Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Bad Experience - Joe’s Bicycle Painting in Watsonville, CA - Members Beware

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Bad Experience - Joe’s Bicycle Painting in Watsonville, CA - Members Beware

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 03:15 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedemon
Rude? There nothing rude on that. It's a statement right to the point! Why sugarcoat it?
Sorry but, I wasn't talking about you... I was talking about the Corvette guy, I quoted his/her post, not yours.

Yes, I'm having this redone completely. I have been in contact with Mark (Dr. Deltron) on getting the fork to him. ....
Seems that Mark and I are on the same page as to what I'm looking for and I am confident that it will all work out well at the end after he's done with it.
Good call. I had my fork painted by Dr. D, and it looks nice
Old 10-19-09, 03:52 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by uspspro
Good call. I had my fork painted by Dr. D, and it looks nice
Me, too. No worries there.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-20-09, 10:09 PM
vettefrc2000

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
Just remember that YOU SAID THAT,

next time you pay some one to do a job for you, and it doesn't come back the way you wanted.

Or, maybe you are the dream customer that I never get!

"Oh Hey! The decals are crooked and there's dirt in the finish. No biggy, here, let me give you lots of money for that!"
Who is your painter? Thats the guy I would go to.
Old 10-20-09, 10:16 PM
vettefrc2000

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

That was my first thought as well!

But I'm just a victim of my environment.*

*(as a car spotter, in the past month I have seen Maserati's, Aston-Martin's, several of the Jag XK's and any number of Turbo's & Carrera S's. Bentley's are popular with a number of locals as well. Lambhorghini's indicate that it's either a race week or the Concourse. Couple of weeks ago, the Carmel Pinecone had front page news when a guy let his buddy drive the Scaglietti, and said friend went off-roading!
'Course if I do stop to check out a 'Vette, it's likely a '53 or a nice '66.
Anything newer and it's just your beater car.)
*...and I would be inclined to agree. Corvettes are a decent value for the price. Cars are a consumable item.
Old 10-20-09, 10:25 PM
vettefrc2000

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roadraccer
vettefrc2000

For someone that owns a Vette you must be an odd one which is half ass. I know because I'm a vette owner myself! All of many Vette owners are critical to all details. It seems to you that attention to details isn't a concern and doesn't matter. Are you one of these guys when you wax your car you don't clean the wax out of the cracks? I guess your ride would never be close to even be certified as a Bloomington Gold category! Look at his fork which is from Seven Cycles, one of the top bikes in road bikes! It's not a Trek, Cannondale or any of the mass production bikes. Hello, Wake UP There! If he spent that much money on having custom fitted and have one built and getting the fork custom painted should it go right down to the details.
Meh...I bought the car for the engine. Paint is good for protection. I would not spend good money on repainting a factory paint job. If I am going to restore a bike a will paint it myself. Painting is not rocket science. (FYI I have over 25 years painting experience from bikes to aircraft).

But then again, I think funky paint jobs and stupid faces have no business on a bicycle. (Just my opinion, other may vary)
Old 10-20-09, 10:38 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i agree that the job done is not that which you paid for.
bummer all around.

by looking the font
it would seem that a straight line could be established
measure center of the steer tube
and measure down from a known point along that line.
Old 10-21-09, 09:11 AM
roadraccer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vettefrc2000
Paint is good for protection. If I am going to restore a bike a will paint it myself.(Just my opinion, other may vary)
His own opinion based on what he has which is an out of dated Fuji, that is far cry from being a modern day Seven!

Last edited by roadraccer; 10-21-09 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-21-09, 10:00 AM
ual747captain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh...I bought the car for the engine.

If you did that, then why aren't you in a Vette with a LS7 or LS9?
Old 10-21-09, 02:53 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Painting is not rocket science. (FYI I have over 25 years painting experience from bikes to aircraft)
No, actually, it's more like chemical science. And true, neither is hard to do if you have half a brain.

I'm interested to see what you've done in those few years. What red??? Black?? Two-tone fade???
Meh, I did that when I was 12 years old!

But then again, I think funky paint jobs and stupid faces have no business on a bicycle. (Just my opinion, other may vary)
I think that funky people with stupid, overpowered V-8 gas guzzlers have no business on a
BICYCLE FORUM!

