Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Minnesota-Wisconsin Bike about

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 09:24 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I have a niece getting married in Madison WI if I can get it by the missy I might do a bit of touring. Don't know the area at all so I just picked a random route to get me to Canada and then down to Madison. Looking for some insight from folks in the area.

This will be solo in early august. Will have camping gear but not adverse to a hotel now and again. Would like to find campgrounds with showers if possible.

So I am looking for advice on the route nothing is set in stone and what to expect weather wise that time of year or any other sage advice

Duluth-Ely
Ely-Fort Frances
Fort Frances-Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids-Onamia
Onamia-Turtle Lake
Turtle Lake-Green Bay
Green Bay-Waterford
Waterford-Madison

map link
https://goo.gl/maps/nBWvSJwGNW42
Old 04-29-16, 11:41 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
There is the Mississippi River Trail that runs from the Bemidji, MN area to the Iowa border with an option to ride the Wisconsin side. You could ride it and cut over through SW Wisconsin. I recently bought a great guide book on the trail that gives very specific details about the entire trail from the headwaters to the gulf.

Mississippi River Trail / MnDOT.gov
https://www.trempealeau.net/wp-conten...icycle_Map.pdf
Old 05-04-16, 04:43 PM
Madtown Bob
FOG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never traveled Wisconsin the way that you intend to and can’t offer any personal advice but I hope the following suggestions might help:

1[SUP]st[/SUP]: The bicycle maps offered by Wisconsin Department of Transportation can be very useful.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/travel/bike/bike-maps/default.aspx

2[SUP]nd[/SUP]: A map of Wisconsin trails

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/findapark.html

3[SUP]rd[/SUP]:Here’s a map of someone taking a different route from Duluth to Madison that you might find interesting.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=tS&page_id=432768&v=3n

Old 05-05-16, 06:43 PM
IceNine
El Duderino

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfhaven
There is the Mississippi River Trail that runs from the Bemidji, MN area to the Iowa border with an option to ride the Wisconsin side. You could ride it and cut over through SW Wisconsin. I recently bought a great guide book on the trail that gives very specific details about the entire trail from the headwaters to the gulf.

Mississippi River Trail / MnDOT.gov
https://www.trempealeau.net/wp-conten...icycle_Map.pdf
I did a short tour in 2012 from Chippewa Falls, WI down to Madison. That was a fun trip, esp. the River Road along the Mississippi. There's a bike path that starts in Chippewa Falls or Eau Claire (can't remember), and gets you down to Durand. From there it isn't far to the River Road. I made my way down to the river road and followed that to LaCrosse, and then took the rails-to-trials from LaCrosse to Reedsburg, and then made my way down to Madison from there. The trails are hard-packed limestone, which cause a lot more wear on tires than pavement, but otherwise is a pleasant way to go.

That route gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of where to stay. Any State Park in WI allows you to pitch a tent if you arrive under your own power (biking or hiking) even if they are at full capacity. I had one day where powerful wind and storms cut my ride short and I happened to be at one of the state parks that I hadn't planned to hit, but they let me pitch my tent down by the Mississippi River, despite it being a holiday weekend. Also, there are quite a few places to stay on the trail about every 10 miles or so.

My daughter attended Minnesota - Duluth recently, so I drove back and forth many times to go see her. From Duluth down to Eau Claire, there are nice shoulders on Hwy 53, and I think you could ride safely, and wild camp just about anywhere. Alternatively, you could take 53 South from Duluth, then break off at Spooner, take 63 down to Red Wing, and then River Road it from there.

Last edited by IceNine; 05-05-16 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 07:12 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
My home base is around the Milwaukee area..a few comments. From SW Milwaukee, you're taking Forest Home Ave (HY24) southwest and picking up the Seven Waters trail that runs along HY 36 (Loomis Road) down to Waterford. I've been on the Seven Waters Trail many times (just a couple weeks ago so far this year). It's a good trail..one of my favs for early in the season as it's much warmer out there (I live close to Lake Michigan..10-12 degrees colder early in the spring than inland). The "plus" of riding the 7 Waters is offset by a longer stretch on Hy 83 to get you up the Glacial Drumlin out of Wales. Hy 83 is a main country-highway through this area. It wouldn't be my first choice for riding. I honestly can't remember how much room there is for riding..when I drive it, I've never considered riding on it. I know it isn't an unusually wide highway where there's lots of room.

If it were me..I'd skip the Seven Waters route down to Waterford and find my way straight west from Hy 24 to this lat/lon.. 43.003358, -88.247039
It's the trailhead for the Glacial Drumlin in Waukesha. You could also cut off the HY 24 route and cut over to the New Berlin Trail. You can pick up the NBT in Greenfield Park here: 43.010337, -88.064569 Since you're coming from the northeast and the Interurban Trail into Milwaukee..I'd consider picking up the Hank Aaron Trail out of downtown Milw and taking it out to Greenfield Park to pick up the NBT. This is a link of the Hank Aaron Trail:
https://www.hankaaronstatetrail.org/p...p-brochure.pdf

Between the Interurban & the Hank Aaron is sections of the Oak Leaf Trail & parkways through NE Milwaukee (nice ride here).

I haven't ridden the Hank Aaron..but assume(?) is all paved. The NBT is paved. The Glacial Drumlin between Waukesha & Dousman is paved. West of Dousman the GDT is crushed limestone. You'll be riding by a number of bike shops (Patio Bike Shop on Hy 24, The Bike Doctor in Dousman, there's others).

If you have additional questions..feel free to ask. If you need a contact in the area..glad to help.

Nice route mapping and a heck of a ride! Beyond my abilities..next year I'll be closer.. If you'd like a map of the proposed route I've mentioned here..let me know I can work something up and send you a link.
Old 05-06-16, 08:20 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
This would be a potential pathway:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13552194

If you want a *.GPX track I can send it to you.
Old 05-12-16, 11:46 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
great advice guys I am tweaking the trip now and might ride the Mississippi from Memphis to Red Wing then to Madison.

based on Wolfhaven recommending the river gave me pause. I like the idea of riding upriver to different climate zones.

Have a map going will camp along the way I am solo so I can change gears or plans as I choose.

will average about 100 miles a day

what is the weather like late July Early August

Plan on landing leaving Memphis on the 28th or 27th and landing in Madison on the 9th of august

any advice is more than welcome
Old 05-14-16, 09:44 AM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe cut over to Stevens point then down through the Dells and Baraboo.

Weather can be hit or miss. Skeeters might get you.