Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone up for a whole lot of pain in SW Wisconsin in August?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone up for a whole lot of pain in SW Wisconsin in August?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 07:20 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Just thinking out loud...

Campy's new RD (potenza) has the same shift ratio as the other campy stuff and allows use of a 32 cog (med cage). That puts a 34 ring down to 28 gear inches, and a 39 down to a workable 32 inches. Sounds like a relatively inexpensive hill set-up to use an ultegra 11 sp cassette (on more widely available shimano free hubs) and the potenza RD.

As for "classes" at the show. How about a retro roadie category? We could put them on one of the stands together so we don't stink up the rest of the show for the actual vintage stuff.
Old 08-21-16, 07:32 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
I see what you did there.

Old 08-21-16, 07:55 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
With next year's goal in mind, 100 bikes and 50 C&V folks, a discussion of some issues is not a bad idea.

4-Providing our labor, much as this year, but pre-planned, to the event, in exchange for entries. We'd have to make sure it's an equal distribution among us, and an equitable trade-off for Russ. What it would basically mean, at this point, is providing Friday labor and then Saturday cleanup, devoting part of one or the other, in exchange for the responsibility and effort. I feel like I didn't do enough or as much for Russ as you other folks did, and I want to avoid that on both sides: more from me and less from you, but in exchange with Russ on a fair basis.
Hopefully I can fit this into my schedule next year, wouldn't ride, but have some experience with trailers full of beer from running the beer tent at our church festival and am not afraid of labor and have a couple vintage, albeit pedestrian level, bikes.
Attached Images
Old 08-21-16, 09:45 AM
IceNine
El Duderino

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't ride on Saturdays because I have a bakery/cafe in Madison, and we are all hands on deck with the farmers markets. However, if you wanted to do a light C&V ride around one of the lakes or hit up a few of the most iconic spots here on the Friday afternoon before the DD, finishing with a round or two down at the union terrace, I would gladly join you with my 83 Trek 620, and I would think you could pick up some classic steel bike riders in Madison.
Old 08-21-16, 09:59 AM
iab

One more of the group

Vintage Class 37 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 08-21-16, 10:03 AM
iab

Originally Posted by dedhed
Hopefully I can fit this into my schedule next year, wouldn't ride, but have some experience with trailers full of beer from running the beer tent at our church festival and am not afraid of labor and have a couple vintage, albeit pedestrian level, bikes.
Of course you are most welcome, riding or no riding. But the 50k is a fun little route.

And there is no such thing as "pedestrian" level with our group. We all lower the bar too much.
Old 08-21-16, 10:04 AM
iab

Originally Posted by IceNine
I can't ride on Saturdays because I have a bakery/cafe in Madison, and we are all hands on deck with the farmers markets. However, if you wanted to do a light C&V ride around one of the lakes or hit up a few of the most iconic spots here on the Friday afternoon before the DD, finishing with a round or two down at the union terrace, I would gladly join you with my 83 Trek 620, and I would think you could pick up some classic steel bike riders in Madison.
Would you consider joining us for dinner Friday evening?
Old 08-21-16, 10:49 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Neat to see the enthusiasm already setting in for next year. (Robbies frat house idea

I kind of take any of these rides while on vintage as another element to the challenge. The terrain and scenery is excellent for cycling. I may seem to be grunting but I'm actually smiling. Though not as much interested in the timing but more of the gratifying feeling completing on an older era ride. The other part is riding with and watching others on such beautiful classic's. No matter the distance one rides, its all how one challenges themselves. Training? Nothing to add but its probably good... ha.

Minor observation and thoughts~
Will say it lacked last year's DD pomp and Giro festive atmosphere both at the start and finish. But this year and official merging of a vintage class, being smack middle of the activity and excellent shelter it was near perfect. Hoping for a repeat.

The DD non-official excellent food stops of last year were missing too. No conclusion why but missed the Boy Scouts and farmer's serving fresh hot roasted turkey, roast beef, potatoes, mounds of fancy pasta even jerky venison. This brings me to the DD promoters post ride food menu, witnessed unsanitary to the worst degree + handling / serving. No further comment.
It might not be possible for longer route finishers and getting in on time, but wouldn't mind kicking in for a post ride feast. Exclusive for the vintage riders, something more substantial. Perhaps a steak and potato fry. (BTW: The steak at Brewery Creek hit the spot

As mentioned earlier, the goodie bag from iab was outstanding. I don't know if he'll top it and to think he did this for zero entrance fee is something we should consider in compensating for future events. Especially if there's an increase in attendance.

So with that, I could see the DD entrance fee for Vintage class lopped off and go without having their timing chips, cutsie swag socks, anodized threadless stem caps. Of course there needs to be a an associated cost to cover the many details, food, supported medical, etc. but think it was too pricey, lacking in some areas and unnecessary swag.

Anyways, the VC is something new for the Dairyland Dare and win-win for all. I've encouraged others to give it a try and a few did take the challenge. David's poster is really cool and attention grabbing. Only wish to have something like this far earlier and display at some of the shops I frequent. Brought my spare poster into a friends shop where he immediately displayed it, also indicating entering next year.

