Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Types of Maillard Freewheels/tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 11:16 AM
crankholio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

I'm curious if anyone knows a little bit about the freewheels that each of the tools below fit. I've seen them both advertised as Maillard freewheel tools. One has 24 splines, the other looks like 16. Were the freewheels these fit exclusive to French bikes? Were they all French threaded? Which design came first? Are there any other Maillard freewheels that neither of these tools fit? I've read up some on the Maillard history including growth during WW2, decline in the 70's due to their helicomatic hub, but haven't found a solid reference for the various freewheel tools. Thanks.

Old 09-04-20, 11:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Look up Maillard Helicomatic for one these tools don't fit.
Old 09-04-20, 05:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Aris was the end of the line for Maillard they adopted the later Shimano thin wall spline remover,
SRAM Bought out SAchs and the rest of the group dissolved..
Old 09-04-20, 06:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Some Maillard/Atom/Normandy (different brands from the same company) freewheels were available in either metric or English thread, so they could be used on many manufacturer's bikes. Schwinn used Maillard/Normandy freewheels on their bikes for many years.

The really old Maillard freewheels used the same two-notch system as Regina. This later changed to a splined system shared by Zeus, Everest, and others. Schwinn used some Maillard/Normandy freewheels with a larger splined diameter. After Sachs purchased Maillard, they adopted the Shimano spline pattern. But none of my Maillard tools look like the ones in your picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
maillard-fw-tools.jpg (81.3 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 09-04-20 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-04-20, 10:46 PM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Some Maillard/Atom/Normandy (different brands from the same company) freewheels were available in either metric or English thread, so they could be used on many manufacturer's bikes. Schwinn used Maillard/Normandy freewheels on their bikes for many years.

The really old Maillard freewheels used the same two-notch system as Regina. This later changed to a splined system shared by Zeus, Everest, and others. Schwinn used some Maillard/Normandy freewheels with a larger splined diameter. After Sachs purchased Maillard, they adopted the Shimano spline pattern. But none of my Maillard tools look like the ones in your picture.
That's interesting to know about the threading. So I'm guessing the maillard freewheels that showed up on schwinns used ISO threading? The oversize schwinn tool you have there looks like it might be 24 spline...perhaps it's a slightly different look of the same tool I posted on the left? This link has a little more info on the left tool, and mentions it's used on some schwinns. The tool I posted on the right I can find almost nothing about.

Also interesting to hear there are some maillards that had shimano splines. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-05-20, 05:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
That's interesting to know about the threading. So I'm guessing the maillard freewheels that showed up on schwinns used ISO threading?
Early English thread Maillard freewheels had a small rectangular mark on the back of the body to indicate thread spec. Later production was explicitly marked with thread spec: "1.37 x 24 BSA"

The oversize schwinn tool you have there looks like it might be 24 spline...perhaps it's a slightly different look of the same tool I posted on the left? This link has a little more info on the left tool, and mentions it's used on some schwinns.
Yes, the one on the left in your picture appears to be the oversize remover used by Schwinn.

The tool I posted on the right I can find almost nothing about.
That one is a mystery. The ramped teeth don't match any freewheel spline pattern that I am familiar with.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-05-20, 01:04 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
. . .That one [on the right] is a mystery. The ramped teeth don't match any freewheel spline pattern that I am familiar with.
And unless the photo is reversed, the tool would be able to loosen a left-threaded part only. (Or tighten a right thread.) Weird.
Old 09-07-20, 03:29 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
the mystery tool on the right is for removing the ball cup on a Shimano 3-speed hub
Old 09-23-20, 12:19 AM
cyclingarri
All Ass No Gas

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot St. Laurent, 1974 UO18 Peugeot, 1985 P16 Peugeot, Roadmaster Ground Assult Mtn. Sport, Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Iseran Peugeot, Junet Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
These are the tools I use when working on Maillard Helliomatic

Var , Maillard, Cassette Cracker (custom made for me) company that used to make Pamir.
Old 09-24-20, 04:11 AM
cyclingarri
All Ass No Gas

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot St. Laurent, 1974 UO18 Peugeot, 1985 P16 Peugeot, Roadmaster Ground Assult Mtn. Sport, Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Iseran Peugeot, Junet Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a cool Catalog from the 80's Milliard Heliomatic