Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar bag question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Handlebar bag question

Old 09-28-16, 02:17 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Handlebar bag question

I am considering a new handlebar bag to replace my Topeak tourguide bag. The tourguide bag is a decent functional bag but I am looking for an upgrade. I am leaning toward the Arkel bag in the small size. It gets outstanding reviews, especially with the aluminum attachment system it employs but it is $140 to $150. A bag I have noticed that appears comparable but much cheaper is the Lone Peak Alta. I know of no bike local bike store where I can actually look at the actual bags and I have not seen any direct comparison between the Arkel and the Lone Peak bag. Anyone familiar with both bags that can provide a comparison??? Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-16, 02:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Both are sewn together so Not waterproof.. their mounts are unique to the brand..

Jandd uses another bar Mount, of their own.. I see Other peoples gear as this is a Tourist town

Klick Fix mounts are used by other bag makers so have some cross over ..

In addition to their own , Carradice and Berthoud , also use this .

I Myself modified a Bag I found , and used waterbottle handlebar mounts and Long Bolts and spacers .

To make it solid on the bars (the valuables went on my Body within a Moneybelt.)

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-28-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-28-16, 03:58 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I had the same Topeak bag. No comparison between it and the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 that I have now, which is far superior.
Old 09-28-16, 07:53 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
I am not happy with my Arkel handlebar bag.
It is just a giant bucket without any pockets or dividers.
Arkel panniers have zillions of little pockets -
but not the handlebar bag - where you really need them.
Old 09-28-16, 08:10 PM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ortlieb Ultimate 6 large and a medium is what I have, much prefer the large over my medium bag. The large has a decent divider system and 2 small, zippered outer pockets. it's a pretty sweet bag.
Old 09-28-16, 09:04 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
Our family uses the Ortlieb Ultimate 6s and I use a Classic5. The medium sized bags seem to be a good fit on all our bikes. The Orlieb bar bags are really waterproof.

Ortlieb bar bags and 5 sets of our Ortlieb panniers are represented in this picture. Yes, we do like Ortlieb products a lot

Last edited by Doug64; 09-28-16 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-28-16, 10:01 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered and received my new Arkel small sized handlebar bag. It appears to be very well built, has a water resistant outer construction, and very importantly has a "waterproof" inner liner that is also removable for whatever reason you may have to. Some people use the space between the layers to store some small items separately from the main area. There's also a good sized pocket on the front where additional items can be stored, but it's only water resistant, it does not have the waterproof liner of the main compartment. However, if desired, a waterproof rain-cover is also offered as an accessory purchase, which will prevent rain from being able to soak items placed in the outside pocket.

To me this is the best overall designed handlebar bag available, and I'm glad I bought it. I'll be installing it in the next few days. I also purchased an additional mounting kit to fit to one of my other bikes so I can use the bag on whichever one I happen to be using at the time.
Old 09-28-16, 11:31 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
I am not happy with my Arkel handlebar bag.
It is just a giant bucket without any pockets or dividers.
Arkel panniers have zillions of little pockets -
but not the handlebar bag - where you really need them.
camera shop sells camera gear bags with velcro dividers.
you can often find extra/unneeded/throwaway velcro dividers
in the "grababunchforabuck" bin.

either your hbar bag has cloth-ish insides the velcro will stick
to, or you superglue some velcro strips where you want the dividers.
Old 09-29-16, 04:33 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for replies. Can anyone tell me about the lone peak bag which looks great in photos? Is the quality close to Arkel?

I knew I'd hear a lot about ortlieb. I have ortlieb panniers and like them well but I have decided against their h'bar bag for several reasons one of which is it does not include a map case. What is that all about?
Old 09-29-16, 04:42 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
I just ordered and received my new Arkel small sized handlebar bag. It appears to be very well built, has a water resistant outer construction, and very importantly has a "waterproof" inner liner that is also removable for whatever reason you may have to. Some people use the space between the layers to store some small items separately from the main area. There's also a good sized pocket on the front where additional items can be stored, but it's only water resistant, it does not have the waterproof liner of the main compartment. However, if desired, a waterproof rain-cover is also offered as an accessory purchase, which will prevent rain from being able to soak items placed in the outside pocket.

