Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The case of creaks

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

The case of creaks

Old 08-09-20, 09:57 AM
wrightstuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
The case of creaks

Yesterday I noticed a creaking noise for the first time from my bike whenever I was peading a bit harder than normal. The sound was almost certainly coming from the crankset. The frame is carbon and from about ~2009. It was last built up as a 1x with an FSA crankset using their Megaexo bottom bracket. The last build up of the frame was at least 5 years ago now (by the previous owner) and I have not done any routine maintenance on the crankset.

Is a creak like this almost certain to develop over time with no mind given to maintenance? What are the best tips and tricks to solve the issue at hand and to avoid this in the future?
Old 08-09-20, 10:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by wrightstuff
Yesterday I noticed a creaking noise for the first time from my bike whenever I was peading a bit harder than normal. The sound was almost certainly coming from the crankset. The frame is carbon and from about ~2009. It was last built up as a 1x with an FSA crankset using their Megaexo bottom bracket. The last build up of the frame was at least 5 years ago now (by the previous owner) and I have not done any routine maintenance on the crankset.

Is a creak like this almost certain to develop over time with no mind given to maintenance? What are the best tips and tricks to solve the issue at hand and to avoid this in the future?
Creaks come from various sources, and are not unusual. Cranksets don't need "routine maintenance" aside from perhaps checking to make sure the bolts are properly torqued, which is the first thing you should check. If that doesn't solve it, you might need new bottom bracket bearings. Could be your pedal bearings, too, but I doubt that.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-09-20, 10:02 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Always check the easy stuff first. It's not always the bottom bracket or cranks...

Old 08-10-20, 07:00 AM
wrightstuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Creaks come from various sources, and are not unusual. Cranksets don't need "routine maintenance" aside from perhaps checking to make sure the bolts are properly torqued, which is the first thing you should check. If that doesn't solve it, you might need new bottom bracket bearings. Could be your pedal bearings, too, but I doubt that.
Thank you! I have been planning on some more bike wrenching in the near future, and it seems like my first purchase or two will need to be some torque wrenches.

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Always check the easy stuff first. It's not always the bottom bracket or cranks...
Good point! Thanks for the link - that was a very informative video. I will be sure to spend some more time diagnosing before diving into work around the bottom bracket.