Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Have a Bianchi Piaggio

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Have a Bianchi Piaggio

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 03:45 PM
Nomeru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have a Bianchi Piaggio

Greetings. I've now got a Bianchi Piaggio that I'd like to know more about. I can see it's not in the greatest of shape, or at the very least is not very clean and doesn't look taken care of. I'm leaning towards just donating it to a charity because I don't have a personal need for it, but first feel I should at least learn a bit more about it.

As far as I understand, it's sat in storage for most of the last 20 years, I believe it had 1 owner prior to that, a man that probably bought it in his 60's or 70's. Sorry for the poor picture quality. It's a 15 speed, I'm not sure what else to note about it. Looks like a new seat, maybe not stock handlebars.

I have pictures, but it wouldn't let me post them yet, or links by the sounds of it given I just made this account. Is there any way around that? I saw it said make 10 posts but I don't have much else to talk about. Is there a way to get an exception, or message a mod with the images?

Other things I can say about it in the mean time I guess: It's grey, chromed pedals by the looks of it. I don't know frame terminology, but the front tube between where the wheel attaches and handlebars is fairly short. There is about a 1" gap between the horizontal bar and the diagonal one running down to the pedals. There's a sticker on just above the Piaggio badge under the seat/horizontal bar, it but it's sort of mangled. It's black with a gold border, green lettering "Cr-", followed by what may be an "M" for "Cr-M", but as I said it's a bit mangled and I can't read it well. If there's anything else I can describe I'll try my best, though I'm sure it would be easier for everyone if I could just post a couple images.

Edit: Another thing to note, there's no Piaggio sticker like I've seen on some others. Instead it's painted on in gold just above the bianchi lettering on the (mostly) horizontal tube between seat and pedals.

Last edited by Nomeru; 08-27-20 at 04:13 PM. Reason: adding a description since I can't post images
Likes For Nomeru:
Old 08-27-20, 04:04 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Howdy!
You can go to Introductions and say “Hi” to some people there. Should get you to ten pretty quickly.
Old 08-27-20, 04:19 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Nomeru welcome to the forums you can get around the 10 post requirement by creating an album in the Gallery and then we can see your Pictures and tell you more
Old 08-27-20, 04:29 PM
Nomeru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah great! I'm not entirely sure what all might be useful to see, but I've got a couple up now if this works. Okay, it won't let me post a link to the gallery either, though the text thing seems to indicate it's only links to other sites that aren't okay. Does it skirt the rules too much to say it's at album/18966320?
Old 08-27-20, 04:37 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Pic assist

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/18966320
Old 08-27-20, 05:23 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Nomeru That sticker probably says "Cr-Mo" which is the type of steel tubing the bike is made out of. The brand is "Bianchi Piaggio". Piaggio owned Bianchi for a while and they put their name on the bikes.

It's entry-mid level mountain bike judging by the claw-type rear derailluer. It bolts to a claw which bolts to the frame instead of bolting directly to the frame.

The crankset looks decent but I can't ID it. Shifters look entry level. Post closer up pics of the components once you get to 10 posts.

This bike would make a good commuter or knock around city bike for someone. If you decide to donate it, try to find a bike co-op in your city. They would be happy to have it.
Old 08-27-20, 05:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomeru
Greetings. I've now got a Bianchi Piaggio that I'd like to know more about. I can see it's not in the greatest of shape, or at the very least is not very clean and doesn't look taken care of. I'm leaning towards just donating it to a charity because I don't have a personal need for it, but first feel I should at least learn a bit more about it.

As far as I understand, it's sat in storage for most of the last 20 years, I believe it had 1 owner prior to that, a man that probably bought it in his 60's or 70's. Sorry for the poor picture quality. It's a 15 speed, I'm not sure what else to note about it. Looks like a new seat, maybe not stock handlebars.

I have pictures, but it wouldn't let me post them yet, or links by the sounds of it given I just made this account. Is there any way around that? I saw it said make 10 posts but I don't have much else to talk about. Is there a way to get an exception, or message a mod with the images?

Other things I can say about it in the mean time I guess: It's grey, chromed pedals by the looks of it. I don't know frame terminology, but the front tube between where the wheel attaches and handlebars is fairly short. There is about a 1" gap between the horizontal bar and the diagonal one running down to the pedals. There's a sticker on just above the Piaggio badge under the seat/horizontal bar, it but it's sort of mangled. It's black with a gold border, green lettering "Cr-", followed by what may be an "M" for "Cr-M", but as I said it's a bit mangled and I can't read it well. If there's anything else I can describe I'll try my best, though I'm sure it would be easier for everyone if I could just post a couple images.

Edit: Another thing to note, there's no Piaggio sticker like I've seen on some others. Instead it's painted on in gold just above the bianchi lettering on the (mostly) horizontal tube between seat and pedals.
Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

No expert but this is pretty cool, you're in the right place and on the right track wanting to know more.

We need more pics, the more and better, the better, just respond to all the posts here and you'll get to 10 by days end tomorrow.

If this can fit you I would encourage you to hang on to it at least for awhile.

Its mostly not about need around here, we're all about the want, minutiae, cool, old, classic and vintage, we play the need card after all the rest has played out if need be.
Old 08-27-20, 06:27 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Looks to be circa 1984, Japanese manufactured. Serial number will reveal the exact manufacture date. Looks like a Grizzly but I don't recall them with the head tube gusset.