classic rock or country loudly. Ugh, turn it down. We play afrobeat and funk, at reasonable volumes.
Do you ride pavement only? We like to get off the main route sometimes, including gravel.
Old 08-24-15, 02:55 PM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've went the full distance on two Ragbrais ('89 and '91.) The oddest thing by far that I ever saw was in '91 when I overtook a guy on a pennyfarthing.... on the century loop! I was on my '87 elance 400T which was only 4 years old at the time, now it's a ripe old age of 28.
Old 08-24-15, 03:27 PM
IceNine
El Duderino

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
Vintage steel is great for a long ride like RAGBRAI, because you want a comfortable bike.

However, you'll see every kind of bike on that ride, including:
*modern road racers
*time trial aero bikes
*inter-war single speed cruisers (seriously)
*vintage racers
*fat bikes
*mountain bikes
*hybrids
*total POS's
*loaded tourers
*tandems (and triples, and more)
*trikes
*a big wheel
*unicycles

There are usually plenty of vintage Treks on RAGBRAI. Tons of 520's of all ages. A good handful of early-production bikes (pre model number on the frame), often piloted by folks who bought them new and have been riding them since. And plenty of '80s models in various states.

I have a team of three on vintage and vintage-inspired lugged steel bikes: my Rivendell, my girlfriend's Soma San Marcos, and her dad's 80s Raleigh Marathon. We rode the whole thing last year, but got kinda burned out by fighting the crowds. This year we sortied from home (Cedar Rapids) and did four days, more independently.

My impression of RAGBRAI riders on vintage bikes: they are usually doing their own thing, just like they have been for the last 30 years. Not sure if they'd like to hitch up with someone else's wagon.

In fact, it's hard to find compatible folks to hitch up with. Everyone is different (some moreso than others).

But if you'd like some company, you can join our little group, or at least wave and say hi. Plans for next year depend upon the routing; we may do a sortie from home again, if the route comes close to us.

Have you ridden RAGBRAI before? If so, what did you like and dislike?
What kind of pace do you ride? We ride about medium pace; faster than the slow pokes but we get passed by the pacelines.
When do you like to start in the morning? Many folks leave around dawn, but my girlfriend is a bear in the morning so we get a later start.
Do you drink alcohol? A lot, or a little? We look for good, local beer, and taste one or two by the end of the ride. We'll have another one or two with and/or after dinner, and then it's bed time. Many folks party late and loud, while others don't drink at all.
Do you ride self-supported? If not, would you use the official luggage service, or need a support crew (team or independent car)?
Do you like music on the ride? Some riders blast classic rock or country loudly. Ugh, turn it down. We play afrobeat and funk, at reasonable volumes.
Do you ride pavement only? We like to get off the main route sometimes, including gravel.
I've never done ragbrai. I would describe my pace as medium. I'd prefer to start early and get to bed early. I don't drink much--maybe one or two micro-brews per month. I'd probably have one or two on this ride and then pass out, perhaps with ear plugs if necessary. I have done self-supported tours, and have an ultralight gear kit and '84 Raleigh Portage 650B set up for self supported touring/commuting. However, I think I'd prefer to have someone else tote my gear on this ride, so I'd probably prefer to sign up for the official luggage service. I wouldn't enjoy loud music of any type while riding and would think that would be a safety issue. I'm more of a jazz and classical guy, but can enjoy other types as well.
Old 08-24-15, 03:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
In fact, it's hard to find compatible folks to hitch up with.
Everyone is different (some more so than others).
I was thinking the same thing, only different.
Old 08-24-15, 06:42 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
We've had groups travel up from B'ham, but I've yet to latch on. Maybe next year I'll go & bring my 83 Trek 600 that's 620'ized.

And I can drink beer.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 08-25-15, 07:19 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IceNine
I've never done ragbrai. I would describe my pace as medium.
RAGBRAI is a circus. ~20,000 riders, of all kinds. 90-year olds riding at <10mph, and pacelines crushing at >20 mph. Lots of people treat it as a week-long bender.

I'd prefer to start early and get to bed early. I don't drink much--maybe one or two micro-brews per month. I'd probably have one or two on this ride and then pass out, perhaps with ear plugs if necessary.
Ear plugs are definitely recommended. Otherwise, you may be kept awake by the loud drunk people. They'll be up all night slamming the porta-potty doors.

I have done self-supported tours, and have an ultralight gear kit and '84 Raleigh Portage 650B set up for self supported touring/commuting. However, I think I'd prefer to have someone else tote my gear on this ride, so I'd probably prefer to sign up for the official luggage service.
The luggage service is handy, and included in the ticket ($150/week or $25/day). They take your bag to the next night's camping spot. However, you may be camping with 4,000 others in the middle of a HS football field. Or you could end up in a lovely city park.
Lots of folks get up before dawn to avoid the heat, and to get to the next town early and snag the best camping spots.

I wouldn't enjoy loud music of any type while riding and would think that would be a safety issue. I'm more of a jazz and classical guy, but can enjoy other types as well.
Unfortunately, lots of folks think it's cool to bring along a boombox (often on a trailer behind a tandem), and play the worst music at the loudest volume. "It's a PARTAAAY!" Ugh. Lots of other people have small speakers and play music for themselves, but those considerate folks get drowned out by Journey at 120dB.

RAGBRAI is a great ride because you get to see so much of the state and meet all kinds of people.
But, sometimes the parts of the state you see are obscured by porta-potties (called "kybo's" on RAGBRAI) and drunks in spandex. That's why I like to get away from the crowds a bit, sometimes by riding gravel roads instead of the main highway.

It's fun to have a group of like-minded folks to ride and stay with. It's also fun to just do your own thing and meet new people.
Old 08-25-15, 10:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've never done Ragbrai even though I live in IA. There's just something about 10,000 plus people on the road that doesn't do it for me. Still a vintage group ride would be fun. I might hop in for a day or so if this catches on. I'll probably even have my 1983 Trek 720 ready by then or my '84 610 . . . .
Old 08-25-15, 10:41 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Unfortunately, lots of folks think it's cool to bring along a boombox (often on a trailer behind a tandem), and play the worst music at the loudest volume. "It's a PARTAAAY!" Ugh. Lots of other people have small speakers and play music for themselves, but those considerate folks get drowned out by Journey at 120dB.
Ugh is right. If I never hear Pour Some Sugar on Me ever again I will die a happy man.