In summary, having this exclusive group demonstrates a tougher element of the Dare and really rewarding. Regardless of riding the DD or not, I know there's many others in that Wis. region into vintage lightweights. I highly encourage to join the party and even if perhaps for a pre or post ride.
Old 08-21-16, 12:14 PM
IceNine
El Duderino

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Would you consider joining us for dinner Friday evening?
Absolutely. Where will you be?
Old 08-21-16, 01:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I see what you did there.

Me, too. I've already decided to get racks in "4's" so we can separate by classes, if not for awards, at least to avoid confusion. Italian area, Japanese area, French area, RetroRoadie area, C&V carbon, perhaps a Keeper of the Flame for the modern Steel Be Real, etc.

Also looking into nylon partitioning to enhance the space, some banner holders, etc.
Old 08-21-16, 01:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I can probably get in a lot of pain here in Oregon, bike/no bike...
Old 08-21-16, 02:37 PM
Chrome Molly

A Retro Roadie category will ensure Will's DeRosa gets one of the awards (Ever so nice DeRosa frame with Campy 11, HED Belgiums, right details, owner with big knowledge base on C&V = big win).

My impression of the food and stops was that the loss of Lands End as the event location took many of the volunteers with it. I think it will take some time to build up a base of locals that know the new drill, and I wish him luck with it. Only nit on the stops was having the quarters of PB&J sandwiches pre made would be better than having me slop the stuff on bread with my sweaty gloved hands.

My collection of goofy socks is already pretty big. Though, the ride fees aren't that steep if you sign up early, and the food to me seemed mainly off on the timing (100 pizza's showing up at one time vs 10 every 30 minutes). Sanitary, etc at these events is something that I give "county fair" standards to, and knock back any bugs with alcohol. There was plenty of beer this time around .

I think the ride may get a little smaller before it gets bigger, but with the logistics playing out a little, that may be just fine. Happy that we get to have our little part of it.
Old 08-21-16, 03:33 PM
iab

It would be a shame if the dare deteriorated further.
Old 08-21-16, 03:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

'Twould. I figger we'll do our part and see what we can bring to it. Doling out the rest stops is a decent idea (they were fund-raisers for each team), but they basically got paid the same whether they did it right or not. Perhaps a rating system for each stop that can determine their payout?

People clamored for timing, which raises the insurance rates significantly, and of the 800 involved, perhaps 20 really cared. The money spent on timing, which is significant, drained from the band, swag, etc. We'll be talking about this in September with the event. Our feedback has some cred, because we walk the walk.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-21-16 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 07:27 PM
Chrome Molly

The timing seems irrelevant and really only served limited purpose in the WTC (just to prove you went over the mat for each distance). Order of finish and elapsed time per distance ridden were really the main things that you rate yourself to other riders by.

Maybe they can simply pull playing cards (or some other sort of quick pick up from the bike itself if they want to avoid the stops) from the far point of each loop and then compete for overall time per distance. The ride could then draw prizes for matching cards or hands of a poker run for anyone that does the 250-300K. That is a popular way the gravel rides are run and it's also a way to spread around the door prizes (of smaller value with the ride promoted on them).

As far as I know, poker runs aren't illegal in Wisconsin for other things on two wheels...
Old 08-21-16, 10:24 PM
Sprocket Turner

Bikes: '73 Mondia Special, '73 Frejus TDF, '84 Gitane Rallye Tandem, '85 Trek (Custom) 660, 85/86 Gitane Professional, and a few more!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
With next year's goal in mind, 100 bikes and 50 C&V folks, a discussion of some issues is not a bad idea.

4-Providing our labor, much as this year, but pre-planned, to the event, in exchange for entries. We'd have to make sure it's an equal distribution among us, and an equitable trade-off for Russ. What it would basically mean, at this point, is providing Friday labor and then Saturday cleanup, devoting part of one or the other, in exchange for the responsibility and effort. I feel like I didn't do enough or as much for Russ as you other folks did, and I want to avoid that on both sides: more from me and less from you, but in exchange with Russ on a fair basis.

I'm confident that all of us would agree that you, and iab, put a lot into this event and I want to publically thank both of you. When we were asked to load the rest stop trucks there was not a moment of hesitation by any one of us. I believe it was George, Crank_addict, Idmataya and myself that were loading the rest stop trucks and moving beer. Chrome Molly, Barrettscv, and Pete's Brother Brian went on the beer run. I know that there were others who also contributed their time and effort for the better good for all of us.

The camaraderie of the people - the C&V group is what made this ride special for me. I can always find hills to climb, I can always ride smarter, I can always ride faster (well...in my mind anyway) but I can't go for a ride everyday with the good people of the C&V group.

That was yours and iab's gift to us. So saying "more from me and less from you" is an unfair statement.

