Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this rust a concern?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this rust a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 06:47 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Is this rust a concern?

Going to look at a Lemond Zurich tomorrow and got this picture just now. Is this anything to be concerned about? Any way to test that a newby needs to know? Other than just making sure it's just surface and checking fork for rattle issues? I don't think so but I'm spending more than I should and I'm a bit OCD.
Old 07-28-20, 07:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
IME the rust you should be concerned about is the stuff you don't see.

You should pull the seat post and sighted down the seat tube? What do the bottle bosses, cable stops, tube vent holes look like? Bring a spoke wrench and try to turn a few nipples.

On face value the rust imaged is not a big deal by it's self. The real question will be if more prevents removing parts like stems, posts or BBs. Andy
Old 07-28-20, 07:27 PM
RH Clark

Appreciate all those tips. Should I be concerned about what I think is a carbon fork on it ?
Old 07-28-20, 07:35 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Appreciate all those tips. Should I be concerned about what I think is a carbon fork on it ?
Maybe. Since it has the Shimano 600 brakes on it those are circa mid-90's models and if the bike is that old you would want to give a look at the fork removed and look for cracks or other damage particularly at the steerer to fork crown joint. Some mfrs. recommend retiring a CF fork after 15 yrs but I have seen a few in service for around 25 yrs with no issues. A bit of a gamble though and will the seller allow you to inspect it properly??
Old 07-28-20, 07:45 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Yep. That's about a 35 year old bike. Rust is visible all over the place. First thing you got to do is strip the bike parts off down to the bare frame. Soak all the parts in mineral spirits or diesel fuel. Clean and polish the bare frame. Spray some CRC corrosion inhibitor inside the frame. Re-grease all the bearing surfaces & replace all the ball bearings. Clean and re-install all of the component parts. Install all new cables and cable covers. Install new chain, brake pads, hoods, bar tape, seat, rim tape, tubes, tires and, pedals. Now you're a member of the vintage bike club. (A total bleeding heart moron idiot). Try & sell the bike for what you got in to it. Realize that after spending a hundred hours of labor and $300 in parts that you will never recover your investment. Sell the bike to someone who has never even rode a drop bar bike in their entire life for about $200 less than you have invested in it. Be happy about keeping an old bike out of the dump. Be good. Have fun.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 07-28-20, 08:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
knock out the lower head set race , sand the metal, apply paint. then re install the headset.
Old 07-28-20, 09:51 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by ramzilla
Yep. That's about a 35 year old bike. Rust is visible all over the place. First thing you got to do is strip the bike parts off down to the bare frame. Soak all the parts in mineral spirits or diesel fuel. Clean and polish the bare frame. Spray some CRC corrosion inhibitor inside the frame. Re-grease all the bearing surfaces & replace all the ball bearings. Clean and re-install all of the component parts. Install all new cables and cable covers. Install new chain, brake pads, hoods, bar tape, seat, rim tape, tubes, tires and, pedals. Now you're a member of the vintage bike club. (A total bleeding heart moron idiot). Try & sell the bike for what you got in to it. Realize that after spending a hundred hours of labor and $300 in parts that you will never recover your investment. Sell the bike to someone who has never even rode a drop bar bike in their entire life for about $200 less than you have invested in it. Be happy about keeping an old bike out of the dump. Be good. Have fun.
Yea, that's what I was afraid of. How is it I manage to convince myself that a never ending project is a bargain? I haven't bought it yet and have about talked myself out of it. I got 2 great project bikes now.
Old 07-30-20, 01:40 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I mean, that amount of rust by the headtube cups isn't a clear indicator that the rest of the frame is compromised or anything, it's just something you should probably check out. It IS a really sweet frame, so it's really up to doing some due diligence checking it over, and deciding what result you want and how much work you're wanting to put in to get it.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the carbon fork unless there's signs of damage to it.
Old 07-30-20, 05:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,987 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sometimes pulling apart and rebuilding a bike can be quite fun. I had a single speed/FG road bike conversion that was a blast to recover up until the seized seatpost. Though I did sell it to a co-worker and at least got the project out of my hands and a little money in. Not really enough to cover all the labor put in and a few parts but I damn sure had some fun working on it.
Old 07-30-20, 05:25 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Short answer: I see nothing that would concern me but this is just one picture. If I were buying a used bike I would like to examine the entire bike more closely. If you're the OCD type then maybe this isn't the bike for you; maybe you should start with just the frameset so you don't waste time taking everything apart. If you just want a bike to ride just make sure there are no cracks in the frame and no major dents.
Old 07-30-20, 06:24 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Short answer: I see nothing that would concern me but this is just one picture. If I were buying a used bike I would like to examine the entire bike more closely. If you're the OCD type then maybe this isn't the bike for you; maybe you should start with just the frameset so you don't waste time taking everything apart. If you just want a bike to ride just make sure there are no cracks in the frame and no major dents.
Thanks. I don't just "need' a bike. I have 4 that I ride regularly and a couple more that need work. I wanted something lighter than my old True Temper Trek 400,and Miyata 610 in a high quality steel frame. I don't really have the money though to rebuild another older bike. I'm probably better served to ride what I have and continue to save for a great deal on a newer bike that needs less work.
Old 07-30-20, 07:48 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
I think that's a bike that's been seriously neglected (maybe just ridden hard, hard hard), but it's over-haulable if you're going to put it the effort. Besides other red flags others have mentioned:

Rusted fasteners everywhere. Well, at least everyone on the brake that is visible.

Serious cable rub on the headtube for the front shifter cable. Both shifter cables look like they've worn through the housing on the inside where it rubs the head tube when turning.

Cobwebs on the brake. Do the tires hold air and are they rideable/safe? (The front tire does look fresh)

Probably need both brake and shifter cables and housings, handlebar tape. Got a pic or two of the drivetrain? Again, bike doesn't look like it's been well maintained. If you're OCD then there's a lot of work to do.

Unfortunately it's a seller's market out there during these pandemic times.