To me this is the best overall designed handlebar bag available, and I'm glad I bought it. I'll be installing it in the next few days. I also purchased an additional mounting kit to fit to one of my other bikes so I can use the bag on whichever one I happen to be using at the time.

Great! Glad you're happy with your bag. My only hesitancy is the price. I think i purchased my rear ortlieb panniers for less than arkel wants for this h'bar bag. Hence my question about the Lone Peak bag which frankly looks like very nice quality for much less $$$.
Old 09-29-16, 06:26 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
I bought and returned an Arkel small HB bag a few years ago. The metal to metal contact of it's mounting system rattled on any road surface of rough pavement or gravel. I found that intolerable. I also don't like bags that rise higher than the bar tops. I'm back to a small top tube bag for wallet, phone and glasses. No experience with the Lone Peak bag.
Old 09-29-16, 07:14 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I bought and returned an Arkel small HB bag a few years ago. The metal to metal contact of it's mounting system rattled on any road surface of rough pavement or gravel. I found that intolerable. I also don't like bags that rise higher than the bar tops. I'm back to a small top tube bag for wallet, phone and glasses. No experience with the Lone Peak bag.
That's disappointing to hear about rattling. Here's a link discussing the rattling you are referring to. Some experience it, but apparently some don't.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ht/9AO-80Dlolk
Old 09-29-16, 10:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Wayne .. the touring store, sells Lone Peak (and Ortlieb)
TheTouringStore.com | Lone Peak Panniers and Packs Home

If no one here did your testing purchase and revue , ask that seller about seam sewing techniques etc.

Consider, what details for you define Quality?

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-29-16 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 10:56 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
That's disappointing to hear about rattling. Here's a link discussing the rattling you are referring to. Some experience it, but apparently some don't.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ht/9AO-80Dlolk
Well, to be clear, it looks like only one person there claims to have the issue. I wouldn't let that one guy's complaint put me off from give it a go.
Old 09-29-16, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Poorly done User Installation is always a Possibility..
Old 09-30-16, 12:31 PM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The Arkel bag won out. Reviews of the Lone Peak were nearly nonexistent- although one I read said it had no waterproof capability at all. The Arkel is mostly waterproof although maybe not to the extent of the Ortlieb, but I like the "classic" look of the Arkel better Also, from all I've read the Arkel's attachment system is unparalleled (despite reports of possible rattling). The Arkel also includes a sturdy map case which is important to me because I rely heavily on paper maps when I tour. The Arkel is more money than I ideally wanted to spend but for once I didn't settle for the less expensive option only to go back later and buy the more expensive one.
Old 09-30-16, 12:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Get the rain cover Too..
Old 09-30-16, 07:35 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
The Arkel bag won out. Reviews of the Lone Peak were nearly nonexistent- although one I read said it had no waterproof capability at all. The Arkel is mostly waterproof although maybe not to the extent of the Ortlieb, but I like the "classic" look of the Arkel better Also, from all I've read the Arkel's attachment system is unparalleled (despite reports of possible rattling). The Arkel also includes a sturdy map case which is important to me because I rely heavily on paper maps when I tour. The Arkel is more money than I ideally wanted to spend but for once I didn't settle for the less expensive option only to go back later and buy the more expensive one.
Sounds like a good decision to me. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 09-30-16, 08:26 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 188 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with different brands, my current handlebar bag is the Topeak Tourguide DX which I think is a great bag and the price was right, my previous handlebar bag was a Cannondale which wasn't as good as the Topeak. I do own Ortlieb rear panniers and think they're great, but I went with the Topeak instead of the Ortlieb or other brands because the price was less, and I've never had any water get inside of course I do use the rain cover but I also sprayed the bag with silicone water resistant spray.
Old 10-01-16, 06:45 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the Lone Peak Alta. In fact, I've had two of them. It has a main pocket, a "hidden" pocket inside the main pocket, two side mesh pockets and a large front pocket in addition to the clear map case on the top. From a storage functionality perspective, this is a well designed bag. I really like the bag. It is very useful on the bike and its simple detachment makes it a great shoulder bag when leaving the bike. I often use it as my airline carry-on.