But hey, it's still a free country. (Just my opinion, other may vary)

Old 10-21-09, 03:14 PM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please, let's keep it civil lest we bring the wrath of X136 down upon us.
Old 10-21-09, 03:23 PM
speedemon

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadraccer
His own opinion based on what he has which is an out of dated Fuji, that is far cry from being a modern day Seven!
I guess if I had a Fuji myself then I would also paint myself because I wouldn’t have to worry about screwing it up. But since this isn’t a Fuji as just this fork alone cost more than a whole Fuji bike I would assume to leave to the pros to finish it off!
Old 10-21-09, 04:36 PM
mayukawa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, the decals no longer are straight relative to the steerer tube. Just curious, how much did such a paint job cost?
Old 10-22-09, 06:27 PM
speedemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just having the fork painted and decals put on cost $75.00 and he charged an additional charge of $25.00 for pearl paint. That didn't include all the shipping back & forth which was another $30.00. Overall the job wasn't completed as agreed and he refused to give me a full refund! Again Joe's is not the place to go for any custom paint work as I do not recommend him to anyone!
Old 10-24-09, 10:28 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The original decals are off location as well. I think you are over critical.

...and I quote..

The details make all of the difference!
So,... which is it?

Old 10-24-09, 11:50 AM
RapidRobert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd give the original painter a reasonable chance to redo the work at no cost. If that didn't solve the problem, I'd have it done by someone else and go to small claims court for the cost of that. the decal is way off. They should never have let it go out the front door.
Old 10-24-09, 05:20 PM
speedemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...and I quote..

So,... which is it?

Mark

Again this clown contradicts what he's saying; in an earlier post a statement was made that blind man can see the difference, so if he can't then he's blind. So I don't know how he sees the original decals are off location as they are dead on. This guy is blind and can't see things as we see it. It's no sense reply to his comments.

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
I'd give the original painter a reasonable chance to redo the work at no cost. If that didn't solve the problem, I'd have it done by someone else and go to small claims court for the cost of that. the decal is way off. They should never have let it go out the front door.

I did gave Joe an opportunity to correct the issue as I sent the fork back to him and he repainted it and sent it back out to me with an unfinished paint job where there was dirt, dust & light scratches in the paint. There was no way I could have applied the decal over the debris in the paint and send it back out to him to have the clear-coat put on. I called and talked to him about the debris he said for me to sand it. That's when I said is this why I'm paying you is to do a quality job? If I had to sand it and put on the decal I wouldn't needed to take it to him in the first place. This is why I made this posting so no one else would get screwed by him. As far as small claims court I live over 150 miles away and it would be a hassle.
Old 10-24-09, 05:46 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I talked with him on the phone once - that was everything I needed to know.
Old 09-04-20, 06:10 PM
bkmdano12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome job

Hi All

I just wanted to share my unpleasant experience with you all that are looking or thinking on getting your bike painted. I looked around for a good high quality show painter in the Northern California area since the beginning of summer. I have talked to several painters before choosing Joe Vasquez of Joe’s Bicycle Painting in Watsonville, CA https://www.joesbicyclepainting.com due to the fact he claims he has award winning quality finishes and is the factory painter for Calfee and Kestrel. I did some research and have nor heard neither good nor negative on him which I thought would be safe. I should have known to beware since I haven’t heard anything on him doing custom work either. Maybe some of you have used him and was satisfied with what he has done. For me it was just a totally mess to have contracted this paint job to a person who claims on his website that “All work is guaranteed to be free from defects in craftsmanship for 90 days. You'll love it or we'll fix it!”

This whole has taken about two months now and no proIgress which I'm going back to square one as this was a waste of time and money dealing with Joe's Bicycle Painting in Watsonville, CA This shop doesn’t follow through with the customer's needs, very unprofessional, no customer call back or contact, poor customer service as you constantly have call to check on progress and overall poor workmanship! So my word of advice is to beware when using Joe's Bicycle Painting in Watsonville, CA for a custom paint, but if you are looking for a simple Earl Scheib paint job maybe they may be capable of that, but anything above that beware.
I’ve had 3 bikes painted by Joe and they all came out awesome! He’s real busy so it takes a while but the wait was worth it for me! I wouldn’t go no where else!!

Old 09-05-20, 08:51 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Look up Rick at D and D Cycles in San Lorenzo. He does great paint work but due to this not being a secret he’s always swamped.
Old 09-05-20, 10:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Eleven years.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-06-20, 11:30 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Eleven years.
You know, other forums I am involved with have a pop-up notice warning the poster that the thread is old and they should consider starting a new thread instead of replying to a dead thread.

People who aren't regular members go googling for something and find these old threads and imagine it's a current topic... not their fault exactly... but a little helpful robotic reminder from the BF bureau of oversight would be simple and effective.
Likes For DiabloScott: