Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

VO2 max on bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

VO2 max on bike

Old 09-16-20, 02:15 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
VO2 max on bike

I saw the new Iwhatever came out today with VO2max. I have not been following the trackers and was ignorant of what is available. A little research showed options but the Garmin came out ahead for accuracy and will pair with my Garmin bike computer. I don't need anything to tell me when I'm out of breath but having a long term data on VO2max might be interesting or even beneficial. I found the Garmin vivosmart3 refurb for $40, they have the vivosmart4 refurb for $70 so I splurged on the 3 just for fun. Any experiences out here in BF land?
Old 09-16-20, 02:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
My 945 gives me VO2max readings, and they do go up when I'm performing better. That also means the numbers go down when it's hot and I have a harder time producing power, even though I assume my actual VO2max is unchanged. It's another fun number to look at, but not really important.
Old 09-16-20, 02:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Not with a paired watch/tracker, but just with the 530 and power meter/HRM. The Garmin gives me a score just slightly higher than my Fitbit's "Cardio Score," which is their nomenclature for VO2 Max (and FWIW, the Fitbit's HR data doesn't seem to be as good as the Garmin/chest strap).
Old 09-16-20, 03:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had mine tested in a lab a few years ago. My teammate was working on his Masters in Ex.Phys. and need some lab rats for a study he was doing so I got to ride a trainer in a lab with the whole scuba assembly and an occasional earlobe prick. At the end of my suffering I got some interesting data points, including VO2max, but it wasn't that useful for training purposes for me.
Old 09-16-20, 03:13 PM
popeye

I did read somewhere that using a chest strap for the HR the VO2 numbers were more exact. Thanks for the replies as this is all new to me.
Old 09-16-20, 03:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
You do realize this is just another number that the devices estimate. Accuracy is probably reasonable, but are your expectations for how accurate that number is unreasonable?

I can just see how this will be like Calories on one device don't match the Calories on my other device.
Old 09-16-20, 06:48 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
My issue is it's not even an actionable number. Knowing your HR zones is good; you can use those to structure a workout or pace a long ride. Knowing your power zones is even better; that lets you chart progress as well as structure a workout and pace a long ride. Knowing your VO2 max is... bragging rights, I guess? If it's 59 instead of 56, you could maybe use that to evaluate the effectiveness of one training plan against another. That would require having accurate numbers though, and not estimated numbers greatly affected by heat.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-16-20, 09:28 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I've had my V02 max measured in a lab and my Garmin presents me a value after rides from time to time. Both the lab results and the Garmin results are pretty close to one another (78 in a lab, 75 on the Garmin), but in no way do I incorporate those numbers into my training or use them as an indicator of fitness. As Bah Humbug said, it's not a terribly useful fitness metric. It'll decrease as you age, gain weight, get sick, ride too much, ride too little, etc.

Obtaining your FTP and building a training plan around that number is infinitely more useful if you want to keep track of fitness and get faster.
Old 09-18-20, 08:33 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You do realize this is just another number that the devices estimate. Accuracy is probably reasonable, but are your expectations for how accurate that number is unreasonable?

I can just see how this will be like Calories on one device don't match the Calories on my other device.

I think this is okay as long as you're measuring against your baseline consistently. If you're switching between platforms etc its probably useless but if you're constantly looking at Garmin's, it should give you an idea of your progress relative to your initial measurement.
Old 09-18-20, 10:39 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
My Garmin 130+ needs power meter sensors to deliver VO2max calcs. Don't have 'em, and just as well - VO2 usually just lowers my self esteem. Apple watch does it using an algo on long vigorous walks with heart rate. Accuracy? Who knows. Does kinda give a 'trend' that's relative over time, but I don't sense that it's well correlated to how I perceive my "current state of conditioning."
Old 09-21-20, 09:23 AM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I have a Garmin 935, which also ESTIMATES VO2 max. I say estimates because that's all it's doing. I have found that its VO2 number is consistent with its own measurements, in that I see my VO2 number increase as my training load increases. However, I wouldn't take the number as absolutely accurate. I also don't think Garmin's algorithm takes outdoor temperature into account.

I've had numerous cycling and running VO2 max tests done when working with a coach. He would use the test results to gauge my progress as well as set my power (cycling) and pace (running) zones. Those actual test results did not follow what Garmin said, and real world VO2 tests also give you a lot more data.

But I think the Garmin number is okay as a rough measure.
Old 09-21-20, 10:24 AM
popeye

I hope Garmin does NOT use its temperature. I have two 520's which read about 5 degs diff and a 530 which can be as much as 10 diff. I don't care what the VO2 number is as long as it's consistent and I can track fitness over a long period of time. Those Garmin temp's are with the GPS off.
Old 09-21-20, 10:38 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The new Apple iWatch can measure the amount of oxygen in your blood. Depending on how good the correlation is between the color of your blood as measured by the LED sensor is to the oxygen level in your blood I would expect you could get a fairly close VO2 reading to a lab result? Has anyone tried it yet?