Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chainline question about 1x conversion

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 05:09 PM
Sealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 3x8 that I'd like to change to a 1x. I'm comfortable with just the middle (32t) chainring and the current 8 speed, 11-34t cassette. I don't use the large or small front chainrings at all, though I could see myself wanting some easier gears once I start riding steeper and more technical uphills. I was thinking I'd start the conversion by removing the front chainrings, derailleur, and shifter, and getting a 1x chainring with 32t. Later I can upgrade to a 10 speed cassette in the back if I actually start feeling like I need it.

The current drivetrain on the bike is set up to be a 3x. Thus, the chainline should be centered through the middle cog. If I swap the 3x for a 1x chainring, won't the chainline be off-center? Is this a problem? Do I need to get a 1x specific spider? Also, do I really need a narrow-wide or drop stop 1x chainring or will any old chainring work fine?

For reference, I have a hardtail, my local trails are really chunky/rocky, and I ride beginner to intermediate trails with the bike, though I may want to try harder stuff in the future.
Old 08-10-20, 06:06 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Why would the chainline change if you put a new ring in the exact same place? Does it currently work? If so, you're probably fine since you never shift the front anyway.

I like narrow wide but I'm sure it will work without except on really bumpy stuff
Old 08-13-20, 07:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Middle chain ring on a triple , sits on your one by chainline...
Old 08-17-20, 11:25 AM
Sealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Middle chain ring on a triple , sits on your one by chainline...
Really? By eye it would seem like the 1x is slightly further out than the middle ring on the triple. Still its such a small difference that my original question doesn't really make sense.
Old 08-17-20, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Chainline is measured.. from center line of bike..
Old 08-17-20, 02:13 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You don't have to do anything but remove the big and little chainrings, front derailer and shorten your chain. If you have issues with losing the chain in the lowest or highest gears, the look into a narrow wide chainring. Or you can install the old front derailer with the endpoints locked in the center as a chainguide.
Old 08-18-20, 09:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Sealth
Really? By eye it would seem like the 1x is slightly further out than the middle ring on the triple. Still its such a small difference that my original question doesn't really make sense.
I don’t understand. Assuming you put the 1x ring in the middle ring position on the crank, why would it be slightly further out?

You are re-using the same cranks, right?

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-19-20 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 05:28 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Did the same thing but went to 1x10. Also used a new ss crank. Chainline is fine. If reusing original cranks, just put it in the middle ring position. You don't need narrow wide but it helps avoid drops.