Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ted Williams Free Spirit made in Austria?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 12:22 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I found one of these in great condition dirt cheap and am curious about who built them. The ad says made in Austria but not sure where he gets that, maybe a frame label?
Old 08-18-20, 12:38 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
These were made by Puch, an Austrian company. They're good bikes!
Old 08-18-20, 01:00 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
noobinst is not quite right tho very close. the Sears bikes were made for a couple of decades by Styer
the name of the company was Styer,Daimler,Puch. the Styers were the more pedestrian models: Department
store 10 speeds and 3 speeds etc. Puch was the bread and butter bike shop quality mid to upper mid range
bike and Austro-Daimler was the upper end racing bikes. this name was was discarded in the mid 80s and folded
into the Puch name. the Styer model that was equal to the Sears bike was called the Clubman
Old 08-18-20, 01:32 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Actually it's Steyr.

To the OP's last question, the "Made in Austria" appears on the head badge. There was a wide range of models, from heavy gas-pipe steel-wheeled "bike boom" models to one high-end model actually made from 531.
Old 08-18-20, 01:45 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 859 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
noobinst is not quite right tho very close. the Sears bikes were made for a couple of decades by Styer
the name of the company was Styer,Daimler,Puch. the Styers were the more pedestrian models: Department
store 10 speeds and 3 speeds etc. Puch was the bread and butter bike shop quality mid to upper mid range
bike and Austro-Daimler was the upper end racing bikes. this name was was discarded in the mid 80s and folded
into the Puch name. the Styer model that was equal to the Sears bike was called the Clubman
The Clubman was very basic, comparable to the Sears 10 SPEED model.

The Campy-equipped Ted Williams bikes were much more upscale but still had a few of the "basic" touches such as the "crimped and folded" seatstay ends.
These were closer to the Puch Burgmeister model, having hidden/internal brake cable and fancy fork crown.

There may have been lower-cost Ted Williams models in the later years, mid-70's(?). The Clubman remained very basic (including steel rims) up to 1973 or so.

The notable late-60's to early-70's Steyr/Puch ride-quality characteristics are a softer, slacker-angled cushioning but with the addition of a low-trail fork rake, making the steering quite lively.
I like this combination myself and put a good several thousand miles on my Clubman and Sears 10 SPEED models over the past ten years.

Last edited by dddd; 08-18-20 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 06:53 PM
mr3speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I picked up a nice 23" silver road bike from a thrift store because I needed the handlebars for another project. I decided to keep it to turn it into a single speed or maybe even a 3 speed. Mine also says "Made in Austria"
Old 09-08-20, 07:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 859 Posts
Originally Posted by mr3speed
I picked up a nice 23" silver road bike from a thrift store because I needed the handlebars for another project. I decided to keep it to turn it into a single speed or maybe even a 3 speed. Mine also says "Made in Austria"
I remember the silver 23" ones, made in Austria but now with Shimano derailers iir. That was around 1975-76 or so.
Old 09-08-20, 07:17 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I was always confused that Sears branded there better bikes in the 1970's Ted Williams since he was baseball star that retired in 1960.
Old 09-08-20, 07:40 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Ted Williams was their star athlete endorser, though, and many of Sears’ outdoorsy items were fitted with his name. I once owned a Spanish .22 target pistol manufactured by Star but branded “Ted Williams.” It seems to me some of my friends growing up had sporting goods with his name affixed. This was back when the massively thick Sears catalog fueled pre-teen boys with ideas for camping gear, bikes, sports equipment - pretty much everything.

Steyr-Daimler-Puch’s bicycle story in America is told here - My Austro-Daimler "Vent Noir II" Bicycle And Brief History of Steyr Daimler Puch - and I will note that the A-Ds were super nice, the Puchs were nice but definitely 2nd fiddle. The paint of the Austro-Daimler Vent Noir was stunning, the comparable Puch Royal Force was nice but not as striking, and the same frame with humbler parts (Royal X) got a downright shoddy paint job by comparison. It’s okay, the ride is exquisite.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 09-09-20, 06:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Steyr-Daimler-Puch’s bicycle story in America is told here - My Austro-Daimler "Vent Noir II" Bicycle And Brief History of Steyr Daimler Puch - and I will note that the A-Ds were super nice, the Puchs were nice but definitely 2nd fiddle. The paint of the Austro-Daimler Vent Noir was stunning, the comparable Puch Royal Force was nice but not as striking, and the same frame with humbler parts (Royal X) got a downright shoddy paint job by comparison. It’s okay, the ride is exquisite.
Thanks for posting your SDP story. With three bikes from Vienna, I am obviously a fan of Austrian bicycles.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-09-20, 06:22 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Originally Posted by John E
Thanks for posting your SDP story. With three bikes from Vienna, I am obviously a fan of Austrian bicycles.
I wish I had written the SDP story - I think a gentleman named Cohen wrote that one. I do have a story about this one, a Puch Royal X that I've had a long and checkered history with. I foolishly sold it in '87, found it had been stolen when I went to buy it back, and I searched for one like it for decades. Lo and behold, this one surfaced, only to turn out to be my original Puch my father bought me in 1978. It's back home safe and sound with me now, and will remain here!
Old 09-09-20, 06:31 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Ted Williams was their star athlete endorser, though, and many of Sears’ outdoorsy items were fitted with his name. I once owned a Spanish .22 target pistol manufactured by Star but branded “Ted Williams.” It seems to me some of my friends growing up had sporting goods with his name affixed. This was back when the massively thick Sears catalog fueled pre-teen boys with ideas for camping gear, bikes, sports equipment - pretty much everything.

Yes interesting that back in that era one of the most famous athletes, Ted Williams, a baseball player endorsed many different sport items including cycling, tennis, and guns. Today the athletes endorse politicians
Old 09-09-20, 06:54 AM
rustystrings61 

My weird little Ted Williams story - there was a lovely young lady I knew in college who was in the close, but still firmly in the friend zone. I don't remember how the subject of Ted Williams came up, but she, a proper young Southern lady, all but spit on the ground. Her father (since passed away) was Boston Red Sox pitcher Willard Nixon. As his daughter put it, "he pitched maybe his finest ball game ever against the New York Yankees, but all the papers could talk about was Ted Williams spitting at people who booed him."
Old 09-09-20, 07:35 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Yes interesting that back in that era one of the most famous athletes, Ted Williams, a baseball player endorsed many different sport items including cycling, tennis, and guns. Today the athletes endorse politicians
In that era, player salaries were not as high, so endorsements were a way to add to their income. In addition to his skills on the baseball field, Ted Williams was an avid hunter and fisherman, so Sears sought him out to endorse their line of better quality sporting goods. Sears never manufactured anything, rather they sold items manufactured to Sears' specifications. Sears had various price points, but the higher price points also equated to top notch merchandise.
Old 09-09-20, 10:48 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
My maternal grandfather worked at the Steyr factory making bicycles before WWII. I never met the man, and I had started my brilliant career as a bike frame builder before I ever learned that building bikes was 'in my blood'.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 09-09-20, 02:05 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 368 Posts