Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Help: 400lb Electric Mountain Bike under $1500?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 11:42 AM
TRIBUNAL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,
Intro: Im new to the biking world. I've lost a lot of weight int eh past but I put about 60lbs back on. I weight 360 and expect to carry about 30lbs of gear with me.
I always wanted to get into mountain biking but I never thought I could at my weight. The option of an electric assist motor brings it into reality but the price tag is presenting an issue.
Needs: I want a bike that can carry about 400lbs along an unmaintained dirt road that goes up a mountain 16 miles round trip minimum. Perhaps some light trail work as well. I'm not looking to push the limits at all like doing jumps or hit branches and rocks at 10+mph down a trail. I really don't want to spend $1500 on my first bike but I do need something with enough strength and power to get me up a mountain.
I haven't had a lot of luck finding something reasonably priced that is rated to hold that weight, I've also found it difficult to find the weight ratings for many bikes online. With all that's going on some bikes close to what I am looking for are out of stock. I have considered getting a bike rated for the weight and converting it to electric but this doesn't seem to save much money if any. I don't mind buying used especially a frame, but its not easy to find anything out there. I hope to visit a bike shop to test out designs but I don't want to just take some $alesman's advice.
Thank you for any help!
PS if necessary I will consider a gas powered setup, but electric is preferred.

Last edited by TRIBUNAL; 06-18-20 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-18-20, 03:07 PM
TRIBUNAL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only one I can find that looks good is this one but it's only rated for 330lbs so I would have to baby it and maybe reduce my total load. It doesnt seem to be available though and the only seller i could find selling it on amazon has bad reviews bleh....
I can't post links yet so here's the details: ancheer-27-5-inch-wheel-48v-500w-blue-spark-electric-mountain-bike-with-removable-48v-10ah-battery

Last edited by TRIBUNAL; 06-18-20 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 03:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
you might want to check in the ebike forum https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/

just from looking at the threads i see all over this is going to be a case of you will get what you pay for, especially with your more extreme needs. All said the bike you listed is pretty low end, and they (low end bikes) tend to have issues and wearout, also if you by online and the brand has no LBS distribution you might have hard time getting someone to work on it (too man proprietary and one off parts, lack of tech books/sites etc many bike shops will not work on an ebike unless they sold it)

compare to a specialized....ton more money, but lot better equipment and design https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tu...ext=95220-7202

or a giant https://www.offrampbikes.com/product...r-369422-1.htm

Last edited by squirtdad; 06-18-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 11:15 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You can always contact a local shop, they can help. Look into a cargo bike. I just bought a Kona Ute longtail used. I'm 276, plus 75 lbs of kids plus stuff for work/ day care on my back, so far so good. Not exactly ideal but cargo bikes are built for heavier loads. 1500 seems like a lot now, but if you get into biking, 1500 will seem like pennies.
Old 06-21-20, 08:53 AM
TRIBUNAL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I wound up ordering a 48v 750w Bafung Mid drive kit which cost about 1k. I figure its a worthy investment as my fat ass isn't going to be able to get up a mountain at 10k+ feet elevation on my own. The goal now is to find a bike that can get the job done. I thought maybe I can get something for 330lbs being 30 over shouldn't be too much. I can then get a trailer for the bike and put the extras in there. I like the cargo bike idea very much and I'm shocked it never came up in my early research. I did go to the local bike shop in Richmond hill Ga and a guy named Rob was a great help. He recommended a mountain bike or hybrid with 29in wheels. He said what I have been noticing, with the pandemic his shop was cleaned out and he couldn't get anything from suppliers until late July/August. With supplies being limited my choices are even more limited but I sure ill find something. Rob did mention that it will likely be much easier to find a used bike in Colorado and I believe hes correct from what Ive seen. I'm still looking though.
Thanks for the help so far guys.
~Any good recommendations on where to find a used bike? I've tried looking all over on: ebay, craigslist, letgo, offerup,
Old 06-23-20, 05:50 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Are some what mechanically inclined?

If so convert an old 90s mtb to a mid drive E-bike

https://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kits/