Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Beginner Bike Shop near San Ramon

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 07:15 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts

I’ve friends in San Ramon who are asking me advice for buying bikes and getting into cycling. I’ve told them the usual stuff about getting fitted for size, avoid gimmicky suspension, no Walmart/Target etc. But I don’t know where to send them in terms of reputable bike shops that deal a lot with cycling-rookies. Anyone on here have a recommendation?
Old 05-26-20, 08:58 AM
shrimp123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
livermore cyclery (in dublin and livermore) <--- best by far. selection, cost, quality and people.
dublin cyclery (i think giant dealer and some used mech)
Ca peddlar (in Danville. John may have retired. double check)
6Fifteen (in San Ramon, high end also have sponsored rides)
mikes bikes (in Pleasanton, esp. on the 20% sale days)
Old 05-26-20, 09:11 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
livermore cyclery is turning into trek stores
6fifteen has been gone for awhile.
Old 05-27-20, 08:47 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
With 6fifteen and California pedaler gone the only real option in the area is Mike's Bikes. I actually prefer to buy my bikes through them. Great staff and low pressure atmosphere. Omar at the Pleasanton store is a good guy to deal with. Rob over at Walnut Creek in the service dept has been very helpful with small silly things and several warranty claims including a cracked frame.

One other place to check out is Sports Basement in San Ramon. Not a bad place to shop if you are new to the hobby. Join their club for $25 and get 10% off all purchases including bikes and even garmin products.
Old 05-27-20, 12:51 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I stayed out of this since I have no current knowledge. Thanks for all the inputs. I will mention the Sports Basement in Walnut Creek they have been to me on some occasions. Good luck.
Old 05-27-20, 05:29 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
With 6fifteen and California pedaler gone the only real option in the area is Mike's Bikes. I actually prefer to buy my bikes through them. Great staff and low pressure atmosphere. Omar at the Pleasanton store is a good guy to deal with. Rob over at Walnut Creek in the service dept has been very helpful with small silly things and several warranty claims including a cracked frame.

One other place to check out is Sports Basement in San Ramon. Not a bad place to shop if you are new to the hobby. Join their club for $25 and get 10% off all purchases including bikes and even garmin products.
Omar is my buddy... he's in the service dept now. Still a bunch of good guys and gals there in sales. Walnut Creek is also good.
Old 06-17-20, 12:05 AM
ErikDaGenErik

Bikes: Specialized Venge S-Works, Giant Contend AR 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I can name a couple but one that stands out is Superfly Wheels in Pleasanton. Really great people, patient and helpful. Downside is they’re closed on weekends and the current lead time (as with a lot of shops). Livermore Trek is great too; I wasn’t thrilled about their “appointment only” rule for sales inquiries, but they lifted that since then. I’ve had my bike serviced at Mike‘a Bikes in Pleasanton, they also helped my wife with her sales inquiry - I recommend them as well.