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-22-16 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 11:41 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Actually riding and loosing weight seems to be the single best thing a person can do to be prepared for the Dare. Its really all about the rider and not much about the bike as far as I can tell. Not saying that taking 10 pounds off my bike would not hurt but I'd be better off taking 10 pounds off me. I got passed a lot, but the ones that really passed me at speed weighed a good 30 pounds less and were about 30 years younger. FWIW though, according to Christopher McDougall (author of 'Born To Run') our ability to run at age 64 should be the same as age 18 if we've kept in shape. I think that should translate directly into bicycles. In my case I can't think of a time that I went 100km on a bicycle any time before I was 59 years old. So it might be that I am in better shape now than 18 but I doubt it- I weigh more and for some reason I feel like I rode faster 40 years ago.

Don't avoid hills like I used to do. Cherish them.

I have 18 gear inches in low and that seems like its really too low. As Robbie can attest, its not much faster than walking

I'm really thinking about riding an early 70's Schwinn Sports Tourer next year. Its stock gears are pretty low...
Old 08-22-16, 06:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Great insights, all. I like the part about running at 64 vs. 18. My old Asics teammates would run out of things to throw at him....but 2-3 of them are still cranking mid 17:00 5K's in their mid-late 50's, so go figure. They often challenge me to go after some age group records, but the prospect of 70-80 miles a week running is not something I envision for more than enough time to open another beer.

Condition-wise, I was fine. My HR monitor is hard set by Mrs. T at 230, and early on, it was quite often pegging that. Once I got really warmed up, it never fired off, but the cramps set in. Fatigue is not a factor, but anyone can tell you that cramps are a symptom of fatigue. Doc is the savvy one, riding 20 years younger like it happens every day.

I've outlined my plan for next year, and have begun to move in that direction. working on a trainer acquisition and setup, and getting my 40+ lb new old bike ready for some serious 25-55 mile rides to get my body in grind mode. I may be on a modern bike, but it will be steel. I just haven't decided yet.

Next month, I'll be communicating with the event director, and bringing some ideas up soon enough to be told to "work on it and get back to me." That is kind of the key.

Looking for some contacts in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, and Michigan for C&V enthusiasts with bikes to show or who know people who do. Also Indiana. One of the ways to expand is to look first within a day's drive. We'll start there.
Old 08-22-16, 06:44 PM
iab

Well if the dare starts an unacceptable descent, I would suggest Bike the Barns. By far, the best food, ever. Basically you tour CSA farms and eat their food. Had a BLT one year where the pig was slaughtered a day or two before. That bacon was like butta.

No tri-guy-hammerhead types. Much more of a hippy crowd.

The downside is it would be only a single day event and it is after school starts, second week of September.

Event Information ? FairShare CSA Coalition
Old 11-07-16, 06:13 AM
Chrome Molly

Looks like there are some new companion events loosely making a Gran Fondo series. Lacks the common sign up and most importantly series scoring the old WTC had. Though the Baraboo ride might be very scenic and the LaCrosse ride a tester.

https://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b89d6be0fcf002692f5f8af9a&id=4f55a04bfa&e=5a53fa6923
Old 11-07-16, 08:15 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Well if the dare starts an unacceptable descent, I would suggest Bike the Barns. By far, the best food, ever. Basically you tour CSA farms and eat their food. Had a BLT one year where the pig was slaughtered a day or two before. That bacon was like butta.

No tri-guy-hammerhead types. Much more of a hippy crowd.

The downside is it would be only a single day event and it is after school starts, second week of September.

Event Information ? FairShare CSA Coalition
Bike the Barns is a great ride.

If September doesn't work they do have a June version called "Bike the Barns Driftless". As you might imagine it is a lot of climbing (similar to the Dare) and draws a slightly smaller crowd than the September version. Food and weather is almost always phenomenal.

I've done both Bike the Barns rides each year for the past 3 or 4 years and my bike shop started doing the mechanic tent this past year. It's my favorite event of the year.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 11-07-16 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 11:07 AM
hodgykins 

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Rainbow" Paramount, 1991 Waterford Paramount, 1993 Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Looks like there are some new companion events loosely making a Gran Fondo series. Lacks the common sign up and most importantly series scoring the old WTC had. Though the Baraboo ride might be very scenic and the LaCrosse ride a tester.

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
I signed up for all. Note the first 2 are capped at 500.
Old 11-19-16, 01:24 PM
Chrome Molly

Originally Posted by hodgykins
I signed up for all. Note the first 2 are capped at 500.
I'm probably going to do two of the three. The June ride is the same weekend as the Minnesota MS 150 that a bunch of friends and coworkers do.
Old 11-19-16, 04:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
I'm probably going to do two of the three. The June ride is the same weekend as the Minnesota MS 150 that a bunch of friends and coworkers do.
So, are you riding today?
Had to ask.
Old 11-19-16, 04:35 PM
Chrome Molly

So, are you riding today?
Had to ask.
Rode for an hour today

Inside

Plan to ride outside on Monday when the wind dies down a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.