But with all that said, the bag does have shortcomings. As has been mentioned, anything in the front pocket will likely get soaked if riding in rain. That has happened to me a number of times so I only put things in the front pocket which can withstand getting wet. I keep water sensitive items in small plastic bags in the main compartment. The main compartment offers better protection but I've had things get wet in there as well, though not as much. There is an optional waterproof handlebar bag cover, but if used it prohibits viewing of the map on top of the bag. I also recommend anyone considering this bag to get a spare handlebar mounting bracket. I snapped mine once (from user error, not due to a product flaw) and the bag was useless until I got another. Good to have a spare at home instead of having to wait for one to be delivered, or you can put it on another bike to be able to use the bag on multiple bikes.

Even with these shortcomings, I would not hesitate to get this bag again. It really is a good bag and I've gotten very good service out of mine.
Old 10-02-16, 06:51 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by redbagsrambler
I have the Lone Peak Alta. In fact, I've had two of them. It has a main pocket, a "hidden" pocket inside the main pocket, two side mesh pockets and a large front pocket in addition to the clear map case on the top. From a storage functionality perspective, this is a well designed bag. I really like the bag. It is very useful on the bike and its simple detachment makes it a great shoulder bag when leaving the bike. I often use it as my airline carry-on.

But with all that said, the bag does have shortcomings. As has been mentioned, anything in the front pocket will likely get soaked if riding in rain. That has happened to me a number of times so I only put things in the front pocket which can withstand getting wet. I keep water sensitive items in small plastic bags in the main compartment. The main compartment offers better protection but I've had things get wet in there as well, though not as much. There is an optional waterproof handlebar bag cover, but if used it prohibits viewing of the map on top of the bag. I also recommend anyone considering this bag to get a spare handlebar mounting bracket. I snapped mine once (from user error, not due to a product flaw) and the bag was useless until I got another. Good to have a spare at home instead of having to wait for one to be delivered, or you can put it on another bike to be able to use the bag on multiple bikes.

Even with these shortcomings, I would not hesitate to get this bag again. It really is a good bag and I've gotten very good service out of mine.
Thanks for your review. I really liked the looks of this bag and nearly bought one. However, the Arkel was so well liked, I figured I could not go wrong even though more quite a bit more expensive.
Old 10-02-16, 06:54 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Get the rain cover Too..
I have a rain cover from another bag that I think I can make work. I don't want to pay another $25 for a separate rain cover.
Old 10-02-16, 09:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I never put any water sensitive things in my Bar Bag.. so draping the Water-resistant map case

over the bag was enough .. large panel maps get a map case for sailboats .. Nav chart covers..

touring Europe they had better Maps ..
Old 03-01-21, 10:24 AM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
I had the same Topeak bag. No comparison between it and the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 that I have now, which is far superior.
I realize this thread is ancient by now, but I'm shopping for a handlebar bag to carry a camera while I bike and the Topeak and Ortlieb are at the top of the list. Can you elaborate a little bit about what makes the Ortlieb better? Thanks.
Old 03-01-21, 12:07 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 188 Posts
I will say this, and I mentioned this before, I happen to like the Topeak Tourguide DX, while it isn't waterproof but you can do some things to prevent water from coming in. When I say waterproof in a drizzle it's fine, but in a downpour it's not, so what I did was to sprayed Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty water-resistant spray, I put on 4 coats initially allowing each coat to dry between coats, then I redo it every season. The bag also comes with a rain fly which I also put 4 coats on it and I retreat it every season. Even after all of that anything that I don't want to get wet I put in ziplock bags just as a precaution. I have waterproof panniers, and those were also tested in a downpouring rain and nothing was remotely even damp yet I still put stuff I don't want wet in plastic ziplock bag, But I also use a heavy-duty garden trash bag to line my panniers mostly to keep anything that spills inside from staining or stinking up the inside of the bag, but it will also assure no water gets in. One could line the handlebar bag with a smaller trash bag and waterproof it that way, I have not done that.

This Topeak bag is significantly larger than Ortlieb, plus the Topeak has a large clear plastic cover for maps that the Ortlieb does not have. So while the Ortlieb is better at keeping water out you can make the Topeak do the same thing for cheap.
Likes For rekmeyata: