Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped thread in fork for disc brake mount?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-14-20, 03:18 PM
Lost in NH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am sure everyone knows the definition of an expert. It appears I am becoming an expert on torque limits for disc brake mounting bolts. I just changed the pads for the first time on a new bike with Shimano BR-M447 disc brakes. I changed the pads with the wheels on the bike by removing the caliper mounting bolts. I had already finished the rear pads with no issues, but when I screwed in the top bolt on the front fork mount it kept turning when it should have become tight.

The top bolt is snug, not rotating freely, and the bottom bolt tightened properly. Together, the bolts are holding the caliper in place, with no Loctite. I just went for a seven mile ride with lots of hills and braking, and everything stayed in alignment. But I know I have a problem that needs to be addressed with more than just some blue Loctite.

The bolt appears to be fine, and the threads in the fork look good for as far as I can see. However, I twisted a Q-tip with acetone down the hole and it came out with one metal thread stuck to the bottom of the Q-tip. I am surprised if turns out I stripped the female threads rather than the bolt threads.

Comments? Has this ever happened to anyone else? I wanted to check this forum for thoughts and advice before I call my LBS, just so I'll be more prepared when I call them. Worst case, I'll take in my bike. Medium case, I'll ride with Loctite until fall and then take it in. I suspect my LBS will say bring it in now.
Old 06-14-20, 03:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../55466/4368748
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-14-20, 05:13 PM
Ernie_13

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would try to re-thread the hole with threading tool.
Old 06-14-20, 05:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
+100 This is absolutely the way to go. The repaired threads will be stronger than the original aluminum ones. Don't forget to use tapping fluid for aluminum when cutting the oversized threads. AlumTap Info

Edit: AMazon has it cheaper: https://smile.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-H.../dp/B0002KKPXK you can use the money saved to buy the tapping fluid: https://smile.amazon.com/Tap-Magic-2.../dp/B07CMNLYRL

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 06-14-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 05:21 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Would you not first try throwing a washer on the bolt and seeing if it doesn't tighten up? Just give it a bit more "margin of error" at the end... could save you a lot of hassle.

... and don't overtighten things
Old 06-14-20, 06:14 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
A longer bolt may work, it will get past the stripped threads and hopefully into any good threads left. If that doesn't work as above helicoil it they are not hard to use. Check the bolt size if it is the threaded hole in the fork that is stripped I think it is an M5 can't recall the thread spacing.
Old 03-09-21, 06:42 PM
Lucky78

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Threaded Fork Disc Mount

Originally Posted by wsteve464
A longer bolt may work, it will get past the stripped threads and hopefully into any good threads left. If that doesn't work as above helicoil it they are not hard to use. Check the bolt size if it is the threaded hole in the fork that is stripped I think it is an M5 can't recall the thread spacing.
I had this issue and fixed it by removing the bolt and cleaning the threaded aluminum off the bolt. I then removed 2 spring washers and reapplied the bolt. The extra thread (3 - 4 MM) was able to go past the threaded area and tighten in the fork.
Old 03-09-21, 06:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost in NH
I am sure everyone knows the definition of an expert. It appears I am becoming an expert on torque limits for disc brake mounting bolts. I just changed the pads for the first time on a new bike with Shimano BR-M447 disc brakes. I changed the pads with the wheels on the bike by removing the caliper mounting bolts. I had already finished the rear pads with no issues, but when I screwed in the top bolt on the front fork mount it kept turning when it should have become tight.

The top bolt is snug, not rotating freely, and the bottom bolt tightened properly. Together, the bolts are holding the caliper in place, with no Loctite. I just went for a seven mile ride with lots of hills and braking, and everything stayed in alignment. But I know I have a problem that needs to be addressed with more than just some blue Loctite.

The bolt appears to be fine, and the threads in the fork look good for as far as I can see. However, I twisted a Q-tip with acetone down the hole and it came out with one metal thread stuck to the bottom of the Q-tip. I am surprised if turns out I stripped the female threads rather than the bolt threads.

Comments? Has this ever happened to anyone else? I wanted to check this forum for thoughts and advice before I call my LBS, just so I'll be more prepared when I call them. Worst case, I'll take in my bike. Medium case, I'll ride with Loctite until fall and then take it in. I suspect my LBS will say bring it in now.
This comes down to material strengths. The bolt is most likely steel and the fork boss is Al. Besides overtightening starting a bolt crossed up is likely the next reason that threads get damaged. I agree with the longer bolt as the first, locktight as second and would only consider a non reversible method last (perhaps no mater how strong that might be) Andy
Old 03-09-21, 09:08 PM
Lost in NH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This comes down to material strengths. The bolt is most likely steel and the fork boss is Al. Besides overtightening starting a bolt crossed up is likely the next reason that threads get damaged. I agree with the longer bolt as the first, locktight as second and would only consider a non reversible method last (perhaps no mater how strong that might be) Andy
Thanks Andy. I rode the bike all summer with no issues. I actually forgot about the caliper bolt problem in the fall, so I never took the bike to my LBS. My plan now is to replace the pads w/o removing the caliper the next time they need to be changed. Perhaps a bit more fiddly to do, but I want to leave the suspect caliper bolt alone as long as it seems happy.
Old 03-10-21, 01:56 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
I'd recommend tapping the threads (should be M6) and using the longest bolt that fits. While aluminum/magnesium in fork lowers is relatively soft, it's not particularly easy to strip them out. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow you're using too short of a bolt in the first place.