Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Homemade Tools

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Homemade Tools

Old 06-26-20, 12:08 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Homemade Tools

As I move through the process of building my first few frames, I'm spending much time making tools to make this easier. I'm seeking some inspiration for how others solve similar issues. I'll start with a tube butt gauge I built. I also have a few lug vices and a canti boss jig that I'll take some photos of soon.

Old 06-26-20, 12:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
My butt checker is a bit embarrassing, even though it works fine, I have been meaning to make a new one. I really like the Farr butt checker https://farrframeworks.com/farr-tools
Old 06-26-20, 12:26 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Heh heh heh, you said butt checker. Heh heh.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 06-26-20, 12:40 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Originally Posted by unterhausen
My butt checker is a bit embarrassing, even though it works fine, I have been meaning to make a new one. I really like the Farr butt checker https://farrframeworks.com/farr-tools

Agreed, the Farr gauge is really nice like all of his tooling. I'm hoping he makes the Bringheli add-ons again. They would make my jig much more useful.
Old 06-26-20, 12:54 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts

I made this one for another builder, because I don't use these cable stops.

My home made heat sinks.

My butt checker. I have made several of these for other builders in the past.
Old 06-26-20, 01:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Nice work. How does the stop fixture mount to the head tube?
Old 06-26-20, 03:38 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Nice work. How does the stop fixture mount to the head tube?
It attaches with a set screw. This is an in-process shot of the fixture, while I was making it.
Old 06-26-20, 05:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Cynikal- Why the third and square beam? A simple flat plate is all that's needed to hold the butt gage in a bench vice. The shorty versions are cute but I like the ability to rest the tub's length on the support beam as completely as possibly. Less chance for tube wobbling errors of the read out. Andy
Old 06-27-20, 01:24 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

I had thought that I would braze feet on it so it would stand on it's own. Turns out I just put that part in the vice like yours. Maybe I'll cut it off and repurposed it, who knows.
Old 06-27-20, 03:39 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
This is a simple jig I made for hand-mitring. You set the angle you want by lying one arm flat on the table and using a digital angle finder box. Then you tighten that nut (the bolt is welded on the other side). Then you can put your two tubes into it, holding them flat inside the bits of angle iron, and see how well they fit up. It works pretty well and is easier than trying to peer at things in the jig because you can hold it all up to the light and move it all round.

Jig for hand-mitring
Likes For guy153:
Old 06-27-20, 06:32 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Guy153
That's neat! I saved that pic!!
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 06-27-20, 11:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I saw a butt checker that's just a rod with a ball bearing brazed into it at the end. indicator stand sits on the bench and put the rod in a vise.
Old 06-27-20, 02:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I saw a butt checker that's just a rod with a ball bearing brazed into it at the end. indicator stand sits on the bench and put the rod in a vise.
Simple and stiff, just like I wish I was still Andy
Old 01-20-21, 08:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Another thread tangented to a tool I had photoed and I remembered this thread. So I'm resurrecting this starting with that tool.

I am slowly replacing this tool with a newer version. The two shots above are of the first version and the current second one. Both used the same plate with Vees to locate the big ends of blades/stays but these Vees were hand cut (and by their looks while I was "distracted") and didn't hold the blade/stay ends at the same height. So making sure the two blades/stays and drop outs were at the same angle was tricky. Being able to quickly remove, file a bit more and retest the blade/stay during it's slotting was quite nice. A good tooling idea not done well.

The replacement plate end will have a longer workstand jaw holding shaft, Vees that are extremely close to being the same size and the swinging tabs will be nicer. Otherwise the same basic design. In time the axle end will get re done with a slightly wider/longer axle and a bit more stand off from the beam. The beam's length adjustment will remain. I might add a thing that clamps to the beam mid way and helps to support/keep parallel the blades/stays, like some fork jigs have. Andy
AndrewRStewart
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 01-20-21, 08:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

To further move this thread and invite other's home made tools here's a couple of braze on bit holders.

The tinker toy version is my earlier attempt. I have 4 of them. No special machines to make these (an important element for many). There are series of bolt together holes (added after this shot) to allow adjusting the various locations of the bits. I use a hose clamp to secure these to the frame.

The sleeker version is inspired by the Sputnik ones. I made two different shaped end links that press onto the braze on bit. Vee grooved and knife edged. I have 3 of these and use either hose clamps or spring clamps. Andy

Old 01-22-21, 10:27 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Here's the now completed stay/blade to drop out fixture. I placed the just finished (for now, till I see how the tire/rings interface...) chainstays and they sit very well in this new fixture. Unlike the old one there's no slight offness between the two sides during set up. I suppose I could have tweaked the old one to better situate the blades/stays WRT the drop outs but making stuff is more fun.

So anyone want the old one? The beam's center sliding extender (.75"x.058" wall tube is what I use) would have to be made, I'll toss in two M5 binder barrels and you provide the rest. $25 plus shipping. The new one took about 5 hours to make and I suspect the old would want a couple of hours to get going. Andy

Old 01-22-21, 11:39 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

I'd be interested in that. I'll PM you.
Old 01-22-21, 12:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have a chainstay tool mocked up. I like Andy's mounting system. Have to think about that. I'm making it out of extrusion
Old 01-22-21, 01:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Eric- I suspect your design will be more versatile, and likely straighter then mine. All I wanted was a simple way to hold the parts while checking after hand mitering and during brazing. In hindsight now that I am trying to make a 2.5+ tire width bike I see how a fixture which can have tire mock ups attached to check for clearance is a real help. Andy
Old 01-22-21, 03:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I certainly have thought that better is the enemy of good enough as far as this goes. Side to side is not that important as long as it's in range. Tilt might be a problem. I'm thinking about how I can use laser cut parts to make it a little better. It seems like there lots of applications for that. Konga bikes has some dxf you can download. I suggest you look at their insta before downloading though https://kongabicycles.com/ https://www.instagram.com/kongabicycles/?hl=en

I'm thinking about how to laser cut some parts for a shift lever boss tool
Old 02-06-21, 04:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Guess this tool time. I made this today (my 650B MtB project is paused waiting for BB delivery) to help me do something I have been frustrated with for years. What is this for? Andy (the answer tomorrow)
Old 02-07-21, 02:41 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
The hole and the bolt look like they're for clamping this to the table of a mill or drill press. The semi-circular notch might be for adding a clamp to stop it all spinning round. Then it looks like there's a channel and another clamp for holding the work, perhaps something that already has a 90 degree bend in it as this would explain the small round hole at the back. Maybe it's for holding narrow tubing such as for a rack while notching it? But then I would have expected that channel to have a round bottom. But this is my best guess.
Old 02-07-21, 09:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have no clue. I'm waiting to find out. I'll hold my breath.

I should go fix my mill in the interim.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-07-21, 04:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

It's to hold a number/letter punch in place WRT the BB shell. I've struck so many times with the letters being off angle, uneven heights and spacing. I have plans for another that clamps to the steerer. Andy
Old 02-07-21, 05:05 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 655 Posts
Nice! I would never have guessed what you made it for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.